Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: I caved & rescued a rose...a green one!!!

Post by Admin on 17th February 2010, 23:35

'Wild Rover' has been such a fertile breeder for me this year.. everything has stuck... I'll just duck outside with a note-pad and write down all the hips forming on it... am stocked with this one. All it's prunings this year will be going into pots to make more to make more flowers for next season's pollinating season too... this year my real pollinating winners have been 'Wild Rover', "Temple Bells", 'Comtesse de Labarthe' (everything has stuck on this too... am amazed really got a few hips with it and 'Scabrosa' forming nicely too), and 'Route 66'. Others have been hit and miss but these ones have accepted everything. Don't mean much if I can't get them to germinate though LOL

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17th February 2010, 23:44

Cool! I agree that "Wild Rover" is easy to work with! Mine was stressed & still set hips...

It seems I have had a great success rate with "MHR", "New Dawn", "Palace Cargasone", "Maggie" & "Remember Me". All of these have multiple crossings on them.

Oh & as for getting them to germinate? *shudders* LOL

"

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th February 2010, 23:47

OK... no 'Suntan' on it... must do that...

So far there is:

Hot Choc, Comtesse de Labarthe, Softee, Routee 66, Othello, Honorine de Brabant, Mutabilis, Lorraine Lee, Lavender Jewel, Safrano, Sweet Chariot, Gold Coin, and Ebb Tide hips forming on Wild Rover Cool

Pollen to put on still is "Temple Bells", and 'Suntan'. Should try some 'Golden Chersonese' on it too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 17th February 2010, 23:54

Wow! Your "Wild Rover" has even more crosses on it than my "New Dawn" has (I have pollen from 10 roses on my "New Dawn" LOL).

It'll be interesting to see what comes of both of our "Wild Rover" x "Temple Bells" crosses if you get around to doing it (& I am sure you will!).

I like your "Wild Rover" x "Softee" cross BTW...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th February 2010, 23:59

I've just run out and grabbed flowers of "Temple Bells", 'Suntan', and the last of a strange flush of 'Golden Chersonese' to get them ready for tomorrow actually LOL... reckon these will be my last ones for the season too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th February 2010, 00:04

Awesome...I am glad you are doing the "Temple Bells" cross! Wink

I thought I was done but I have a few more crosses I will squeeze in lke:

"Topsy Turvy" x "Cabana" &
"New Dawn" x "Maggie".

My absolute cut-off is the last day of Feb...but we'll see! LOL
"

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th February 2010, 00:12

Yeah.. if 'Cricket' makes any more flowers I'll put that onto "Temple Bells" too... but I don't want to do any more with what I've got. Got two climbing minis on there way now too; 'Gloria', and 'Laura Ford'. Will be giving them a work out next season too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th February 2010, 00:22

Now that I am doing crosses I look at roses I am interested in getting so differently. It's all about their very obvious (or sometimes hidden) potential as a breeder now instead of just wanting to grow it type deal! LOL

For the first time in 5 years I am going to order some roses this winter.

"Laura Ford" seems like a nice rose. I don't know anything about the other one. I want to get "Edith Holden" again...hmmm...add to list! Hahaha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th February 2010, 00:28

For the first time in 5 years I am going to order some roses this winter.

For the first time in a few years I'm not LOL

'Gloria' is a first gen. descendant of 'Laura Ford'. Wanted to get both to see how they'd go and Cass on HMF raves about it. I'm after 'Edith Holden' too... but not enough to order it LOL

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 18th February 2010, 00:36

Hahaha. TBH I have mixed emotions about buying via mailorder again. I have trust issues PMSL...

One year I ordered about 500 roses...huge mistake! I had pots everywhere & a sore back from digging & then there was no water agggghhhh! I will be sensible from now on. TBH there isn't too much I want now. Just a few striped & single roses & I am done. I like to see what I am buying these days!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lauriek on 12th June 2010, 11:00

Damo, correct me if I'm wrong, but my reading of rose literature says 'Monte Rosa' and there appears to be 3 types, is cream or pink. Not white with bits of green and a tinge of red. Where did you get if from? Cos that's the rose I've been looking for! I actually thought it was Virgo. When you tell a rose breeder that the rose you want is white with bits of green and a fleck of red they look at you as if you're mad! Rolling Eyes

Lauriek

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 12th June 2010, 13:54

Hi lauriek, the 'Monte Rosa' I have is cream with an apricot flush at first then fading to white & green (and then come the pink spots). It was bred by Rosa Eskelund of Denmark.

It is one of those patio forever roses (or something similar) & was from Big W. I saw standards of this rose in Bunnings too but I haven't seen this rose at either place for a few months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum