Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

better

Post by Guest on 11th April 2010, 23:51

Very nice Bruce.

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 23rd April 2010, 23:39; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better)

Back to top Go down

Re: Bruce's seedlings

Post by Ozeboy on 12th April 2010, 21:30

Hello Neil, thanks for your interest, will try to remember all accurately.

No 1, 2, 3, are mostly OP seedlings from Gloire des Rosomanes, Remember Me HT, An unnamed Commercial type HT, Mr. Lincoln HT, Iceberg and another unnamed HT. They were an experiment and my first germination attempt based on Henry Kuskas methods. eg beach sand, peroxide water, Bromelain and cool red light in the fridge etc. G des R is a very fertile mother plant so more than 75% were from her. I'm sorry now that I didn't keep them seperate to know exactly from where they were bred.

The seeds were placed in the fridge beginning of June 2008 and placed on a window shelf August 2008 for germination. Upon germination they were put into Jiffy Pots ( Compressed peat pots ) then hardened off and placed in 5" pots outside with overhead protection. Winter 2009 they were wintered outside with no protection ( Possibly 12 light frost nights)
The pix was taken December 2009.

No 4 is a climbing Souvenir de Wootton budded April 2009 on 2 year old Multiflora. The bud was activated mid August 2009 and the pix was taken December 2009. Potting mix is recycled Hydroponic tomato mix.

No 5 is a batch of about 200 assorted HT budded April 2009 on 3 month old Multiflora. Buds were activated September 2009 and pix taken end of November 2009. Potting mix is cheapest bulk with no fertiliser added.
Note the difference in the growth due mainly to older rootstock, larger climber rose and hydroponic nutrients.

Hope this answers your questions.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th April 2010, 21:37

What's the flower like on the climber Bruce?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 12th April 2010, 21:57

Red Cupped to Globular shape. There is a good pix of the climber on HMF. I also have Souvenir de Wootton bush plants.

I do have a large selection of young plants but my computer skills have not kept up with propagation.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th April 2010, 22:07

Nice big ruffled flowers...

I also reckon that the nice apricot coloured seedling's flower will continue to improve over the coming years. I'd be putting this one in the ground this winter to see what it can do. I really like 'Gloire des Rosomanes' as a parent. I'd like to use it myself a bit one day.

Admin

Back to top Go down

better

Post by Guest on 13th April 2010, 00:10

Thanks, good info. I liked the idea of red light myself but since I take the lazy way and after having hips on more than one plant with seeds coming out the top I figured they already had their red light. Advanced trait? Cheers

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 23rd April 2010, 23:42; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 13th April 2010, 06:42

Neil, budding is a worthwhile skill I am still learning after 15 years.

In Australia we use Multiflora rootstock at various ages. I am still experimenting with budding onto it when it is 3 months, 1 year, two years and 3 years old. The growth from a bud on 3 year old rootstock has to be seen to be believed. I have an idea that budding new seedlings onto 2 and 3 year rootstocks will bring forward the maturity so one can see the end result well before it can be achieved if left as seedlings.

Would suggest you find a commercial budder in your area that is willing to pass on the skills.

Simon, thanks for the suggestion to put these in the ground which I will do this month now the very hot weather has passed. I have learn't a lot from
this rose Hybridising section of the forum and before that from Henry's papers. It's nice to show you some of the results.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 16th April 2010, 04:41

Bruce,
your small batch od assorted HT's ( No5) seems to be larger as you mentioned. I would believe that's more than 300 ?

enormous Thumbsup

keep on breeding
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Good advise ozeboy

Post by Guest on 16th April 2010, 07:01

better

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 23rd April 2010, 23:45; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : better)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 16th April 2010, 16:35

Bemo, I think there was close to 700 but the old memory is letting me down a lot lately. Tend to remember things that happened when younger but sometimes forget what I did this morning.

The classic is when doing a building job I need materials or tools and walk down to where they are and then forget what I came to the shed for.

Never mind you won't miss out, your turn is coming.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 17th April 2010, 01:04

Ozeboy wrote:.....The classic is when doing a building job I need materials or tools and walk down to where they are and then forget what I came to the shed for.
Never mind you won't miss out, your turn is coming.

sometimes still there confused confused confused I never go shopping without purchasing list...... and a lot of younger people have even greater dropouts.
roflmao

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: