» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

When did you realize that you were hooked on roses?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

When did you realize that you were hooked on roses?

Post by Guest on 8th June 2010, 14:29

I have early memories of my Mum's mildew prone red polyantha growing at Ingleburn NSW & of an aunt & me visiting her 'Papa Meilland' for a sniff everytime I visited her at Campsie but then nothing concerning roses for years.

In 2000, while attending a flower show at Engadine, my late Nana & me came across a single (& absolutely perfect) bloom of 'Julia's Rose'. In that moment I just knew roses were for me. Next day I ordered 2 plants of 'Julia's Rose' - one for me & one for my Nana - and within a week I had over a dozen roses. Working at a big nursery at the time helped my addiction along!

My Dad tells me my great-grandfather grew beautiful roses in England so maybe it's genetic LOL.

Anyway, I look forward to reading when, where & why your love affair with the mighty rose began!

Back to top Go down

Re: When did you realize that you were hooked on roses?

Post by Admin on 8th June 2010, 15:02

It was when I was a bit older than 10 years old... I struck my first cuttings of 'Si' and thought this was so cool.. my family are nursery people and farmers (orchardists) too.. so I do believe genetics has a lot to do with it.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th June 2010, 15:43

Well little wonder you are searching for 'Si' Simon! I hope you find it again someday soon; I will keep looking for it, for you, too!

Yep! Some things are just in the blood! I think my nephew will come back to roses in the long run...

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate on 8th June 2010, 16:39

I was a very later starter, my first few roses went in 15 years ago and then a few years after that the 2nd...............and so on Twisted Evil
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th June 2010, 21:33

Better late than never I say Rose Petal.

I'm up near Mittagong atm & tomorrow I am going to all the places I know of where roses are sold...I bet I go home with a car full! Carefully & thoughtfully selected of course! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th June 2010, 21:38

Gonna call you 'Impulse Man'

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 8th June 2010, 21:45

roflmao

That actually looks just like me!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by The Estate on 9th June 2010, 08:08

Damo wrote:Better late than never I say Rose Petal.

I'm up near Mittagong atm & tomorrow I am going to all the places I know of where roses are sold...I bet I go home with a car full! Carefully & thoughtfully selected of course! Laughing

That is why I WILL not and DO not go near a nursery as I know that the car will be chockers by the time I get home Suspect
The Estate

Number of posts : 498
Registration date : 2010-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th June 2010, 00:32

OK I managed to hold back...mostly! Bought 'Ruby Celebration' & the new climbing rose 'Moonlight' & a nice strong-looking plant of a rose called 'Tamango' which is supposed to have 'Mutabilis' in its background!?!

Also bought 'Renae'...

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th June 2010, 06:30

Damo, what sort of cost if you do not mind. Tamango Iv'e heard of and memory tells me it is good. Is "moonlight" a new Clb or have I heard of it before, I think I have seen it growing out on a property at the back of Mudgee scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th June 2010, 10:40

G'day David!

The 'Moonlight' I bought is the new climber from Kordes (not the hybrid musk) & it was $18.90 newly potted up (as was 'Ruby Celebration').

Both 'Tamango' & 'Renae' were about $9.00 each - Big W & Bunnings - & are excellent plants (the only way to go IMO LOL). I saw so many spindly & dehydrated roses yesterday it wasn't funny. In fairness...there were still lots of great looking rose plants around too.

Off to Campbelltown now to see what I can find. Have a great day all!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 10th June 2010, 17:04

That greedy Damo buying up all the best roses for himself, might be nothing left for us.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th June 2010, 17:55

roflmao

Don't worry Bruce...plenty of roses left at the shops & nurseries for everyone. Hundreds actually...

I bought 'Fire & Ice' today because it looks nice & I have dared to try & grow 'Joy of Life' again (3rd & final try...I promise myself LOL).

Also bought 'Handel' because I have always wanted to give it a try; I keep reading it is prone to BS so I will soon find out!

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th June 2010, 18:12

Don't worry Bruce... he keeps on buying those HT and floridumda things... we have to send him some real roses L.O.L.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10th June 2010, 18:21

Nice dig at me! LOL. Apart from a couple of varieties (which extends to "real" roses too), I don't have any problem growing the majority of floribundas & hybrid teas with great success at my place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee on 10th June 2010, 18:50

hi everybody. I have not looked in for a while but now is rose buying time and I am just as susceptable as the rest of you even though my garden is FULL.
I had no intentions of buy roses yesterday but Jude the Obscure and Red Pixie became mine in a weak moment.
In a few weeks two climbing Gold Bunny and Rosa Moyesii "Geranium" will come in the mail. GB is gong to cover the piers of the new deck out the back and Moyesii is coming because I saw it at an open garden covered in gloroius orange urn shaped hips and I was smitten.
A lot of my roses have to be moved this winter because of the aformentioned deck so a bit of re-landscaping is happening to make room for them. Fortunately I did not have to ask for the fence to be moved out further!

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee on 10th June 2010, 18:52

Oh, I see I have diverged from the subject of this thread. Sorry Damo. Embarassed
I became hooked on roses about 5-6 years ago when I saw a garden full of roses and the owner generously gave me lots of plants and taught me how to grow them. I quickly became hooked.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th June 2010, 06:09

What do they say when in Rome do as the Romans do. If the shoe fits wear it. In other words if it works keeps on doing it, roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th June 2010, 06:22

I first came in contact with roses 50 plus years ago, my dad had about 30 odd roses. The one that sticks in my mind is "blackboy" growing along our back pailing fence where I grew up at Bass Hill(outer western suburbs Sydney), all these were pruned and then "painted" with lime wash to kill any form of desease, loved them ever since.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 11th June 2010, 08:08

Hi,
same here. My dad had Blackboy, Peace, Crimson Glory and Shot Silk as climbers growing along the verandah. I remember some of the names of his roses - Sutter's Gold, Lavender Pinocchio, McGredy's Sunset. I was probably about ten years old at the time. I must have been interested even then or I wouldn't have remembered the names.
I didn't own any roses of my own until about 2000 when I started two large garden beds devoted solely to roses. At one stage I had nearly 300, but it's back to a reasonable number now - only 200.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 11th June 2010, 23:54

Damo you are in as good a spot as any to grow HT's
Nearly every lady looking for roses wants high centered extremely fragrant blooms that can be vased. Unfortunatly here in Sydney these roses require a lot of care. I notice a lot of front yard gardens with HT's all along the front have changed to natives due to roses being high maintainence plants.
It's unfortunate the heat and humidity loving roses are almost unheard of due to nurseries pushing cold hardy PBR HT's.

I have a lot of Australian bred HT's that are possibly bred from these cold hardy roses that don't grow well in our coastal climate. However I am keeping the dream alive by propagating them. One in particular is 'Lubra'
that has a short life here on the coast but would go well down Goulburn way.

Just at the moment Mrs B R Cant is in full bud and not one Blackspot leaf
to be seen. Mrs. BR C and Crepuscule are just fantastic roses.
I met a guy at a wedding reception sitting at our table, he related to me his HT rose problems.
I mentioned I grow roses that ARE EVERGREEN, FLOWER IN FLUSHES THROUOUT THE ENTRE YEAR, NEVER NEED SPRAYING OR PRUNING and bush up closer to the ground.
He replied "I will be down to see you next week"

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek on 12th June 2010, 10:33

Considering that my mum, my aunt, my grandmother and my other aunt (dad's sister) were all passionate gardeners I think I got hooked on gardening after playing in my maternal grandmother's fernery when I was 3 yrs old. When I was a in primary school, the next door neighbour grew roses and was also a passionate gardener. She always encouraged me into her garden and showed what was happening. I was 7yrs old and had to go to the dentist - I'd had a fall and chipped a tooth - and I remember not having an anaesthetic. But the dentist gave me a beautiful apricot rose. I can still see it in my mind. And the smell! Citrusy, cinammony, powerful - just fabulous. He grew roses when he wasn't being a dentist. He was also a family friend.

Lauriek

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th June 2010, 16:51

Damo wrote:Nice dig at me! LOL. Apart from a couple of varieties (which extends to "real" roses too), I don't have any problem growing the majority of floribundas & hybrid teas with great success at my place.

Hey... what's a little dig between friends... I spent today cutting back some of those HT and floribunda things too... they al look pretty good at this time of the year... leafless roflmao

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 13th June 2010, 18:45

Simon it is quite dry and cold around Goulburn so if HT's are going to do well in Australia then that is the best spot to grow them.

Thanks Damo for sharing your roses and experiments with us. I just love your enthuseasm and your love of roses shows through.

Keep growing, pollinating and stay healthy.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 13th June 2010, 20:47

Damo knows it's nothing serious... he's a great guy and a valued new friend Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum