Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

New forum :) Bring on the D.I.Y!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New forum :) Bring on the D.I.Y!

Post by Admin on 22nd March 2010, 23:06

A recent thread on Rose Talk gave me an idea! We do so much D.I.Y building to display our roses as best we can or to allow us to relax and appreciate our in our gardens... why not bring it all together and have a section to talk D.I.Y?

For those into making plans... I also wanted to recommend a free program made by Google called Google Sketch-Up. You can download it form here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].

I'm working on a way we can store sketchup files to share... but for now images can be stored in your servimg account as normal and shared with everyone. Maybe even start a project journal... or ask advice on the project you have in mind. We have a wide range of talented people here and I'm sure we could help one another in many ways Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New forum :) Bring on the D.I.Y!

Post by Ripley on 27th March 2010, 17:33

Fantastic idea Simon. Im just starting with the DIY and have really surprised myself with what I can do with a hammer, electric drill/screwdriver and hand saw. Was having a close look at balinbears structures and thinking to myself "could I?"
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th March 2010, 20:40

'course you can Thumbsup Now all we need is the time to do it all Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 27th March 2010, 22:01

Yeah! Have a go. You will be surprised what you can do with some scrap timber. The rose stand on the other post were made from packing timber.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 2nd June 2010, 20:55

Some more DIY needed at our place. I cut down a poiciana on the weekend and managed to drop part of it onto one of our arches (it was covered by a Rev d Or) and no amount of panel beating will fix it.

The rose is ok but will need a bit of a prune as part of one of the main stems cracked. It needed a good clean up anyway.

I'll probably replace the arch (it was only some reonforcing mesh) with a timber pergola.

We also cut down one that was a lot bigger(nothing grows under them and they drop branches all the time. Also the roots are huge and spread out through the garden) but managed to drop it between two pergolas.

I actually cut down a few trees and will ive us a lot more area in the garden we can utilise.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 2nd June 2010, 21:56

Sounds like you should start are photo journal thread... I;ve always loved Poinciana... What's the wood like on those things? How big are the trunks? I wonder what it would look like milled... Hmmmm

Projects are starting around here atm too... I'm building a couple of screen doors for the house first but then hope to tackle some Gary's tripod designs Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 3rd June 2010, 09:25

I knocked down two of them. One was quite large (abt 800mm dia truck at the base and the other was about 400mm. I have a backhoe coming over thsi weekend to pull the big stump out. The other one I have let rot in the ground.

They are nice trees but totally destroy the garden around them. Not a real lot will grow under them and have plenty of other trees for shade where we want it.

The timber is very soft and I would doubt that it would have much of a use for anything. I took down a small lepard tree whch in comparision was like cutting through steel.

Like everyone else we planted too many trees when we first moved in and now we are taking them out. We have hugh clump of fig trees that we could have cut down with a brush hook when we bought the place. I don't intend to cut these down but I do wish they were somewhere else. We will simply have to work around them.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 9th June 2010, 00:07

I have only just found this D.I.Y thread
I think it is fantastic. I think I know why I wasn't told about it roflmao roflmao
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 4th July 2010, 20:31

I have just spent the weekend (well part of it) building the pergola to replace the arch that was wiped out when I droped the poinciana on it.

Hardest part was building the pergola under the rose. The arch was just a sheet of reinforcing mesh attached to some posts. Managed to do it without hurting the roase too much (I think).
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 5th July 2010, 08:28

Photo of the new stucture

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Balinbear

Back to top Go down