» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

» When should I pot up my cuttings?
by neptune 14th May 2017, 23:14

» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

Seed Parent or Pollen Parent effects size?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Seed Parent or Pollen Parent effects size?

Post by Ozeboy on 16th October 2009, 07:52

Can anyone answer the question re size of offspring.

Does the pollen parent effect size or the seed parent? Or both.

No doubt Mendels Theory can be used long term breeding to change sizes as demonstrated by his experiments with Peas.

Does anyone know or have done this experiment. Could be a useful bit of information.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Seed Parent or Pollen Parent effects size?

Post by Admin on 16th October 2009, 17:52

I've never heard of size being determined by the direction of the cross and can find no reference to it. I have only ever heard of size being affected by the types of roses used in the crosses and what other genes are in the make-up. It would be interesting to set up the same cross done both ways to see whether there is any apparent affect on the mature size. I would use diploid roses only because triploid or tetraploid roses contain three and four copies of every gene and it would be difficult to rule out the effect of unknown genes being hidden somewhere... it will be hard enough to rule this out with diploids. I would also do it with a large number of different types of roses because I know that different groups of roses behave in different ways. For example seedlings from rugosa crosses are more likely to show rugose texture in the leaves when the rugosa parent is the seed parent. There is a fair reduction in expression of rugosity in these crosses but when performed the other way around you often lose it completely. I'm not aware of this occuring with groups such as spinossima, gallica, damasks etc that also have textured leaves to some extent because I have never used them in crosses. I'll pose the question on RHA for you to see if anyone knows. There are far more knowledgeable and experienced people on there than me and if there is any information around they will know of it.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th October 2009, 01:36

Bruce, see here for progress on your question:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 17th October 2009, 08:00

Thanks Simon, those RHA members are very deeply into genetics as applied to roses. Their reply could help you with your minatures.
Actually there are so many questions to be asked and hopefully answered by those that have actually done it. Before anyone starts out breeding roses it would be an advantage to know more about how certain characteristics are passed on to the seedlings. Things like :-
Fragrance, seed or pollen parent passes it on.
Colour " " " " "
Bloom shape and number of petals.
This goes on and on, it's one thing to cross a few roses but knowing more before starting should bring about your dream rose in a shorter time.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 17th October 2009, 08:01

Thanks Simon, those RHA members are very deeply into genetics as applied to roses. Their reply could help you with your minatures.
Actually there are so many questions to be asked and hopefully answered by those that have actually done it. Before anyone starts out breeding roses it would be an advantage to know more about how certain characteristics are passed on to the seedlings. Things like :-
Fragrance, seed or pollen parent passes it on.
Colour " " " " "
Bloom shape and number of petals.
This goes on and on, it's one thing to cross a few roses but knowing more before starting should bring about your dream rose in a shorter time.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th October 2009, 13:02

This is what I love about the RHA forum too Bruce. I've been on there now for 7-8 years and am constantly amazed at the level of knowledge of some of the participants. It is, without a doubt, the premiere rose breeding resource IMO. I haved asked questions such as the ones you have asked above in the past with some very useful answers... such as this one that I keep bookmarked to go back to s I need to:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I asked these exact questions and I still use these replies as the basis of choosing parents. It was a turning point in my understanding actually.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum