» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

A seedling of "Immensee".

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A seedling of "Immensee".

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 01:07

A year ago I discovered 10 seedlings growing under "Immensee" & I still have 7 of them potted up together. All are growing strongly & 3 have flowered. "Cutie" (below) is everyone's pick so far; in RL it has a certain something that might not translate to photo but anyway...

Pics of the first 2 "Immensee" seedlings that flowered will follow when found.

*The BS belongs to "Crystal Fairy" LOL

Back to top Go down

Re: A seedling of "Immensee".

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 01:23

"Plain Jane". The first to flower & the first to probably be discarded...but not yet! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 01:58

This is "Boofhead" (so named because of its rampant growth):

I know these seedlings are pretty insignificant but they are some of my first & they have taught me a lot so I wanted them to be seen! flower

Thanks for looking...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th December 2009, 09:24

I love the last one Damo... really love it... not sure about the name... don't think that will catch on Wink Are the flowers always so small? I would buy that one if I saw it for sale and it might be useful in breeding smaller healthy miniature 'shrubs'. By miniature 'shrubs' I mean minis that instead of growing like mini HT with upright growth and bare legs, they branch right from the ground that might be useful for today's ever-shrinking gardens. Actually... I would keep all three of them and plant them in the ground to see where they end up (but then I don't like roses in pots because I have a tendency to kill them this way Rolling Eyes), because 'Immensee' is massive and these seedlings too might end up huge. Pink with a white eye is one of my favourite patterns in roses made even more dramatic in singles.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th December 2009, 09:31

On another note... you know I told you that I've been using 'Flower Carpet Scarlet' and that I was updating my blog last night... well these are the OP Flower Carpet Scarlet seedlings I've kept: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] . The first one is much like your first one (crappy photo though as I got caught up woth work and missed it), the second photo was taken two days ago. I can recommend this rose as a parent too... makes buckets of seeds and I'm wondering whether this might be because it has made the leap from triploid, which most the Flower Carpets seems to be, to tetraploid (or even back to diploid)? These seedlings are going into the ground today.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 27th December 2009, 11:14

Congratulations, Damo. Love your SOH! Keep them if you have the space - they could look spectacular if they are really floriferous. Good luck.
Dave C

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th December 2009, 11:25

SOH?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 27th December 2009, 11:34

Sense Of Humour lol lol

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th December 2009, 13:07

I knew that... Duh

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 27th December 2009, 14:05

Truce...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 14:40

Hi Simon, "Boofhead" (LOL) in 1 year has put out 2 stems & 1 is now 1m long. Glossy leaves & all, the flowers appear in clusters all along its stem & they are the size shown. In many ways "Boofhead" reminds me of "Simon Robinson" which I once had.

"Plain Jane" is a small plant that flowers on the end of its stem & "Cutie" has growth like "Boofhead" but not so much. Another seedling (not yet flowered) has very strong growth as well. BTW I give all my seedlings pet names but atm I only have 19...

I am steadily pulling all of my roses out of the garden to grow them in large pots within a 6' fence. I am over strong hot winds, frost, wildlife & pet damage etc. As I told you in a PM I once had 700 varieties but over the last 5 years I have lost hundreds due to factors mentioned above or a combination of them & then of course there was/is the drought. Grrrrrrrr

I saw your rose seedling pics on your blog earlier this morning Simon...loved the first one! I too like the pink with a white eye combo in roses. My eyes are immediately drawn to "Nearly Wild" everytime I am near it.

Thanks for your comments Simon & Dave...much appreciated! And Dave, is that pic of your garden???

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 27th December 2009, 15:27

Keep an eye on "Boofhead" Damo. Could be a winner! Love the flower and the name - such a refreshing change from "Pretty Jessica" or "Sexy Rexy" LOL Tell it like it is, I reckon...

The pic is my garden - in a good year Damo. I especially posted one of Laevigata to annoy Simon - (who has been pesky on this thread - mid life crisis perhaps?) BTW HB Simon:))

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th December 2009, 15:37

Thanks Dave... Pesky Huh.. hmmmm... gonna take more than cherokee roses dave Wink

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 16:14

LOL Dave I do have a habit of calling things as I see them.

BTW If you have an opening for a very lifelike gnome in your garden please let me know...I might be a bit too tall but I can keep still for a long time. Your entire garden - in a good year - would be awesome I think!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th December 2009, 17:25

Damo, the live statue, is up for hire, do not contact go thru ma as I am going to be his agent roflmao
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 27th December 2009, 19:24

You're hired Damo! A Very Tall Gnome would add the vertical structure i need as a focal point. Can we do a deal without the agent? LOL

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th December 2009, 21:20

Very Happy cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 28th December 2009, 07:16

Hang around a bit Dave, give a bloke a chance, Harry M Miller had to start some where. I will not ask as much in commission, My cut will be in "ROSES" only. Fingers Crossed
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum