Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

hmmmm.. bit put off now.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

hmmmm.. bit put off now.

Post by Admin on 7th September 2009, 22:58

Just got an email from Ruston's regarding putting in an order for budwood. The min. order is 100 buds at $0.25 each and their min. order per variety is $20 (which is a little strange because that is 80 buds... anyway...). So looks like it's not viable for backyarders like me to order through them after all... Don't know how you did Bruce??? I can't handle 100 of the same thing and I was looking at 20 different miniatures... oh well... So my wishlist is in the Rose Hunter's section now Neutral

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: hmmmm.. bit put off now.

Post by Ozeboy on 8th September 2009, 08:16

Simon I usually end up with some over but always order 100 or more.
Have 120 on order now. The buds arrive and I just pay the bill. Cheaper than buying started plants or better than buying those old pot bound plants that will never be any good.

I have access to a large nursery outside Sydney where the budwood is free.
All I have to do is collect it each October, November.
There are some really good roses there but special breeders like Carefree Beauty, Arctic Flame and others are only available from Rustons.
I treat it as a donation to help preserve all those roses we might need as breeders in the future.

A kind lady sent me budwood last season requesting one plant goes to Rustons for the collection and I can propagate from those I keep.
It's not going to be healthy on the coast or north of the Vic border but at least Rustons will have it preserved for the future.

The girls at Rustons are great and very helpful.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th September 2009, 10:43

What do you do with all the extra budwood? Just throw them out? I have no problem supporting Ruston's, it's a great concept and cause, and will be sending roses there myself... but the $20 min. per order was not told to me in any of my previous emails and so I sent away an order for budwood from 20 varieties of miniature rose and this would end up costing me $400. After spending nearly $1000 on new roses this year this is a cost I can't justify. I was counting on $25 @ 5 buds each to meet their 100 bud minimum order I knew about before. I really want 'Rouletii' because it's a fertile miniature China so will place an order for this variety from them but the others will have to wait.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 8th September 2009, 18:29

Simon I usually bud all the budwood I receive. Once budded and shooting will sell or give some away. However I prefer to keep for a further season when the plants have matured .

I did offer some Gigantea on the forum but so far not a taker so one or two will go to the Sydney garden I help from time to time.

I usually put in 500 rootstocks but this year have been sick from the FLU and stomach problems due to a burst appendix. So won't put that many in this year.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th September 2009, 20:27

Bruce, the rose that the kind lady sent has it got a name [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 8th September 2009, 22:35

Souvenir de Claudius Pernet

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th September 2009, 23:00

Yeah... none of the roses I have offered have moved either... I'll be selling them off too I think.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th September 2009, 00:18

Bruce, I had already bought and planted a Gigantea bare root before you offered them. I should have said this when I read your post. But I reckon I could always go another one if you don't mind sending it, and any others you have grafted that are spare and I don't have. I will give it or them a good home. The Don Juan and Rosa Surperba are going good.

Simon, what roses were you offering ? Other than the Pax you are already sending me. I will see if I can get a rooted bit off my Honorine de Brabant tomorrow. Are you sure you don't want this Gladsome now ?

Bruce, how is you Gladsome going ? And the Albertine ?

A shame about the budwood Simon. Maybe one day, I should go into selling budwood. I don't see why they can't sell you a small amount of budwood of more varieties, can't they be bothered to walk from rose to rose or package up small amounts ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 9th September 2009, 01:03

I had a whole lot of the 'Violette' and 'Phyllis Bide' cuttings you sent me take and I was going to give away or trade the spares. I was hoping someone might like to trade some miniatures or Teas for them. I also have a whole lot of 'Lamarque' cuttings on the way as well as a few 'Fortuniana' on the way. Oh well... There is a 'Violette' and 'Phyllis Bide' going to Abbi... and a 'Phyllis Bide' and 'Red Cascade' going to Dee (was I giving you anything else Dee???? I can't remember scratch ). No matter... any spares I have I'll sell off to help fund the addiction Wink

The Honorine de Brabant would be excellent when you have some time Karen. No rush. Actually.. about the 'Gladsome'... Dee doesn't know it yet.. but when I see her this weekend I'm gonna sneak my secateurs in my back pocket and raid her bush roflmao I bought myself a post hole digger yesterday so I can put pillars around the place and 'Gladsome' was on my list Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th September 2009, 01:27

Simon, I have the best Gladsome ownroot just waiting for a home, it could be sent with the Honorine de Brabant. That would put you a bit infront with growth to the cuttings you would take from Dee's plant. How old is Dee's plant ? Mine has been in its last spot three Springs this Spring comming, so I am looking forward to seeing what it does this year.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 9th September 2009, 08:14

Karen, the Gladsome is going well, didn't take long to freshen up after the travelling. The Albertines are growing fast.

Pleased you have Don Juan going well as it's a very good breeder.
Rosa Superba I picked up from Green E plants as buds, it's never been registered. I sighted it growing all by itself in their horse paddock and looked extremely healthy. I also have seedlings from it as just about every bloom makes a hip.

Will reserve a Gigantea for you and later post the roses I have for next winter to send bare root.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th September 2009, 10:13

Great Bruce, thanks !

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down