Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy Today at 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

altissimo

View previous topic View next topic Go down

altissimo

Post by Guest on 10th October 2010, 10:31

this is typical of altissimo foliage also a bloom thrown in altissmo X perfume delight

Back to top Go down

Re: altissimo

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th October 2010, 10:49

Again more questions Warren, Does Altissimo cross easy. What might the outcome be the other way round
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th October 2010, 14:34

altissimo is very easy to cross, just choose your pollinator well as altissimo 's single gene is very strong as with its colour

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th October 2010, 15:46

David... 'Altissimo' works as a pollen parent with EVERYTHING. My feeling with 'Altissimo' is to put it with something VERY double because you will get a reduction in petals in the progeny. I find the seeds VERY hard to germinate by conventional methods. I've taken to just leaving them in the fridge and forgetting about them until something happens... which hasn't yet. I've got 'Altissimo' x 'MME Isaac Pereire', x florist rose pollen, and x 'Euphrates' in the fridge now but no movement yet. If it germinated more easily I'd say 'Altissimo' is the perfect bridge variety because it is fertile as anything and if varieties that are less fertile are put with it maybe fertility can be introduced. For instance bracteata hybrids are hard to make and often have reduced fertility. One strategy may be to put them through something really fertile first to see if a fertile line can be established.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 14th October 2010, 12:58

this is an altissimo X playboy , not yet registered, growth is good with no disease, flower is single and similar in colour pattern as playboy, grows to about 2.5 ft high x 3ft wide

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 15th October 2010, 02:36

not bad, great contrast through the dark green foliage Thumbsup

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31st October 2010, 21:29

here are some examples of the using altissimo, the results can vary greatly depending on the pollinator.

this is a cross with playboy

this is a second generation cross , the height of this rose is 1ft from ground level to the top of the flowers, the flowers are pale yellow fading to white, these have been out now for a week and still looking ok

this is a cross of altissimo and perfume delight , a little different than the top two

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st November 2010, 06:46

Love the colour in the first 2 shots and the flower is not complex, just great to look at. Is it possible to get perfume in theses type of flower and stay "singlish"
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 1st November 2010, 12:46

howdy roseman,

just had a sniff of the yellow blend single, it has a perfume similar to a canina

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 2nd November 2010, 04:17

I'm now convinced that this 'Altissimo' is a great breeding plant cheers . Breeding with moss roses I will take also under consideration.

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2nd November 2010, 06:01

guten tag bemo, alitissimo is good, have nt had to much go wrong with it, the moss roses are interesting, gives you another character as in the moss and scented flowers, laneii which i use the flowers are quite big , but man thorny, be prepared to wear steel gloves. my sympathie is fully loaded with devoloping hips, have you worked out who this is LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2nd November 2010, 09:04

Laneii is a survivor rose, found in various old cemeteries - and suckering vigorously. Are your seedlings suckering?
I'm impressed with your breeding successes. I've decided I don't have the knack.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2nd November 2010, 12:49

the laneii has nt suckered yet, but the great western (bourbon)crosses are sneaking a few now and then. the laneii cross blooms are quite heavily scented

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd November 2010, 19:25

THIS IS ROSE A BRED A FEW YEARS AGO, TOOK A LITTLE WHILE TO ESTABLISH ITS SELF, NOW GROWS TO THE HEIGHT OF AROUND 4FT WITH CANES CONCISTING OF 5 TO 7 FLOWERS PER STEM, THE COLOUR IS SILVERY MAUVE SEMI DOUBLED AND HAS SCENT, THIS ROSE IS EXTREMELY FERTILE , SETTING HIPS VERY FREELY WITH MOST SEED VIABLE. BREEDING IS (ALTISSIMO X FRAGRANT PLUM)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 3rd November 2010, 21:24

OZROZ wrote:..... have you worked out who this is LOL
that was pretty easy, although one have always to be aware that a new member could be another 'Thee'. She is a master of disguises (like an octo’ ) and appears often in different clothes.
roflmao

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12th November 2010, 17:45

this a new one about to be registered, [/b] just joey X sport of charlotte graham . charlotte graham is a wendy X altissimo[b] , the sport is very pale pink on the verge of white , fringed with darker pink. good old altissimo gives me an other one

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th November 2010, 11:17

this will be a supprise to all the altissimo followers, some times good things can happen , this rose was registered years ago as MOTHER FREEDOM it is a cross of [b](WENDY X ALTISSIMO), grows to around 4ft and has a heavy damask fragrance, the bloom has a bit of weather damage but you get the idea

Back to top Go down

Post by OzRose on 15th November 2010, 11:26

Goodness ! what is lurking back in the depths of this one's bloodlines ?
I see both Wendy and Altissimo's sort of end in dead-ends of knowledge.

Nice one ozwoz Thumbsup

cheers. Rosalie
OzRose

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2010-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th November 2010, 12:58

hi rosalie

if you look at FREE STYLER on HMF you will see the same pattern emerging , i would say it is definately on the wendy side . wendy was bred from a rose WHITE DREAM known to have thrown a hell of a lot of sports, thats one of the reasons i used in my earlier years, the amount of variation is unbelievable. wendy will not set hips by its self, but once i worked it out , every bloom set a hip for me and the seed though tiny is extremely fertile with almost every one germinating

hope you liked the explanation

cheers warren

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 15th November 2010, 17:17

Well done Warren, I like them both. Keep up the good work

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11th January 2011, 15:35

I am now convinced, some where deep in Altissimo's genes there is a super double of an old garden form. First it happened with Mother Freedom and last year I did a (Baronne e De Rothchild X Arjuna) arjuna is a
Altissimo X Blue Moon, the flower on the new seedling , to look at , is very similat to something bred back in the 1800's , ultra double old fashion form.
Genes what else are they hiding in there?

Edited 12th
Did a scan of Delbards pre 1960's it is amazing what the flower structures looked liked and what they used in their breeding programmes. Also scanned meiland's pre 1940's , it is amazing what HT's looked like compared with the plastic looking things of today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum