Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Reve D'Or - suggestions please!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reve D'Or - suggestions please!

Post by pfm on 12th September 2010, 10:37

I have purchased 2 Reve D'Or which I had intended to plant under 2 old almond trees. I wanted to train them to climb up into the tree. I'm having second thoughts wondering how shade tolerant they are. If anyone has experience with this rose I would be very grateful for the advice! I am also wondering if Reve D'Or also goes by the name Ravensworth or if this is a totally different rose?

pfm

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Reve D'Or - suggestions please!

Post by Alee on 12th September 2010, 11:01

Pfm, welcome to the forum.

The other names for Rêve d'Or are Golden Chain and Condesa da Foz.

According to Peter Beales Roses UK, Rêve d'Or will tolerate a small amount of shade.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th September 2010, 11:11

Hi,

Have a look here" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You will see all the names that 'Reve d'Or' goes by in the upper left corner (i.e. Condesa da Foz and Golden Chain). You wil lfind lots of other people's experience with this rose there as well.

I have my 'Reve d'Or' planted on a fence but have also read that it is shade tolerant. I have a banksia rose (double yellow form) planted at the base of an old fruit tree to do the same. The old fruit tree is ailing and doesn't get as many leaves as it use to but still it casts a bit of shade. The banksia rose doesn't flower for me yet but what it will do is throw long climbing canes to get it up into the canopy. Once it does it will be exposed to more light and it will then spread out across the top of the ailing tree and form a new rose canopy, solving these light issues. You will find 'Reve d'Or will do something similar though it isn't as rampant as the banksia rose. You may not get many flowers initially (and it takes a while to settle in anyway) but once it gets it head out again it will take off and flower its head off.

Last edited by Simon on 12th September 2010, 12:20; edited 3 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pfm on 12th September 2010, 11:40

Thankyou for that link and the info. I think I will give them a go under the trees. The almond trees are old and don't get too leafy now so the Reve D'Or should look lovely growing through them. I will plant them today and look forward to prolific blooms in a few years time! Thanks again!

pfm

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 12th September 2010, 14:29

Hi pfm, I have a 3 year old bush growing on a post and rail fence. It does send out long canes 360 degrees around its base so some canes will respond to training but others need cutting.

Mine gets sun from 7am to 3pm average in the growing season. It is very vigorous despite having Mosaic Virus that only shows up when the plant is stressed.

Always check there are sufficient nutriments around trees, you might have to feed the roses well to get good growth.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 12th September 2010, 14:36

hi all

Have a look at the photos of Rev D'Or on our galery at

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

These roses were on an arch under a large poinciana tree that we have since removed. The roses grew and flowered well but you do need to feed them more.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by pfm on 12th September 2010, 20:07

Thanks, everyone, for the great information. I planted both roses this afternoon. I haven't before planted a creeper/rambler to go up a tree. I was intending to attach wire into the ground and then gently wrap that around the bottom of the trunk to train the rose up. Once the rose reaches the branches I am thinking I would just let it do its own thing, perhaps threading canes through branches if necessary. Am I on the right track? I have plans to plant Wedding Day, Rosa Filipes Kiftsgate, Dorothy Perkins, Kew Rambler and Rosa Multiflora Carnea in other trees next year, so I really want to get things right. Once again I would love your advice or even the name of a good book. Thanks Smile

pfm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th September 2010, 20:26

Don't know how well 'Dorothy Perkins' would do the job... It's a rambler that is very lax... I have to keep winding mine around things to keep it going where I want instead of straight along the ground. It also producers lots and lots of basal shoots to try and go along the ground. I prune these off regularly. 'Wedding Day' is pretty huge. I've got a few of them growing. One was up in a tree for the past 20 years... it didn't seem to like this much though the tree canopy was very dense. I've cut the trees down recently and cut WD back hard to allow it to run up a more open silver birch. The other one in the ground is being trained as a free-standing big shrub. I've got potted cuttings of both these that I'll be selling off in a few months. Roses I have being trained up trees here at the moment are Rosa gigantea, 'Souvenir de Madam Leonie Viennot', Rosa Banksiae (double Yellow), 'Gladsome', 'Adélaide d'Orléans', and 'Wedding Day'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by pfm on 12th September 2010, 21:05

Thanks, Simon. Your climbers and ramblers sound fantastic. I'll look into Dorothy Perkins some more. I live on a large property and have lots of space so Wedding Day is definately going to make an appearance! How have you attached your climbers/ramblers to the base of the tree? I have read about a few different methods but am just not sure which way to go.

pfm

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th September 2010, 23:38

I haven't. As they grow I'm just pointing them in the right direction. Wedding Day grows exceptionally quickly. Mine put out 8ft canes in its first year from a small 30cm cutting. It is well armed with thorns so as the canes reach the tree they tend to cling. 'Adélaide d'Orléans' isn't so much like that. It needs a structure to support it until it gets up there so I'm attaching it directly to the trunk of thre tree and wrapping it around it. This also encourages lateral growth. I don't usualy like twisting stems around things. Long lax stems like that of 'Dorothy Perkins' can be wound without too much trouble and her fierce thorns act like grapling hooks, locking into anything around it. If you could get it up there and encourage it to keep growing upwards then it would stay there for sure. Wedding Day makes long stout branches as well as very long limber ones. It has no trouble growing upwards here. Gigantea is still young and so I am still waiting for it to settle in. 'Altissimo' grows here against a wall in a fan shape. Its stems are so stout that I haven't actually attached it to the wall. It just grows flat against the wall and I keep cutting of bracnehs that stray outwards and is now about 12ft tall and 10ft wide. 'Pierre de Ronsard' grows flat against a fan shaped trellis I made and also has thick rigid stems but it gets cankers really badly if it is allowed to sway around too much so I tie it securely to the trellis. 'Climbing Iceberg's stems are fairly soft and pliable. It is tied against its trellis but it grows upwards pushing its canes into and through anything it can to get a foothold.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is it depends on the climber as to how you approach it. Wedding Day will shoot straight up strongly and will stay up in the tree. Dorothy Perkins will want to sprawl over the ground and will need wrapping around something to get it up there and once up there you will need to encourage it to stay up there. My multiflora bushes grow as shrubs. I don't know how they'd go as climbers or tree scramblers. Traditional wisdom says to plant them about a metre from the trunk and then run them up a support to the tree itself. This is as much to avoid competition with the trees roots as anything. I guess it also depends on the tree you want them to grow up. Long trunks will require you to treat them like big pillars whereas trees with lower branching will allow you to more or less just guide them up as I have done. I have a laevigata that I'm trying to work out a place for now too... really hard to try and find a place for this house eater.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 13th September 2010, 06:41

Paul as you have said that there is some land where you live, have a look at "Mermaid" as a rose if you like yellow and "thorny" one's. It would climb with some help also.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 13th September 2010, 09:24

Sally Allison's book would be a good start. "Climbing and Rambling Roses" etc - it's intended for NZ but close enough. Hodder Moa Beckett Ltd, my edition is 1998. ISBN 1-86958-674-3. Try www.abebooks.com. If you go to the advanced search, you can limit the search to copies available in Aus.

Back to top Go down

Post by pfm on 13th September 2010, 10:33

Thanks, everyone! I knew I found this forum for a reason! I'll just monitor all the climbers I have put in this year to see what they do and how they cope with any wind etc. Talking with experienced rose growers is really the way to learn!

pfm

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 18th September 2010, 23:45

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Here is a photo of Wedding Day around a dead tree at my friend Lynette's rose garden. I will take another photo this year showing the tree too.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum