by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Many Happy Returns

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Many Happy Returns

Post by wedge on 7th October 2009, 10:30

Good morning all. I have a question regarding my Many Happy Returns ground cover rose. I have 2 of these - one in the garden and another in a pot. They both have blooms as of this morning. As you can see in the attached photo, the tag that came with it when we bought it, shows it to have a much fuller bloom. Is there a reason for this, possibly due to the age of the rose as we only bought it as a bare rooted rose about 2 months ago and it has only been in the garden now for a little over a week ?? Golden Touch -ground cover is also flowering so i have attached a photo of that too. Also, if you have been following the problem with my Angel Face climber in the posts, it continues to survive but is still looking sick...here's hoping !! When i removed it from the garden i found a cane grub down in the roots. I'm sure this little pest is what spelt it's demise. My son works for a rural supply company up here and he has asked one of the chemical companies he deals with if they have a chemical to control this problem that is safe for my roses. They are to let him know in the next day or so i hope. My son Jason tells me that the ground in this area can be lousy with them at times and a lot of sugar cane here is destroyed because of it. My question is this - should i apply a chemical to control the grub and in so doing, probably kill any earthworms in the garden ?? I bought a Yates product last weekend called "Rose Sheild" which is an all-in -one rose insecticide and fungicide. Is the product ok and when do you start a spraying programme ?? Angel Face also fell victim to Blackspot but the others seem fine. Do you wait until you see a problem or do you spray before the problem appears and is it safe to spray these roses even tho they are still very young ??
Thanks for any help.

Many Happy Returns (ground cover)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Golden Touch (ground cover)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
wedge

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Many Happy Returns

Post by Guest on 7th October 2009, 14:34

Yas bin ripped offff Tantrum They look more like Sally Holmes to me, or they forgot to add the grafts roflmao Voodoo

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 7th October 2009, 16:23

Awww...geez, thanks for that Estate !!! LoL. Stunned That's all i need !! I'm not having much luck lately am i !! About a month ago i ordered $1000 worth of steel to start building an awning out the front of my new 3 bay shed i built. I rang the steel company i always deal with, ordered all the steel and paid for it over the phone using my credit card. A week later i rang them to find out when they were going to deliver it, only to be told that i paid for it on a Friday and they went broke and shut up shop on the following Monday. My $1000 went down the drain !!
I must have "idiot" written all over my forehead and they see me coming a mile off i think. Oh well !! Sad
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 7th October 2009, 16:56

You're right i think Estate. I looked up Sally Holmes and my rose looks very similar. I'm an absolutely rank novice at identifying roses but i'd have to say you've raised a question mark. Maybe i could get some more comments and see what other people think ??
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7th October 2009, 17:29

Well I would , I only said Sally coz I have one that our lovely Dee gifted to me love This is my Sally

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi on 7th October 2009, 17:43

What a run of bad luck, Wedge.

Sally Holmes is a lovely rose anyway. Not that that is any consolation.

I have two Many Happy returns that I put in this year, so maybe I can send you some cuttings in autumn if you'd like. Just send me a pm at pruning time, to remind me, and let me know where to send them. I also have angel face, but only the shrub one, not the climber. I'm sure there will be other forumites who will offer climber cuttings.

What a nasty mob those steelmerchants are. they must have known they were going down the shute. Evil or Very Mad

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 7th October 2009, 17:54

I have 2 "Many Happy Returns" and both are flowering at the moment Estate. Both look identical so it leads me to the question...Did the nursery get it wrong twice ?? Hmmmm.... Just a thought !! Stunned And yes Abbi, the steel company must have known they were going broke. They took my money on the Friday and shut the doors the following Monday...one working day !!! My chances of getting 1 cent back in the dollar looks very slim at the moment. I wonder how many roses i could have bought with $1000 ??? Hmmmm
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 7th October 2009, 18:02

Oh Dave, what a rotten thing to have happen to you Crying or Very sad That's life I suppose, but you can have our sympathy for what it's worth.
If you have one of those roses in a pot, what's the chances of taking it back to the nursery if it's still got a label? You could rant and rave at them.
As for spraying, I believe that the motto is "Prevention is better than cure" and start before the problems arise. Good luck.

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 7th October 2009, 18:45

I'd like to do that Orchid but i live in central Qld and the nursery is in SA. I'm not really worried tho...it's still a nice flower and both roses look quite healthy. Abbi, that's a great idea you had about the cuttings. I might try that next year if that's ok ??
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th October 2009, 06:43

Dave, your good with the computer, send email to the grower with picture attached explaining that it is not what you ordered, then see what they say, This would be the starting place for me , as word of mouth travels far. You could have told me about said nursery and I would have purchased from them, now not sure. It might also give them a wake up call on their label and packaging, only my opinion how I would do it. If they offer to replace them it is a bonus but it also alerts them of their dispatch needs tidying up.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 8th October 2009, 08:26

I might try that Roseman and see what happens....nothing ventured, nothing gained !!
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th October 2009, 22:16

WOAH.... hold your horses guys... couple of things to keep in mind here... it worries me that so many hasty decisions/conclusions are being drawn here based on first flowers and other slim evidence...

Firstly... 'Many Happy Returns' is a shrub rose being sold under the banner of a ground cover rose. It is a hybrid bracteata... this means it has the species rose called Rosa bracteata in it not too far back in its pedigree. Rosa bracteata is a single white rose. Also, not too far back in its pedigree is 'Mermaid'... also a hybrid bracteata, of house consuming proportions. It is also a single rose. 'Mermaid' was crossed with 'New Dawn' to make 'Pearl Drift' that was used to make 'Many Happy Returns' and the foliage of your plant clearly shows the 'New Dawn'/wichurana influence. 'Many Happy Returns' is semi-double at best and you might want to consider that it could well be the nursery tag that is misleading. I have 'Many Happy Returns' here and it throws singles and semi doubles at will. It is a variable thing. You also need to understand that petal count can and will vary with climate, season, and age of many roses. You may well find that your two plants will change as they mature. I would not be jumping to any conclusions just yet. Being a hybrid bracteata, Many Happy Returns' is an excellent choice for you up there because Rosa bracteata has its origins in warm temperate climates and has passed on many good disease resistance genes to 'Many Happy Returns'. So... with these two plants give them a season or two in the ground to see how they develop and you might be pleasantly surprised and then realise that you should take plant labels with grain of salt (a squeeze of lemon and a shot of tequila 'Merry') because they are often taken from plants grown under very carefully controlled conditions and show you what they want you to see.

Regarding your 'Angel Face'.... the cane grub is NOT the cause of any problems with this particular specimen. You may well have lots of them and they may well be having an impact but the photos you posted showed a thick wad of fine feeder roots... and the top section looks to be in pretty good condition to me, as Alee mentioned. 'Angel Face' is not what I would call one of the more healthy roses to start with so in many ways one might say this is about the best you can hope to see from it in your climate... remember... careful choice is the key to your success in your area. 'Angel Face' has in its pedigree roses such as 'Peace' that are best in European climates... not humid semi-tropical ones or warm temperate ones as you have. You might just have to resign yourself to the fact that this is as good as it is going to get and will require a lifetime of chemical intervention to keep it looking half-decent.

So guys... let's keep the generalilties as just that huh to ensure the veracity of our advice.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th October 2009, 22:27

It is interesting to note that HMF describes 'Many Happy Returns' as being semi-double with 9-16 petals. (ref: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I count at least 9 petals in your photo. the foliage on yours is also identical to the foliage on mine. The central boss of stamens in your photos is also very indicative of a bracteata lineage.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 9th October 2009, 00:55

One day i hope to be as knowledgeable as Simon. On the richter scale i don't even rate !!! Sad I posed the question as i was curious. The label attached to the rose was staring me in the face and the bloom was only inches away and they just didn't look the same. The way i'm adding it up at the moment, i'm hoping to track down a good nursery in this neck of the woods who can supply roses that are more adapted to my climate. The two Many Happy Returns i bought are still lovely roses and i'm very happy with them and prepared to watch and see what happens over the next couple of seasons. My learning curve is going vertical at the moment and i'm so happy i chose this hobby. In regards to the 2010 season, all i can say is....BRING IT ON !!! study
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley on 9th October 2009, 07:18

so is Many Happy Returns a shrub or a groundcover Simon? I mean does it stay low to the ground and spread or does it grow as a mounding shrub? We got it in at work as a weeper but it sold before it even had leaves.
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 9th October 2009, 08:51

Good morning Ripley. I'm the new kid on the block here and i haven't made your acquaintance yet, so i'd like to extend a warm g'day from Mackay in Qld. If you've viewed all my posts so far, you'll quickly see that i'm a novice and dearly looking for experience when it comes to roses. We bought two "Many Happy Returns" from a nursery down south. The one pictured above in my original post has a very large tag and a photo on the front. When i read the back of the tag just now it says that it will grow to about waist high. The other Many Happy Returns simply has a small yellow tag attached that says it's a ground cover rose. Hope this helps. Cheers....Dave.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 9th October 2009, 16:13

It's more a shrub rose Rip. Growth down to the ground, mounded with a spreading habit. As Dave said.. about waist high. I'm waiting for mine to get a little larger but if it is anything like bracteata or 'Mermaid' it will layer where it hits the ground and might spread a bit.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee on 9th October 2009, 20:45

Wedge, I have heared of a range Queensland bred roses called Brindabella. I believe they are bred specifically for queensland conditions.
Maybe you could find out something about these.
Also Tea roses, not Hybrid Tea are good in hot climates I believe. Maybe it would be worth checking them out too.
Good luck.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th October 2009, 02:12

Thanks Billndee, i certainly will do that. Yes, i've been told the Tea roses are suited to my climate so for that reason i have the book "Tea Roses - Old Roses for Warm Gardens" on order and hopefully it will be here within a week. I have heard mention of Brindabella roses but know nothing of them so it will be a good exercise to do some research over the weekend and see what i can find out on the internet. Anyway mate, it's now 1am and i've just got home from work so i think i might make a cuppa and then head off to bed. Thanks for your suggestions.
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 10th October 2009, 10:52

I have Brindabella Swirl, but that's no help to you Dave, as I'm in Melbourne. It survived our hot Summer but then so did all the others! I've also got L'Amour, which was sold as a Brindabella rose, but no mention of it on the label.

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th October 2009, 11:13

Thanks O40. I went onto the internet and typed in "Brindabella rose" and looked at a nursery near Towoomba which is just west of Brisbane. When i get a chance i'm going to ring them and find out a bit more but i'm not going to jump too quick as i'm still waiting for a copy of "Tea Roses - Old Roses for warm Gardens" to arrive. Once i've studied that and a few other options and visiting a few of you guys down there in a few weeks, i may be able to come up with a choice of roses for my garden. It's now 10am and it's already 27Deg in the shade outside and 75% humidity ...and only going to get worse as the season rolls on. I have to make sure that whatever i choose will be able to cope with these conditions. Decisions, decisions, decisions !!!! Lol. Have a nice day O40. Wave
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 10th October 2009, 11:25

Good luck with all your decisions Dave - I'm sure they will be the right ones! I'll take your 27 Deg thanks but you can keep your humidity! It's 13.5 here and not enough for me!!
Enjoy your day,
Val

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 10th October 2009, 15:11

Dave, I've just looked at the back of the label on L'Amour (derr) and it is a Brindabella rose. Rolling Eyes

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th October 2009, 16:01

Ok, that's interesting Val. I've been doing some reading too but there's not a lot available that i can find as yet. It says they are well suited for Qld. and northern Aust. A lot of them are very blackspot resistant too apparently. I'll try and find out some more and if i can't, i'll ring the nursery concerned near Towoomba. Anyway my dears, i must be away...work calls !!! Headbang My wife is away in Sydney this weekend and i have to do her share for our cleaning business. Oh well !!!
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by wedge on 10th October 2009, 16:14

By the way Val, how does your Brindabella perform ??
wedge

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum