» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Ten Thousand Camellias Red China Rose seedling updates

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ten Thousand Camellias Red China Rose seedling updates

Post by Admin on 22nd August 2010, 19:49

I've put some information and pictures of some of my current seedlings on my blog here:

1. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

and

2. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Ten Thousand Camellias Red China Rose seedling updates

Post by Guest on 23rd August 2010, 09:29

That's an intriguing lot. Stupid me, I was assuming it was close enough to a species to breed true; but of course even species can't be (almost) certain of breeding true unless they're isolated from potential cross-pollinators.
We offered a plantlet of Ten Thousand Lights to a lady going back to Italy (which apparently doesn't worry much about quarantine), to compare with her Ten Thousand Camellias, but she said it was likely to be the same. (And her suitcase was already full of odd Teas & Chinas from here). Pity, it looks like there won't be another chance to grow them side by side.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd August 2010, 17:37

The variation I'm seeing is quite large too and I don't think it is due to cross pollinations. Ralph Moore was quoted once as saying something along the lines of never having seen any OP seedlings that could be anything other than a self... I think these too are selfs but that significant variation exists in the genes of Ten Thousand Camellias to produce a wide range of forms. So far two have flowered and two are about to flower. The two that have flowered were hot pink and single (I didn't catch this one in time to photograph it... it was a large single of poor form IHMO, like Mutabilis really without the nice chromatic shift), and blush pink with a rose pink reverse in semi-double (with a nice perfume) pictured on the blog page. Of the two that are about to flower, one is going to be a white single (I pulled a nearly mature bud off and opened it to reveal 5 white petals) and the other I think will also be a blush pink that is more double as the bud is almost round as though packed with petals. The single white is the strongest one. I call it SV-OP-2010-TTCRCR-1 as a code name. A remontant large single white flowering China (shrub). It will be really nice I think... I can't actually think of a nice white remontant single shrub rose, except maybe 'Sally Holmes'.

So stay tuned.. there are 16 of these seedlings altogether. I'll add the to my blog as more progress is made.

Last edited by Simon on 23rd August 2010, 18:36; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 23rd August 2010, 18:20

Nevada as a nice single white remontant shrub? It suckers a bit though.
Better than rugosa alba, I think.
Will watch with interest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd August 2010, 18:38

Ah yes... Nevada is nice.. I don't recall it being very recurrent though... we have it growing in the grounds of the school I work at. I was going to grab some pollen off it this year to use myself too Smile It's actually a really beautiful rose... big flowers. The flowers on the seedling mentioned about are going to be quite small I think.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum