» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

Seedling - graft or axe?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seedling - graft or axe?

Post by Meryl on 24th September 2010, 12:01

Hello everyone. I think - hope - I've just mastered posting pix so now I can ask for some help on deciding the fate of a chance seedling.

A Rugosa seedling appeared in my mountain garden, where I have only Frau Dagmar Hastrup and Rugosa Alba. I brought it home to Sydney and tucked it into a vege bed on probation. Three years on, having studied HMF, I would say it is very like the Frau, although a bit deeper in colour. The buds are red, the open flowers lilac with between five and eight petals.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Scent is very good, though not knock-you-down fabulous, the bush is low (about 80 cm)

and so far I've had no hips (but then again I hadn't many flowers last year either. Being a seedling, this plant is suckering everywhere!
I'm inclined to introduce it to Glyphosate. It's either that or getting it grafted so it doesn't sucker. Should I bother?

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Seedling - graft or axe?

Post by Admin on 24th September 2010, 16:30

Being a rugosa hybrid, Meryl, you probably do need to graft it.

Regarding the hips, a lot of rugosa prefer to set hips from cross pollen. My Scabrosa has a reputation for setting lots of hips but mine doesn't and I put it down to low cross pollination between all the roses here. I had a conversation with Paul Barden about this some years ago now and he is of the opinion that bees and other insects don't play a very big part in cross pollinating roses and that rose pollen is too large to be caught much by the wind. I seem to get a lot of native bees on Scabrosa, rugosa 'alba' and Ann Endt so I am not so sure that generalisations like this can be made but I can say that the rate seems to be low.

I was also going to say, before I read your intro, that it looks a lot like the good Frau. I kept a Frau seedling myself, which still hasn't flowered for me, from seed I collected at Woolmers. It's in its second year this year so I am hoping for a flower this year though am not going to hold my breath... they can take 3-4 years to flower from seedling and then remontancy seems to gradually improve.

If its not hurting anyone why not keep it. It has a lovely flower and it looks like when the leaves have developed fully it will have a great shape. Maybe we can even persuade you to do more crosses with it this season. I have a few seedlings up this season between rugosa 'alba' and a few HT. I'm trying to make a yellow rugosa hybrid. If you decide to bin it, send Bruce some budwood for grafting and maybe someone else can use it in breeding. It looks like it sometimes goes semi-double... very pretty!

Good to see you mastered the photo hosting system... what were the MAC issues so I can add them to the tutorial?

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 26th September 2010, 19:10

Meryl, NO to R/up or bin. Uncle scrounge will take it if you do not want it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Meryl on 2nd October 2010, 08:50

Right after we had started this discussion, I came across a reference which suggested that Frau Dagmar comes true from seed. The more I look at my seedling, the more convinced I am that it is identical to the good Frau except for rather more intense colour - and this last could be just the result of the difference in conditions between Katoomba and Sydney.

So I think I will give it the heave-ho as I want the vegetable bed for vegies. If it is Frau Dagmar for all intents and purposes, do you still want it, David? If you do, I will pot some of it up for you, to await our next meeting.

Meryl

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-07-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 2nd October 2010, 14:07

Take it David!!! The good Frau is also an excellent breeder. You can't say, however, that it IS the good Frau (whether it looks the same or not...)... it should be known as 'Frau Meryl' Wink

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum