by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Crosses this year...

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Crosses this year...

Post by Admin on 21st December 2009, 20:25

I pollinate right up till the beginning of Autumn... that way they have three months to mature (they need 120-140 days... some species even less) and it brings me up to a perfect time to harvest hips at the beginning of winter to begin stratifying right over winter. You need to have a contigency plan in place in case you get early germinations. Multiflora-like seeds and the 'Papageno' seeds began germinating for me after only 8 weeks in the fridge this season... so they go put into a small mini greenhouse in a warm place to finish the job (which is why my little polyantha and multiflora seedlings are 3ft tall now... trimmed them down to about 20cm today to encourage branching). On the Teas... seeing as this is he first year I've had them I'm interested to see how they fair during a Tassie winter. Reports from O/S are that in climates where they are evergreen and flower all winter they pollinate all year round and hips still form in the winter... just more slowly and with reduced germinability.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 21st December 2009, 21:02

Thanks for that info Simon. I will do as you do & keep going until early Autumn. I am still chasing a "Coral Meidiland" x "Grimaldi" cross...timing is everything! LOL.

I will be very interested in your findings with regard to the tea roses. It may seem - by my crosses - that I am out for "Boof-headed" hybrid tea type roses but that is far from true. Great new tea roses (if that is your aim) would be awesome IMO & I would happily grow them.

After I find out what methods work for me here I will begin crosses with species roses & I also have an interest in miniatures & single roses of any type. And then there are the stripes...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st December 2009, 22:45

My interests are good shrub roses and miniature shrubs that don't need chemical intervention. Am interested in chemical free glass-house roses too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 22nd December 2009, 05:22

Damo, I concentrate mainly on Tea and DA crosses. This year I pollinated the first flush in September - mainly Duchesse de Brabant x Abraham Darby. The hips are looking fat and healthy. Someone - was it you Simon - said Tea hips take longer to ripen. The Teas I pollinate later in the year (autumn) tend to stay green. But I'm still pollinating every day because it's an addiction Evil or Very Mad

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 22nd December 2009, 20:36

Not me Dave... I don't know anything about Tea roses yet... got my first lot this year.

These are my crosses so far this year (excluding the ones that have obviously failed already);

Papageno x Tuscany, Carmagnole, Amber Flower Carpet, Violette, Ann Endt, Jean Kennelly, Rosa longicuspis, Mutabilis, Nahema, Lorraine Lee (bush form), What looks like Temple Bells

Scabrosa x Rise n Shine, Nozomi, Figurine, Multiflora, Lavender Jewel, New Hampshire, Safrano, Lorraine Lee, Benardella's Pearl, Orange Honey, Ebb Tide, Route 66 Rosa longicuspis, Gertrude Jekyll, Dr Huey, Papageno, Mutabilis, Jean Kennelly, Starina, Cricket, Rosa rubiginosa, Softee, Suntan, White Pararde Rose (mini), Lilli Marlene, Scarlet Flower Carpet, Rhapsody in Blue.

Antique Silk x Twin (going for glasshouse roses with this)

Rhapsody in Blue x Violette

Othello x Tuscany

Routee 66 x Tuscany

Abraham Darby x Tuscany

Eliza x Tuscany

Unknown Yellow Mini x Safrano, Mutabilis

Multiflora x Altissimo

Lorraine Lee x Mutabilis

Mary Rose x Golden Chersonese

Othello x Tuscany

Suntan x Mutabilis

The rose that looks like Temple Bells x Ann Endt, Paul's Scarlet Climber

Ebb Tide x Ann Endt, Temple Bells

Green Ice x Vielchenblau

Laura Ashley x Ann Endt

Figurine x Rosa longicuspis

Orange Honey x Rosa longicuspis

Rosa rugosa 'alba' x Dr Huey

Altissimo x Euphrates

Safrano x Lady Huntingfield (and the other way around)

Ann Endt x Paul's Scarlet Climber, Safrano, Cricket, Mutabilis, Gertrude Jekyll, Starina, Pierre de Ronsard

Comtesse de Labarthe x Comtesse de Labarthe

Francis Dubreuil x Francis Dubreuil

Flower Carpet 'Scarlet' x Route 66, Sweet Chariot, Mutabilis, Rhapsody in Blue, Papageno

Flower Carpet Pink x Papageno, Mutabilis

Wild Rover x Sweet Chariot, Suntan

Got more mini x rugosa planned for this week too...

Dave... have you got Pierre de Ronsard? It's such a strong rose down here... I have been wondering how it would go on either Teas or DAs. I've got pollen now that I'll be putting onto Scabrosa or Ann Endt but think I'll try it on Othello this year too.

Planted out some OP Frau Dagmar Hartopp the other day too from Woolmers.

Last edited by Simon on 25th December 2009, 19:59; edited 5 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd December 2009, 23:09

Hi Dave. I might have to investigate tea roses again. Are they easy to work with? I suppose they are the same as most other roses! I have read a lot about their use in breeding programmes of late. It is bout time a little refinement & grace came back to the rose IMO.

Simon, I like your crosses with "Mutabilis"...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 22nd December 2009, 23:13

I find 'Mutabilis' difficult to work with Damien Dunno It flowers all the time, produces truck loads of pollen, forms OP hips... but I can' get the seeds to germinate and I can't get its pollen to stick... hopefully by trying as many things as I can on easier germinators I can get at least something...I really want to get a plant of 'Rouletii' so I can put 'Mutabilis' on it to try for a miniature version of 'Mutabilis'.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd December 2009, 23:24

Hahaha Simon. I dream of a mini-"Mutabilis" too. It is the only reason I am about to sow 60+ seeds of "Angel "Wings" roses! Not good about "Mutabils" not co-operating though. I bet one of us will beat it into submission.

I dream of a rose that grows like "Maggie" with flowers like "Sally Holmes" but the colour of "Julia's Rose" with tan stripes & maroon stamens like "Dainty Bess" & I'm not dying until I get it! Hahaha...

Anyway, I am off to check my rose seedlings for slugs & do a patrol of the yard for wallabies/ kangaroos. Grrrrrrrrr.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 22nd December 2009, 23:39

Which Maggie do you mean? I'm assuming the 2004 floribunda by Meilland right??? Don't think I've seen this one.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd December 2009, 23:47

Yep! That is the one Simon. It does beautifully here. Often sets OP hips.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 23rd December 2009, 07:42

Well you have been busy Simon!
I don't have Pierre but I have got two of Meilland's Maggie (which Damo talks about on another thread) Does well here too and is a superb cut flower. I've used it for breeding, but none germinated.

From what I saw of the spectacular Pierres in the Tamar Valley, it doesn't perform nearly as well here. A friend has one nearby, and there's lots of them at the Hunter Valley Gardens, where they are sprayed and picked over every five minutes LOL. Looks OK, but as I said, nothing like where you live - AKA Rose Heaven:)

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd December 2009, 11:19

Hi Dave... guess it highlights that there really is no such thing as a 'one size fits all' rose... anywhere!

Have you ever used 'Gertrude Jekyll'? I bought a plant of it because I've always loved the look of it and intend to make mine a large shrub... I've always read that it makes poor growing, weak seedlings, however, I notice George Thomson has used it in making a very Tea-looking variety (with Tea-ancestory through 'Anna Oliver') called 'Deane Ross' and I really like the look of it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 24th December 2009, 17:56

My crosses on "Remember Me" are no longer. Sad

It all looked to be successful until my dear mother walked past the potted plant too closely, got caught by thorns & snapped the stem with the hips off! Grrrrrrrr but accidents happen.

Gone too are the OP hips on "Seduction", "Violet Carson", "City of Leeds" & "Pink Parfait" due to a pesky wallaby that visits my yard on & off.

On a good note, I think "Coral Meidiland" & "Grimaldi"are going to flower at the same time so I can finally do this cross I have been thinking about for ages.

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 25th December 2009, 00:59

Bad luck sbout your rose hips

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 25th December 2009, 19:41

Hi rosemeadow...it is/was very annoying! Hopefully, I will get another chance to repeat the crosses again in a few weeks time.

Todays crosses:

"Topsy Turvy" x "Julia's Rose" (in the name of research! Wink LOL)
"Teddy Bear" x "Wing Ding"

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 31st December 2009, 00:09

Have tried uploading my spreadsheet to Google Spreadsheets... hope this works because it will update as I do more crosses or more cross fail:

2009-2010 Crosses

Last edited by Simon on 31st December 2009, 14:37; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 31st December 2009, 01:31

I like how you have thrown lots at "Scabrosa" Simon. I look forward to seeing what comes from it all! I feel like doing this to "New Dawn" & I might just do that!

Hips are forming nicely on my "New Dawn" with pollen from "Starlight Rose" & "Julia's Rose" ( Mad ). The "Minijet" cross failed completely. In the coming weeks I will try other roses on "New Dawn" such as "In Appreciation", "La Jago" & "Violina".

My "Papageno" is growing beautifully atm & I have big plans for it too next flush. Its 3 seedlings are still doing well & one flowered again yesterday:

The OP seedlings are very healthy so I keep thinking of what could come from crossing "Papageno" with every healthy rose I have! Hahaha...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 31st December 2009, 14:45

I agree Damien... your OP 'Papageno' seedlings look very good (I'm a sucker for semi-doubles) and think some ground coul dbe made using 'Papageno' with some of the species roses to act as a bridge cross... doesn't seem to like diploid pollen so far though Dunno

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 2nd January 2010, 01:05

Gawd I must research the ploids LOL

I noticed a bud forming on another "Papageno" seedling today & I am looking forward to seeing the flower for the very first time (it has been a long wait; buds have formed before but were damaged by insects).

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd January 2010, 21:09

Crosses today:

"Nearly Wild" x R. setigera
"Temple Bells" [?] x R. californica plena
"Coral Meidiland" x "Teddy Bear"

Fingers crossed! LOL

Coming up:

"New Dawn" x "Escapade"
"New Dawn" x "Topsy Turvy"

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 3rd January 2010, 23:12

Damo... I also recommend you put 'New Dawn' onto 'Nearly Wild' or the other way around (or both). Did you know that 'New Dawn' and 'Nearly Wild' both have 'Dr W. Van Fleet' as a parent? NW gets its colour/pattern from 'Leuchtstern'? The shared lineage might make for some successful combinations.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd January 2010, 23:26

Hmmmm I might just do that Simon (NW x ND only I think)...scale "New Dawn" down a bit. I love "Nearly Wild". I have it as a standard (which I am not a big fan of) but it is amazing. I am almost tempted to put some in with your other cuttings???

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 3rd January 2010, 23:29

Before I forget, I have never seen so much pollen from a rose bloom as I saw on R. setigera. It went everywhere. I put 3 blooms upside down in a small plastic container & it covered the bottom in no time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 3rd January 2010, 23:32

I have 'Nearly Wild' already as a small cutting... it's struck and is growing... slowly... will need to target it with some more water over the next few weeks Thumbsup It's a triploid too that is not overly successful as a seed parent according to those that have tried it O/S. It has only one listed descendent (not a great sign). I wonder if 'Leuchtstern' is in Australia? It might be worth going back to it instead.

Edit: does't appear to be available here Dunno

Last edited by Simon on 3rd January 2010, 23:37; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 3rd January 2010, 23:33

Damo wrote:Before I forget, I have never seen so much pollen from a rose bloom as I saw on R. setigera. It went everywhere. I put 3 blooms upside down in a small plastic container & it covered the bottom in no time.

Do that with 'Temple Bells' and you will see the same thing... most species seem to be like that actually.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: