Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Marlena

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Marlena

Post by shamous o'reily on 1st November 2010, 09:08

Well, out of all my roses, its Marlena that has given me my first Flower. Being a little over enthusiastic, I could tell you how many flower buds I currently have on any one of my 164 roses I currently have growing, but this one just come out from no where and got me by surprise. As soon as I can work out my camera, I'll post up a pic. Very Happy

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Marlena

Post by shamous o'reily on 1st November 2010, 09:36

This rose has caught me by surprise. As I have only just recently built my new place of abode, I have only just planted ALL of my roses (bare rooted) in early August, and therefore the plants are still quite young. (After many teething problems at the Mt Barker Rose Hospital) The roses are growing quite well, with exeption to the Marlena's (I have 18). Half still look like the day the were planted (bare rooted), while the other half, with the exeption of a couple, have very minimal growth. As I have not grown Marlena before, I have currently (hopefully) put it to the breed being just a slow starter, so hence my surprise of Marlena giving me my first Flower in my new place of abode...... Smile

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 4th November 2010, 12:59

o.k. - think I've worked out my camera - have had an old windy up one until recently..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Yes, Yes, it is only face (of a rose) a "father" could love, but it is my first rose in many a year, so it gets a spot here. I have 18 Marlena's in this bed surrounded by a border made from "Edelweiss". I'll post up another pick when the bed starts taking shape. The Marlena, does seem to be a slow starter compared to my other roses - with the exception of the bush photographed.....

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th November 2010, 16:31

Is it 'Marlena' or 'Lilli Marlene'? It looks like the later. I notice it has one of Treloars yellow tags on it and Treloars sell both roses. I really like 'Lilli Marlene'. It's one of those common roses that I call a 'bread 'n' butter' rose... and is one that should receive more attention. Ity's flowers are less full and less formal than 'Marlena's flowers which, whilst still classed as a floribunda' have a more classical HT look about them. 'Lilli Marlene' definately doen't have that classical HT look and feel about it. 'Lilli Marlene is also slower to start for me here than most other roses. Either way it's a great rose Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 4th November 2010, 16:48

Well - you have me worried now simon. I have 2 garden beds eitherside of my entertaining area that I couldn't decide if I wanted "Marlena" or "Lilli Marlene", just knew I wanted a carpet of red (low) with a white border in those 2 areas, so I ended up doing one bed as "Marlena" and one bed as "Lilli Marlene", both with an "Edelweiss" white border, and see which bed ends up captivating me the most. This one is the from the "Marlena" bed. My "Lilli Marlene" seem to be somewhat taller at this stage, with none in flower, but I am still going to go home now and check, and hope I didn't mix one. (both of these types came from Thomam for Roses - but they may have outsourced to complete my order??????)

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 4th November 2010, 19:55

o.k. - blood presure back to normal.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Even so, have read one of your recent threads regarding your "not so rosa gigantea", I thought it best to double check. Out comes the books. Picture of flower = check, leaves = check, petal count, 18 = check. O.k. not second guessing myself now.

Still got a legitimate "Marlena" thread going.... cheers

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 4th November 2010, 20:08

Appologies, thought I had re-sized the pixels on the image Embarassed The tag does say "Marlena"

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley on 9th November 2010, 07:08

Congratulations on your first bloom shamous! Isn't it exciting Very Happy
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 9th November 2010, 09:10

Thank you Ripley, yes I am, but no one else around me seems to get it?? scratch

Oh, Simon, in response to your query, I checked to back of the tag and they are from 'Thomas for Roses', not 'Treloars'. I was very impressed with the couple that look after the business. The gentleman has been to my place several weeks ago to check on how my roses was doing and gave me some pointers etc as I was a bit concerned with their health at one point, and then he returned with his wife just recently (4 weeks later), to see how the advise was doing...... lol!

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 9th November 2010, 20:46

Good to hear... Smile I've not bought roses from them before but have spoken with looking for breeding stock... they were great to talk to.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum