The China above is about to flower for the first time... stay tuned Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New seedlings galore...

Post by Dave on 15th July 2010, 19:01

Any flowers yet Simon? Your seedlings look fantastic!

I've just got mine out of the fridge ready to sow. This year I'll sterilise the soil and be more careful.

Are you soaking your seeds in anything Simon? I always wish i could get better germination.

I've just potted up 3 healthy plants of Clinophylla x bracteata, growing well in the greenhouse. Let me know when you need them.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 15th July 2010, 20:55

No flowers yet... the cold weather has really slowed them down... germination, however, going through the roof. Even in the cold I'm getting loads of germination outside in the little greenhouse. I checked this afternoon and saw a whole stack of new 'Temple Bells' hybrids coming up... and some movement on a little experiment I am conducting that I will report on over the coming weeks.

Only thing I did different this year was stratify my seeds in peat instead of perlite. The thinking was/is that the peat contains microorganisms similar to those found in soil that decompose the achene during stratification allowing the germination inhibitors to leach out quickly and weaken the suture between the two halves of the achene. I'm very happy with it so far. It seems to be working a treat. I'm checking seeds every weekend at the moment because they are starting to sprout in the bags in the fridge. I've even managed to get an OP 'Green Ice' seed to germinate... and it looks to be a good strong grower so far too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 16th July 2010, 06:42

Your seedlings are way ahead of mine! I put all the hips in the fridge ages ago and only just cleaned them yesterday. What sort of peat, Simon? I've got coco, but not the real stuff.

Hey, isn't this the most addictive thing about roses - seedlings germinating and then flowering YAY!! bounce

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 16th July 2010, 18:54

The peat I have is Brunnings Peat Moss. A small 5L bag has done pretty much all the seeds so far. Was only about $5-7 for the bag. As I notice germinations I empty the whole lot onto the surface of the potting mix in a tray or a pot (depending how many seeds there are) and then lightly cover the whole lot with sieved potting mix to make a fine cover. If I have perlite a covering of this goes over too to reduce damping off. It's been great because I haven't had to mess around with planting neat rows (I find menial repetitive tasks difficult... short attention span and all Rolling Eyes). I wouldn't change when you do yours Dave. I decided to experiment with my seeds this year because our growing season is so short. I felt the seedlings weren't getting a good enough head start before it started getting cold again so I decided to start mine during winter so that when spring does hit they hit the ground running. I figured they germinate in the fridge so would probably still germinate even during the height of one of our winters and temperatures in the little greenhouse are still reaching 20-25+ on a nice day. The China seedlings seem to love it in there. The 0-47-19 seedlings are doing nicely and the Sister Therese seedlings are powering along. The Floradora seedlings are coming along nicely and my little Baby Love seedling is putting out new growth as well... though slowly. So far the experiment seems to be paying off though we are still to have our coldest weather here. The clinophylla seedlings aren't growing but they are still nice and green and healthy. The clinophylla x bracteata seedlings (only got three as well) are the same. I've still had no gigantea seedlings germinate. Laevigata has stayed fully leafed up this year so I hope it will power away in spring to allow further experimentation. So yep.. this is THE best part of it... so many seedlings and so much promise... I just love it Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum