» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

Well... I did it!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Well... I did it!

Post by Admin on 21st March 2010, 21:00

I registered my first rose seedling today. 'Kindred Ice', now forever known as 'Rose Tutu', has just been registered with ICRA-Roses. Now I have to work out what to do next Rolling Eyes. It is still some time away from being released and fully tested but at least now its name is secure and its pressence is officially recognised... is kind of a strange feeling Stunned

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Well... I did it!

Post by Alee on 21st March 2010, 22:10

cheers Welldone! Mexican Wave Clap

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi on 21st March 2010, 22:16

Congratulations Simon!

Wish you every success with Rose Tutu....we'll buy one as soon as it's released!

sunny

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 22nd March 2010, 08:02

Congratulations.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamE on 22nd March 2010, 12:10

Well done Simon. Perhaps on day people like me in America will be the ones having problems getting a rose. Congratulations santa

AdamE

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-06-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd March 2010, 23:05

Congratulations Simon, well done.
Could you please outline the steps necessary to register a rose and what is the cost. I am sure there are a lot of roses out there bred by interested hobby pollinators that don't make it to registration.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 22nd March 2010, 23:24

Thanks for all the kind words Smile

The great thing about registering a rose is it is free!

Here are the steps to follow:

Visit this website: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You need to apply for a breeder code which you can do by clicking on 'Apply for Authorization'. Your breeder code is usually the first three letters of your surname. Mine is VOO. This is also free. My experience with the people running it is that they are very efficient and quick to turn around new authorisations.

Once you get your authorisation you can submit a registration. You sign in first and this tansfers all the personal details about yourself into the new submission automatically so you just have to fill in the details relevant to your rose.

I found a couple of things confusing. Here are the explanations others have given me to help me understand the process.

The denomination name: This is the official registration name. It is usually a name made up of your breeder code as the prefix with some kind of a truncation of the name you want to give your rose following the breeder code prefix. For example I wanted my rose to be called 'Rose Tutu'. The official registration name I chose is 'VOOtutu'. It is meant bear some semblance to a real word. This helps to identify a rose with a breeder and also prevents someone from selling your rose under this official name because they usually don't make a lot of sense and would be hard to market under such a name (which does nothing to protect your rose from being sold under an entirely different name. All registering does is associate a rose with a name and prevent others from using that name).

Synonyms: If you look at the recent approvals section of this website you will see the first two columns list the denomination name (as explained above) and the Exhibition name. If you are filling out the new submissions form there is no reference to an exhibition name. There is, however, three places to fill in synonyms and I have found out this is the exhibition name whcih needs to be linked to the country where this synonym is used. So when I filled this in I wrote 'Rose Tutu' in the first synonym field and Australia as the country in which it will be known as this. Should exhibitors want to exhibit my rose they use the official exhibition name (even though I have no intention of breeding exhibition-style roses).

The rest is pretty self explanatory and straight forward. You just choose the options that describe your rose the closest and then hit submit and it's done.

That's about it. This process has nothing to do with trade marking or the PBR process. Advice I have received from Paul Barden is that if you are wanting to sell your roses through the larger growers they sometimes will not even look at your roses if they are already registered and will want to do this themselves through their marketting dept. and through negotiation with the breeder. This is not what I want so I went and did it myself. Maybe sometime down the track people might seek me out and want to distribute my roses exclusively in which case they will negotiate the purchase of the variety from me based on projected sales or work out some royalty system. This is a long way down the track for me and I don't understand it fully yet myself. This registering process is just an official way of recording a name with a rose with a breeder and record details of the rose for identification purposes down the track.

Hope this helps.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 23rd March 2010, 22:09

Congratulations, Simon, how exciting!

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 26th March 2010, 06:14

Thanks Simon, plenty of good information and detail as usual.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 31st March 2010, 22:04

Well... it seems I haven't done it.. yet! It seems Australian hybridisers cannot register their roses through the above link at all. According to Laurie Newman, who contacted me through the week to let me know of my error, I am meant to go through him to get registration forms because Australia has an agreement with ICRA that we will take care of our own rose registrations and then pass these onto to ICRA. So, to be clear, we do NOT go to the link above to register our roses. We must go to Laurie Newman. I am in the process of talking with him to see if the necessary forms and contact details can be placed on the Australia Rose Breeders Association website. I have the forms here and can host them for people here but will see if Laurie approves of this first. So... looks like my little 'Rose Tutu' isn't registered yet after all!

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st April 2010, 06:35

Simon, were you talking to him by phone/computer. Did he sound ok or did the computer talk come across good, just interrested.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 1st April 2010, 08:00

Keep on it Simon, I have a lot of seed to process this year and might end up with something really good.

Most are those terrible unhealthy HT's that have to be cut and vased to look really fantastic. Have seen some really nice floral arrangements lately so am still growing them. My collection of Australian bred HT's is growing and am hoping to have most of them despite having great difficulty finding the older ones. Any help would be appreciated. We don't want all those PBR Foreigners so think Aussie and breed some good ones ourselves.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st April 2010, 18:54

Hi David,

Laurie we emailing me. He's a very eloquent man whose emails were very helpful. He's got back to me with permission to post the forms here so I will do so once I get a few minutes spare.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 2nd April 2010, 06:54

We are going to Victoria in spring to see Val(orchid40) and others. I might email Jean and see if I can meet up with him and Jean.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 2nd April 2010, 06:58

Thanks Simon. I'm very interested in registering a couple.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 9th April 2010, 23:55

NOW I've done it... see the sticky post in this forum for details on how to do it. All I have to do now is send some photos.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 10th April 2010, 06:07

Well done, Simon. I'm watching with great interest:)

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th May 2010, 19:48

Ok... it's all done and official : [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sort it (sort box on the top left) based on date... ICRA has recognised my registration and published it. It will now get published in the Australian Rose Annual and Modern Roses.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th May 2010, 06:44

Very well done Simon, do you know when the 2 magazines will be out to read.
Apart from George Thompson, are there any other Aussies in there. The other thing, only 3 DA's.
cheers cheers cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 11th May 2010, 06:53

Congratulations Simon!

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 11th May 2010, 11:06

Thanks guys... I would imagine the number of DAs will fall to a dribble, at least for the time being. I have recently learnt that David Austin is battling cancer is is quite unwell.

Yep... plenty of other Aussies on there. Warren Millington and Richard Welsh are Aussies.

Last edited by Simon on 12th May 2010, 10:55; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th May 2010, 06:30

Thanks Simon, I have just gone through the list again. Noticed Laurie Newman has 1 for this year or is it Jean. Is Richard Welsh related to Eric.
Thanks for the heads up on Mr Austin.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th June 2010, 13:23

Don't know if Richard Welsh and Eric Welsh are related... I'll see if it's in my mini book I have here...

Probably Laurie...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 26th June 2010, 22:56

I stumbled across Warren Millington's roses (online) a little while back & look forward to growing as many as I can find...very nice!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum