by neptune 19th May 2017, 00:00

» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

Crosses this year...

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crosses this year...

Post by Admin on 27th January 2010, 22:11

The pursit would say they wouldn't/shouldn't be called a Tea then... they should be called shrub roses... the non-purist (like me) would say that if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.. then maybe it IS a duck and the classification is of little consequence except for people who want to pontificate about all the Teas in their collection LOL

I would believe the parentage of "Glenn Dale" (nice rose BTW) especially after discovering "Temple Bells" X MEIgurami made "White Meidiland"...it picked up great substance from somewhere! LOL

Don't forget 'Temple Bells' has a lot in the background... going way back to include Noisette blood. Wichurana has only got wichurana behind it. I tried to find pollen on 'White Meidiland' this year and wasn't able to find any... will have to try again. It's not a bad rose really.

The trick with "Temple Bells" is to catch it a full day or even two days before it opens.. not on the day as with other varieties. If you wait until it is just about to open it will have started to dehisce already. Use really fresh pollen because it might have to sit on the stigma for a day or two before it becomes receptive. Multiflora is the same... and multiflora is in the background of TB too.

I'm wanting to use some of the pollen on 'Francis Dubrueil - NOT' too... maybe this is a good option for TB Hmmmm

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 27th January 2010, 22:18

I will do as you say re catching "Temple Bells" at the right time. I had similar issues with "Roseromantic" just the other day! The moment I turned my back they flew open! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 28th January 2010, 22:01

Oh & I do/did forget that "Temple Bells" has a history...its "wild" appearance always throws me! LOL

I bought a tea rose today (and I think about 6 other roses LOL)...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 29th January 2010, 05:30

Welcome to Tea Roses, Damo. Hope you get "hooked" - even tho some of them are thornless LOL

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th January 2010, 14:56

Haha funny you should say that Dave, my new "Marie van Houtte" hooked me very close to my right eye as I was carrying her to the car. I bought her because she has 6 hips on her & (of course) she is just impossible to ignore. love

She is not my first tea but I never took notice or care of the others I had years ago, "Lady Hillingdon" aside; I was oblivious to their charm & thought them all inferior to modern hybrid teas (how silly of me!!!).

Yesterday was a big day of searching for & buying roses I wish to use next year. I got "Hot Cocoa", "Stainless Steel", "Be-Bop", "Route 66", "Ringlet" & "Love Potion", all of which I have had before (apart from "Route 66").

I saw a plant of "Brindabella hmmmm something" (pale pink???) & it looked really healthy but I forgot to go back & get it...might go back next week in the hope it is still there!

Finally, I saw a rose - that I have wanted for ages - in flower for the first time & did not respond to it at all & I always thought I would want it...very surprising! Oh well...frees up some money for another rose! LOL

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 29th January 2010, 20:02

I could have given you material of 'Hot Cocoa' and 'Route 66'. I have quite a few OP hips from it as well that you are welcome to. I've only done a few crosses on it this season (first year plant... flowered pretty well but for some reason I just never got around to using it much). The hips I'm looking forward to most from it are 'Route 66' x 'Tuscany'. I got 'Hot Cocoa' (aka 'Hot Chocolate') to use in breeding as recommended by the guys on RHA. Apparently it does excellent things when matched with dark purples. It's best as a pollen parent and will take a few years to come around to the idea of being a Mum and when she does she's stingy with her seeds. I've used it a bit this season with a few different crosses... have hips from 'Wild Rover' x 'Hot Chocolate' so far.... haven't checked the others properly yet so who knows what I'll get.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th January 2010, 20:50

I would appreciate any OP seeds you have to spare Simon...I could end up with nothing from my crosses yet & if the wallaby has its way I won't have any OP hips in the garden either!

All of the roses I bought yesterday have hips on them (hmm not "Love Potion") but I am going to pot them up in the good stuff so the hips will probably drop. I have one bud on my "Ebb Tide" atm (I disbudded the plant in favor of growth but kept one bud for a cross either way) so I might try "Hot Cocoa" on it. Next season I want to try "Bright Eyes" x "Route 66" (and in reverse) & "Stainless Steel" x "Hot Cocoa". "Be-bop" will be crossed with "Route 66" & "Cabana".

"Route 66" "x "Tuscany" & "Wild Rover" x "Hot Cocoa" are great crosses IMO. Fingers crossed on both counts for you there...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 29th January 2010, 22:50

I don't have a huge amount of OP hips this year as I've been dead-heading them to promote new flowers and so they can pump the resources into the hips I want them make instead (don't know if this really works... makes me feel better though Wink ). Any I get you can have though... I'll be keeping the OP Temple Bells ones to try out and a rose that has surprised me this year is 'Amber Flower Carpet' It made an enormous flush of flowers a few weeks back and has now finished. It is becoming evident that EVERY flower has formed an OP hip! It's really quite amazing. I only did one cross on it because it's in its first year here and so is untested... I didn't want to invest time and pollen in something unknown (still might be a waste of time as it means nothing until the seeds start coming up)... I put something like 'Wild Rover', 'Route 66', 'Rhapsody in Blue', or 'Ebb Tide' onto a single flower an it has taken... so I'm going to dead head with a venegnce tomorrow to try and get another flush of flowers quickly that I can target with more purple pollen Smile

So... yeah... you can have whatever I make really that hasn't been ear-marked for testing (it's a REALLY good idea to test the germinability of OP hips before dedicating time and energy into a variety withplanned crosses... HMF has made our life easier to check pedigrees and descedants... but it still doesn't beat first hand experience as seeds will behave differently in different climates).

I'm gonna PM you Damo with something you might like to use...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 29th January 2010, 23:39

I have been removing extra hips off my roses that are carrying planned crosses too Simon...I think it matters!

I am also leaving all the OP hips on my "Temple Bells". I checked my "Amber Flower Carpet" today & 4 of the 5 crosses with "Papageno" are still OK. There are a few OP hips on it as well but a lot have dropped (once again potting up into good soil promoted growth instead of seed production I believe).

I was looking up "Roller Coaster" last night & noticed it has produced some great roses! Have you ever seen it Simon? Do you know of anyone who has it?

Will check the PM now...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 29th January 2010, 23:46

I've not seen it for sale here... but one that you might find that would be a good substitute is 'Soaring Spirits'. It's already got one descendant ('Purple Splash'), and has 'Roller Coaster' in its pedigree already... I've seen this here and grew it for a while until I killed it by chopping it below the graft (and above the roots Rolling Eyes ) trying to dig it up to move... not happy Jan... haven't got around to getting another because the source of the striping in it is also 'Ferdinand Pichard' just like the other stripes I use here; 'Stars n Stripes' and 'Papageno'. I figure if I want to make another 'Roller Coaster'-type plant I'll stick 'Stars n Stripes' onto 'Temple Bells' and run with that Dunno

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 30th January 2010, 00:01

BTW... let us know how 'Ringlet' goes... I was going to buy it but changed my mind at the last minute because it is probably a triploid and so of limited use in breeding.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30th January 2010, 00:06

I am going to get "Soaring Spirits" & "Fourth of July" this winter & I didn't know about "Purple Splash" (I will have to check it out & see what can be produced). I killed a rose the other day by snapping it off its rootstock with the spade. I was trying to save it from being killed by the wallaby & killed it myself! Oh well...

I have "Smooth Ballerina" & it has "Roller Coaster" in it & it sets hips. I wanted to put its pollen on "Paris 2000" a few weeks back but I couldn't find any???

I have decided to put "Peppermint Twist" on "Temple Bells"; looks like the timing might be just right!

I thought long & hard about buying "Ringlet" but it got the better of me & I just have a feeling that something good could come of it! We will see & I will keep you posted on what I do with it...more thinking required! Agh haha.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 30th January 2010, 00:19

Have you seen 'Purple Splash' here? It's really pretty... though its pollen parent is 'Rhapsody in Blue'... I reckon we could find a healthier 'purple donor' than it to make something similar.. but healthier (maybe 'Starlight Rose' Hmmmm )... this is purple splash here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 30th January 2010, 00:30

OMG that is beautiful! I haven't seen it here but I want to! LOL

I think "Starlight" could work. I have "Intrigue" here (of "Purple Tiger" fame) & it seems pretty healthy! Maybe that could work...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 4th April 2010, 21:58

This is my first attempt at uploading pix so here are three seedlings in bloom out of around 30 germinated..[img][/img]

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 4th April 2010, 22:05

I give up, have about 35 newly aquired roses to bud about 10 of each so don't have time for this. Why can't we have a simple thing like when attaching to an Email.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th April 2010, 23:56

Feel free to call me Bruce (do you still have my number?) and I will walk you through it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: