Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

New Roses Tally

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Roses Tally

Post by Billndee on 12th August 2009, 21:30

Simon, just how many roses have you ordered this winter? It must be a record for one winter's lot of new roses.
Lets do a tally of the new bare rooted roses we have bought this winter.
My list is very modest, about 6 from memory. Maman Cochet, General Schablikine, Rosette Delizy, Lavender Lassie, Julias Rose, Duchess de Brabant.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Re: New Roses Tally

Post by Admin on 12th August 2009, 22:07

Too many Dee...

But I have decided I'm going to get serious about rose breeding and so I see it as a good investment in a genetic resource... I don't feel so bad about it this year because I have so many ideas about rose breeding that I really want to sink my teeth into and you need to start with the best and/or proven breeders IMHO.

So... the list so far looks like this:

Arrived:
'William Lobb' (moss), 'Ebb Tide' (shrub), 'Hot Chocolate' (floribunda), Rosa gigantea (species), Rosa bracteata (species), 'Laura Ashley' (mini), 'Holy Toledo' (mini), 'Jean Kennelly' (mini), 'New Hampshire' (mini), 'Route 66' (shrub), 'Buff Beauty' (hybrid musk), 'Safrano' (Tea), 'Euphrates' (hybrid persica), 'Alice Amos' (polyantha), 'Summer Evening' (ground cover), 'Golden Emblem' (old HT), 'Many Happy Returns' (hybrid bracteata), 'Grand Nord' (HT freebie from Rankin's for the virused freebie they sent me last year Rolling Eyes), 'Ann Endt' (hybrid rugosa), 'Sweet Chariot' (mini), and possibly some that I've forgotten.

Still to arrive:

'Starina' (mini), 'Lady Huntingfiled' (old HT... though I think it should be a Tea), 'Lorraine Lee' (Tea - bush form... got this on your recommendation Dee... hope it lives up to its rep LOL), 'Pacesetter' (mini), 'Francis Dubrueil' (probably an early HT), 'St Francis Xavier' (Tea), 'Champangner' (florist rose), 'Happy Anniversary' (florist rose), 'New Iceberg' (florist rose), 'First Gold' (florist rose), 'Benardella's Pearl' (florists mini).

New Roses from Cuttings from Rose Talk members:
'Sunny South' (AC), 'Dainty Bess' (HT), 'Phyllis Bide' (polyantha), 'Violette' (rambler), 'Souvenir de MME Leonie Veinnot (climbing Tea), 'Lady Hillingdon (Tea), 'Angela' (early floribunda), 'Montrossa Tea' (Tea- working name), 'Amadis' (portland), 'Madame de la R˘che-Lambert (Moss), and possibly more that I can't remember.

So... a few Hide

Last edited by Simon on 12th August 2009, 22:19; edited 4 times in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th August 2009, 22:08

To be fair.. I did sell off 'Climbing Peace' and 'Red Pierre' roflmao

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi on 12th August 2009, 22:16

Westerland, gold Bunny, Pierre de Ronsard, Friesa, ebb Tide, angel face, europeana, Black Boy, Victoriana, Red Pixie, Many happy Returns, Molineux, Jubilee celebration, Christopher Marlowe, Crocus Rose, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Lillian Austin, Victoria Gold, Ruby Celebration, Parkinsons Passion, Merry maker, Jane McGrath, Afetrnoon Delight.

btw you bought Ebb Tide too, Dee.

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 13th August 2009, 00:05

It turns out we had a bit of money left after getting the electricity on. It was meant to go on finnishing the house, but I reckoned I could use some of it to buy the roses I had been wanting for a long time and in my eyes it was a investment for my future too as well as for my enjoyment.
From Hedgerow I got about 20 ownroot roses. From Thomas Roses I still
have 111 roses they will be sending me. From Treloars I had 48 roses sent and I have planted them. From Mistydowns I have 137 roses and I have planted about a third of them. I also am putting a late order to Ross Rosses and another order to Treloars.
In the past I have had hundreds of roses die because of a bushfire, then a divorce, plus then alot die when I moved them just before a dry period when I moved my garden on my property. I think of this year's spree of buying roses is to make up for where I should have already with my collection of roses. I want them now so I can enjoy them the rest of my life.
I won't be doing a vegetable garden this year or watering pots of cuttings, just caring for my new roses will be my passion this next rose growing season. I will list them with my others one day.

Last edited by rosemeadow on 13th August 2009, 00:14; edited 1 time in total

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Abbi on 13th August 2009, 17:11

Wow!
Now that will be a very special rose collection.

Let the house finishing wait, Rosemeadow, you will have such a magnificent rose garden you'll spend most of your time outside anyway. Very Happy

Abbi

Number of posts : 254
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 13th August 2009, 19:15

Karen, that is some rose orders you got love Lot of holes to dig lol!
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Billndee on 13th August 2009, 20:12

Dee's comments on all this wild wayward shopping:
uh, oh, Simon. You will never forgive me if Lorraine Lee gets mildew.
oops, Abbi. I forgot I bought Ebb Tide.
Wow! Rosemeadow. That is one BIG heap of rose bushes. I hope they all look as fantastic in reality as they are now in your mind, and I hope they all thrive. I am sure you have made the right choice to buy roses before anything else. The other things will happen in their good time and if they don't then maybe they are not a important anyway.

Billndee

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 13th August 2009, 22:20

That's a good point Abbi !
Carol, the ground is pretty good to dig at the moment, I am not chopping any roots down in length like I have done before when needed. I realise the longer the roots the better for surviving. Luckily my soil is deep with no stones and you can get the depth. Hopefully we will get some rain on Sunday to keep it that way. My hands are starting to crack at the end of my fingers etc. from handling the soil. I must remember to put heaps of moisturising cream on them or your hands get really sore where the cracks are.
Yes that is what I thought Dee, we can't do the house all at once anyway but just do it gradually as we can as my partner is doing it. Hopefully it turns out I wasn't too selfish. I do have faith they will do well, despite the Kangaroos, Wallabies or Hares already pruning some of the Hedgerow own roots. Because they are still growing under ground with a little bit above the ground, eventually they will flourish if I keep the moisture always there as best I can. Also I know the roses will look fantastic when they are blooming as well as when they just have leaves ( I love the light shinning off the leaves ), as my present garden has given me that confidence, also seeing other mature gardens of my friends. Although of course rose gardens don't look much good during Winter. Latter I want to add other plants that I like to give other winter colour.
Its going to be very exciting watching them all grow. Its already exciting planting them into their sections and new rose beds. ( I don't do anything to prepare a rose bed, except plant the roses in it. Latter in Spring I will put dry grass clippings around the all roses and beds to conserve moisture.
I am putting in a venetian blind name label with each rose as I plant them.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 14th August 2009, 01:26

Billndee wrote:uh, oh, Simon. You will never forgive me if Lorraine Lee gets mildew

And we are the mildew capital of the world here too... if it's gonna get it, it will get it in spades here Shocked Surely it couldn't be worse than 'Dr Huey'... now that rose looks like it wears a white wooly coat during Autumn Rolling Eyes

My Ross Roses order arrived today as did my Ladybird Roses order... Have a few roses to plant this weekend if I can get a couple of hours to myself Afro

Last edited by Simon on 14th August 2009, 23:59; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 14th August 2009, 19:19

Wow Karen !!! affraid affraid What a lot of roses! I'm so jealous LOL!
Simon you've had fun too sunny and Abbi!
My list seems very short,but I wasn't going to be buying ANY!
Lilac rose, Summer Song, New W Shakespeare, Darcey Bussell, Brass Band, Diana POW, Rose of Narromine, Tropical Sunset, Bordure Nacree, Green Ice, Jude TO, Abraham Darby, Chartreuse de Parme, Maurice Utrillo, France Libre and 2 Roseraie de l'Hay.
Hmmm. I got a bit out of control but could have been worse!

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 14th August 2009, 23:52

I only know one person which has purchased a larger amount of roses ('Camp David') some time ago Laughing

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 16th August 2009, 06:19

Bernhard, any chance of letting us know who that might be Question
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 16th August 2009, 19:38

roseman wrote:Bernhard, any chance of letting us know who that might be Question
I believe, Inspektor Clouseau has stiil the anwer for this case Exclamation

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee on 17th August 2009, 14:34

Karen, that's a lot OMG!!!

Wish I could help you with planting them. Hope your partner is doing well.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 17th August 2009, 23:46

My Treloars order arrived today.. that's all of them here now... received a freebie from them: 'Madame Isaac Pereire' (Bourbon, 1881). Anyone know much about it? I think I'm going to put it up near the front gate where it gets the most wind to avoid mildew that it is reputed to get.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley on 18th August 2009, 06:49

My misty downs order arrived yesterday! I got all the roses i ordered except The Apothecary's Rose. Maybe next year. Im going to have to pot them all as I havent been able to do too much garden prep here because of all the rain.
So my total for the season stands at:
Sarah Van Fleet, Bon Silene,Devoniensis Clg x 2, Chapeau de Nepoleon, Fantin Latour, Belle Amour, Botzaris, R.Mundi, Henri Martin, Striped Moss, Rosette Delizy, Variegata di Bologna, Mary Rose, Graham Thomas, Scentimental, Perle d'Or, Charles de Mills, Quatre Saisons, Blanc Double de Coubert, Mary Magdalene, Redoute, Henri Matisse, Red Intuition, Lamarque, Brother Cadfael, Eglantyne, Summer Song, Blushing Pierre de Ronsard, Golden Celebration, Cardinal de Richelieu, Belle Isis, Madame Hardy....phew

I dont feel so bad well I look at Rosemeadows list tho
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 20th August 2009, 01:31

Thanks Alee !

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down