Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Just missed out on being number 100

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Just missed out on being number 100

Post by shamous o'reily on 18th October 2010, 16:40

Hello All - and yes - the HRV is contagious - I know, I've caught it.

Well what can I tell you besides the rose library on the floor by my bed each night that I seem to be losing sleep over the last year (the time just fly's when your lost in those rose book pages). Having only recenly finished building my current home, my garden is quite young, so not worth any photos just yet. I have put in around 400 plants and trees over the last couple of years, but this year saw the start of my feature areas - The Rose Gardens!!

So far I have started off with the HT and floribundas. In 4 areas I have planted
20 x Ingrid Bergman (standards)
8 x Ingrid Bergman
6 x Tineke
48 x Edelweiss
18 x Lilli Marlene
16 x Marlena
6 x Oriana
4 x Blue Moon (Climbing)
14 x Radox Bouquet
12 x Charles De Gaul
4 x Song of Paris
2 x Sweet Heart
4 x Eiffel Tower
4 x Queen Elizabeth
1 x Madame Caroline Testout (Climbing)

Next year comes the David Austin flower Bed......with still more space to fill....should be kept busy....

shamous o'reily

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-09-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Just missed out on being number 100

Post by OzRose on 18th October 2010, 17:05

Hi from W.A
Sounds like you are having fun [and lots of hard work Laughing ] The photo's will be something to look forward to.

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th October 2010, 17:44

Hey! Another Taswegian Smile Good to see you here. Technically you might get to member 100 on a count back Wink... don't know what happened to Warren or why he left but seems like there is a position vacant around the 100 makr Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 19th October 2010, 06:41

Unless I am wrong, Shamous, listed that he is from Mt Barker S.A.. So how do you claim him as a Taswegian, or do you claim S.A. is part of your Island roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19th October 2010, 12:16

If you're in Mt Barker, I'm just across the freeway - drop in and see Teas unlimited in 2-3 weeks. Not to mentioned vast numbers of weeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 19th October 2010, 13:07

Hmmm... must be dreaming... thought it said Cygnet... *runs off to try and find who is from Cygnet then...*

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 19th October 2010, 13:09

Ahhhhh... the other new member; Sea-Runner, is from Cygnet... never mind me...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 21st October 2010, 09:03

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Yes Margaret, I am in the beautiful town of Mt barker (also just across from the freeway) - doesn't look like we are going to get much of a spring here this year though, was very long in comming and looks like it will be short in going. The heavy rain we had recently has also identified for me a few drainage problems in a specific area I need to get fixed quick smart......

Look forward to reading your posts in the future.....

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 21st October 2010, 22:40

A very warm welcome Shamouse,
I have just read your list of roses and what you intend to plant. Heavens above how much land do you have to play with This big!
Dance Dance Dance
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 22nd October 2010, 08:37

exactly 1 acre Carole, and believe me that's enough. I've been lerking through all the old threads trying to bring myself up to speed (as to not re-hash old-hat threads and bore everyone to tears), and compared to many on RT, this looks like small fish.....but you'd be surprised how many roses it takes to make a formal looking rose bed OMG!!!

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd October 2010, 13:00

Hi Shamous, try to get healthy roses irrespective of class. There are some very nice HT's in nursery catalogues that are supposed to be the latest and greatest but rarely live up to their advertising. Select for health as spraying
roses is a very unhealthy passtime. I have a lot of trouble growing modern English roses that on a quite (35 C sunny) hot day I can hear them yelling "Please send me back to my birth place in the UK". However there are possibly 5 in that large lot that are acceptable. Same with HT's, look for health amoung the hundreds available.

Above all ,enjoy your rose hobby and reserch before buying

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 24th October 2010, 11:41

Hi Shamous, it is nice to meet you !
I did that studying rose books and rose catalogues for many years,somtimes to almost daybreak, until I have ended up with about 900 different varieties, roughly half of Heritage and half of Modern. I am never bored tryingcatch to up with mowing and weeding in between my other hobby of breeding and working Kelpies. Thanks to over two hundred tall poles I got for free from a vineyard, my garden and new dog runs are starting to
compliment each other, in my mind anyway.
In my garden near Gulgong near Mudgee, David Austins are a very important part of it. I have found them very healthy and a lot grow well on their own roots.
Good luck Shamous with your garden ! At one time I thought Kangaroos etc. would stop me from having a large garden , also drought, but since last Christmas we have had regular good rainfall. So much that I have only had to water one and a half times since then. My worst garden experience was when a fire burnt a earlier garden of four hundred younger roses, at the moment I am living in my best garden experience although the roses are only just starting to bloom. My future is looking very rosy and garden peaceful, it is worth the work !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 25th October 2010, 11:27

Rosemeadow........Goooosssshhhh........I would be in rose heaven.

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by MsMW on 24th November 2010, 19:54

Hi Shamous....
i think i'll be dreaming about all those roses you have already and the space to put them in and the Time...

I love Blue Moon and have 1 little climber myself Smile
and with mother brain find it difficult remembering whether the bushes are Hertiage, Austins or Teas etc....however i'm doing ok at remembering their names eg "Blue Moon", Papa Maillien" etc.

you must have a big yard space to have such a large collection already well done and look forward to photo's.

I've posted a couple of not so great pics up today of my very very small plot.
Smile Ms MW

MsMW

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 25th November 2010, 11:35

Hi MsMW

Thanks for your hello. I have an acre, and judging by my back at the moment, thats enough....it will keep me young mind you, I get more exercise in the garden than I am do at the gym.

I have about 1/4acre spot left bare. I'm saving that to landscape in a couple of years with roses I've grown or hybridized myself. Nothing commercial or registered, just a bit of enjoyment and self satisifaction to enjoy myself and share here on RT.

My current project I am working on (designing and researching plants) is an area towards the back of the property (a bed about 30m x 3m) that I am going to mix plant some dwarF conifers and perenials with Yellow and orange David Austins (to be selected - but "Golden Celebration" is on top of the list), but I need to be carefull as I don't want it to be more than 3-4feet, and alot of the English roses can grow much taller. This is a very differenent direction to my other areas, as I have tended to go for mass rose garden plantings rather than mixed (I like my home to look like a European Palace.... Tips me \'at to ya .....well try to anyway Dooh )

I did notice on your intro, that your roses are all in pots. I have two climbers on order that I am going to put into pots. My first potted roses.....

Enjoy..JS.

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by MsMW on 25th November 2010, 20:15

Shamous....i hope you post pictures of your European Palace...French? or italian? Very Happy and it's gardens...and since your on top of Mt B i know that there isn't much rain in summer so no rolling green grassy hills.

The soil in this rental property is clay bases...over 10 1/2 years have tried tried to convert it to healthy soil to no avail as the chinese elm root systems are determined to suck the life out of anything new put in the ground by clumping their root system around it as well as the clay stops any moisture reach roots. So Pots it is for my beauties and even for the small amount of veg i try and grow.

Which Climbers did you buy? and will they be put in pots permenantly? are they for decorating lattice?

I've decided to move all the potted roses after seeing that the sun is now even higher this month to an area that recieves more morning sunlight. They seem to only get midday onwards sunlight which might explain the mildew Simon says is on the curling leafed bush.
Also this monsoonal rain we seem to be having up here makes the soil in the pots too moist something which i'm sure isn't helping them feel healthy.

Roses Ms MW

MsMW

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 26th November 2010, 09:19

Having not grown in pots before, I asked for advice from some experts on the topic here on RT, as I know roses are deep rooted plants and was concerned they may strangle themselves, so needed to make sure I veired myself to suitable varieties. I opted for 1xclimbing Renae and 1xclimbing pinkie, after some helpfull suggestions and then checking them out at some local (and not so local) rose gardens. They are to climb up 2 posts on a paved area in front of my Laundry door that hold up a pergola/veranda.

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 30th November 2010, 09:54

Thanks Simon for posting the thread regarding the Good bugs for our Roses. I thought I'd post this here as I noted you were making it a sticky thread, so I didn't want it clutter it with comments. I'd been lurking through web sites to better educate myself on the topic recently, so its another useful tool I'll be refering to here. Look forward to seeing more..... Very Happy

The scorpian was a bit of a freak out. Not sure if they're up my way. Snakes are my problem there, but they never stop to smell the roses.

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 18th January 2011, 11:10

Well, I'll take back my last comment.

I was pulling up 3 overgrown pink daisy bushes that I thought where going to be small little shrubs, but turned out to be growing 1.5m high by 3m wide and where overpowering 3 "Osiria" HT I had planted next to each of them several months ago.

As I pulled out the last half of the final daisy, a large brown snake slithered from underneath and went under a rock on the other side of the Osiria. Looks like he does like to smell the roses.

Margaret - your close to my way - have you seen any on your property this season...? Hide

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2011, 12:30

Shamous i was working on a property the other day and had this 6 ft brown snake slide between my feet, still amazed that i did'nt get bitten

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 18th January 2011, 12:38

Yes, I know they are protected, but if there near me or mine, I relocate them each way.People wll say that is wrong, but in my book, it is survival of the fittest.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th January 2011, 13:14

I normally let them go their way, there good for cleaning up rodents ect. Redbelly black snakes i never harm as they eat other snakes like the king Cobra, plus they are not really that lethal I heard

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th January 2011, 13:18

Live and let live is my motto

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shamous o'reily on 18th January 2011, 13:41

OzRoz - gees - would have given me a few more grey hairs that I can do without if one slithered between my legs . Had a red-belly the year before last towards the back of the property (not to mention a browny in my Laundry the year before that). Must say, I don't seem to have any mice.......I think if I took David's tack on things, I would faint by the time I got within a couple of feet to do the job. Would probably end up being me lopped at both end while I'm out... Injured

shamous o'reily

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 19th January 2011, 09:17

I saw a big brown too near the house recently; rang the Snake-away man but he couldn't find it. Expensive exercise. he said the baby browns are just as venomous as the adults, ie very.I usually see only one or two a year. I've put the compost bin as far as possible from the house, and I dose the garage with mousebait at times (not that that stops the mice coming back). The garage is redback heaven.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum