by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Hello

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello

Post by Guest on 3rd April 2010, 06:14

Thought I would just post some pictures and managed to put them in a file but that's it. I e-mailed them to Simon and will see if it worked. The pictures where mostly of the second attempt to grow by seeds. I now have about 300 of them planted outside in the real world. You should see how the wind flattens some of them to the ground, but 1/4 inch hail just bounced off the leaves. Good thing that only lasted a few minutes. Growing roses from seed gives a whole new meaning and experience to having roses. We'll see what happens. Last year wasn't so good but the learning curve is pretty steep. Thanks for the info on this site.

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello

Post by Admin on 3rd April 2010, 12:59

G'Day Neil. I got the images and will process them and post them for others to see. Growing roses from seed is one of the most rewarding things I have ever been involved with and the people who do grow roses from seed, such as the people here or the people on RHA, are a wonderful knowledgeable group of people. People have been more than happy to help me over the years and I am more than happy to do the same. Welcome abord. I look forward to seeing more of your seedlings and will help you through posting your images directly yourself too.

Cheers,

Simon

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 3rd April 2010, 13:07

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Looks like you start yours indoors. Do you do it under lights?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd April 2010, 14:55

Thanks Simon I started 10 trays over a series of days on 1/3/10 and had them in the basement along with 4 trays from last year with one 4 foot two bulb light fixture and two overhead lights and a heater under the bench set at 62 degrees F. After 12 weeks in a cold dark refrigerator anything was better and what a mess the baggies where in. These seedlings have pressed the weather envelop all year.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th April 2010, 02:37

On my computer after the copy tab is hit the little box turns blue, go there and hit the right mouse button and you get another box and pick copy then go up and hit the image box then the paper clip box appears and hit once to get the line and use the right mouse button again and another box appears hit paste and something shows up, this is what you want, then hit o.k. then move then screen down and hit Preview and if you like it hit Send. Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th April 2010, 04:17

Neil. Hello. and welcome. Neil I have many questions to ask will limit it to 2 at a time, simple one's first.
1. In one photo I think I see peat pots and if so is that one of your starting methods.
2. In another photo you seem to have what appears to be coco fibre(is it) and how is the success rate of it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th April 2010, 10:25

I also have a question... what's that greenhouse of yours made of? Any full greenhouse photos? It looks very interesting!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th April 2010, 12:28

Hello roseman, yes, 2-2-2 tapered so fifty fits in a tray. They come with a very thin plastic seperater so they are a touch off the bottom of the tray what with the crinkles and the roots have somewhere to go. When the seedlings in the basement start hitting the tops of the domes they are pried out and put in the pots and moved to the kitchen next to a window and a warmer condition, because it is frozen outdoors. That is indeed cocoa fiber. I tried it this year for damp off and I like it. All my trays are have a lot of condensation but very little damp off. Cheers Neil

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 4th April 2010, 12:59

Hello Simon, The greenhouse is made of fiberglass. I bought it at a garden show and was sold on it because it was half price and they talked about the diffused light effects. No shadows and the bottom shelves are the same as the top shelves for light. Sunlight in the city is a premium what with the big trees. It seems like if the sun hits any part of it you get reflection everywhere. It seems o.k. so far, the roses like it. The last two weeks the temp. goes from 37deg. to 70deg.F so no in and out of the refrigerator routine. Cheers Neil

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th April 2010, 13:35

How big is it Neil?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th April 2010, 06:27

Neil, the coloured tags identify each different quantity of seeds and variety I assume.
Are they OP seeds or planned crosses.
The close up of the seedlings(sixth last photo) which appears to be about 3-4in tall look healthy, how old would they be.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

better

Post by Guest on 5th April 2010, 10:37

Roseman, Sorry, nothing that complex but a good idea. These are craft sticks from the dollar store, 120 per pack. Do not use the wood ones, they stain bad. All are OP seeds. it's like ok, lets see what you got. Now I know. All six trays are about two and half months since breaking surface. I'll explain another time. There are 14 mothers of various ability. The photo is a little oversize, the one in front is about 51/2 inches, the tallest ones 7 inches, in photos and most about as thick as a round toothpick. All had roots coming out and waiting on the weather to break for their out door adventure. I don' t care, Mr Lincoln is a mother in this case Cheers Neil Better to mark on both sides of the craft sticks.

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 24th April 2010, 00:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th April 2010, 16:27

Neil, 300 planted outside already and are the one's in the pictures to go out in spring.
Are the one's to go out all Mr Lincoln.
Has Camp David or Papa Meiland come into contension in your crosses as yet.
Are HT's your only interest or are there old fashioned one's to come.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

better

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 00:17

roseman, It is spring here zone 6. and the five trays in one shot and the blurry one above are outside now. There is somewhat less than 300 out there now because those with 14 leaves 2" tall where recycled. When you have to use a magnifying glass to see whats going on, that's small. Mr LIncoln is #24 and only about 25 potted up. HT's and two climbers was my only interest but now I understand some are probably not. Actually my only interest to start with in this current endeavor was to grow a rose from seed and the little plants above is what you get after one year in this area. I'm hoping some will get knee high this year.

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 24th April 2010, 00:30; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 06:37

Wrong picture

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 14th April 2010, 11:59; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong picture)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 07:10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 07:22

Gone

Last edited by Neil from Oregon on 14th April 2010, 12:08; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : not necessary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 10:46

roseman. thanks for the tip on the red velvet roses. I do have a red velvet rose in the back yard. It is 91/2ft. going for the sun, looks like the normal growth for single cane is 6ft. very little BS and sets few hips. One seed germinated and is potted up and looks unremarkable at this point. This was another rose earmarked for more attention. Cheers Neil

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th April 2010, 10:54

Hmmm... looks interesting... nice and strong too which is what I'm looking at. We are in the path of the winds known as the 'Roaring 40s' and so I've been looking at stronger alternatives to plastic film greenhouses. There aren't many of those plastic film greenhouses (polytubes I think they are called in the U.S. I've heard them called tunnel houses here) because the wind if so strong. The ones that are here are the super heavy duty ones that cost tens-of-thousands of dollars. Something like this would last a really long time and not blow away in the first gail we got. If at any time you get a closer photo I would love to see it. I reckon one of these plastic water tank companies down here could do something like this quite easily out of the polyurethane compund they use (without the pigment). I can get a 10,000 gallon polyurethane water tank plus a pump for about $2500 down here. Dave... what did your greenhouse end up costing you again?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 6th April 2010, 14:26

Simon, will take more pictures. This is not going to blow away very easy. First thing you do is excavate the footprint 6 inches deep. It has a lip six or eight inches turned inside all around and after in my case six inches of river rock filled in it is solid. The door is designed for such. In other words if the lip is rotohamered to a slab there would be a six inch step over. Or just trench the outline. Cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th April 2010, 06:26

Simon, Carole's poly carbonate cost us $900.00. My greenhouse(double skinned plastic) was cheap as I had most of the frame and other parts. The main cost was the the 2 roles of film. In total it only cost $1100.00. The only Simon would be to go to manufacturers site and compare the size I have.

Neil, any chance of a brand name or supply company that we over here might find on the WWW, regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7th April 2010, 08:26

roseman, http://www.solargemgreenhouses.com/ should do it for you and will send pictures a little later. We had 44mph winds yesterday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7th April 2010, 12:29

Simon, the web page is there so you probably do not need the pictures. I think my computer is crashing, could hardly sign in. Your use of big freezer bags will maybe save the day on two big roses a neighbor wanted gone. I found a xx zip lock that fit over the canes showing in the last picture. When I tried to post a picture a unfamiliar page came up. Also I seen a really neat page on the site that I could not find again. World map locating current users. Cheers Neil

when

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 8th April 2010, 21:36

Hello Neil. Also, hi Simon and David.
You sure are doing a great job of growing your seedlings.
I have just one hand pollinated seedling, Fourtune's Double Yellow x Kathryn Morely ( seed parent ). I lost one that something chomped in half in my shade house. They hadn't been growing very fast in the shade house so I put the surviving one outside but it's little leaves got burnt and I thought it had died. So I pulled it out in frustration, then I thought maybe it is still alive so I replanted it. Thank goodness it has started to re shoot after having some good rain on it.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 9th April 2010, 02:43

Neil, GDay and also a welcome from me.
As I 've seen , you have a lot of seedlings to nurse. Hope you 'puter will work again when they flower. You have a bulk to show Clap

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next