» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

» When should I pot up my cuttings?
by neptune 14th May 2017, 23:14

» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

First lot of seeds have started germinating...

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First lot of seeds have started germinating...

Post by Admin on 2nd December 2009, 22:22

New one open today... now I have a striped seedling from the OP 'Papageno' seedlings. This is what I was hoping for... now I know it can pass on the stripes ( a lot of striped roses can't) and now I can start using it as a seed parent with all kinds of things...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 3rd December 2009, 19:56

Well done Simon! Papgeno is a nice stripey!
Val

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 3rd December 2009, 22:03

Congratulations Simon cheers Dance
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th December 2009, 06:18

Simon, BJ X BJ seedling, what might you cross this with if you wanted to or could.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th December 2009, 18:18

Wow Dave... this is long list... the real dark colour, like black shot silk, is what I'm after. I'm going to put it with things like 'Ebb Tide', 'William Lobb', 'Route 66', 'Wild Rover', 'Violette', 'Veilchenblau', the rose we sell here as 'Francis Dubreuil', its descendant; 'St Francis Xavier', 'Mons. Tillier', Rosa bracteata, Rosa longicuspis, Rosa multiflora, 'Ann Endt', 'Sweet Chariot'... all the real strong deep purples... hoping to make nice real dark purple minis. With any luck this seedling will retain it's nice form (so far) and have good architecture, pass on the very dark colour, keep the nice leaves, and prove fertile Smile

All of these roses are in my garden now... some are ready to work with while others will take a little longer to mature.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th December 2009, 21:12

I like the list, I do not know all of them, are you after mini's only or a purple toned flower. I would love some of that possible tone across all class of rose. Rugosa mini as you have mentioned would be great. Ebb Tide with it BJ to a mini rugosa, I think would look great
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee on 4th December 2009, 23:50

Simon, is there any reason why you would cross this seedling with that list? why not just BJ with that list?

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 4th December 2009, 23:58

I have only had one flower on 'Ebb Tide' so far this season so haven't used it at all yet... there are a number of buds developing so I'll probably use these when they appear. I put a scan of this seedling's leaf on my blog (here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so you can see what I'm talking about. When I compared the leaf on this seedling with that of BJ I found that I could fit up to three BJ leaflets on each of the seedlings leaflets. Each one measured something like 4.5cm wide x 6cm long. If it remains a mini the larger leaf will make it look so much more full (because BJ doesn't have the best architecture and more foliage might make it look more balanced out) so I would prefer to use this seedling over BJ if it continues to improve as it matures for the better foliage. Regarding the BJ x rugosa seedlings I have... the BJ genes don't seem to be as compatible with rugosa as some of the other minis seem to be. I have about 50-60 seedlings from BJ x 'Scabrosa' and of these only one seems vigorous. 'Gold Coin' (a Mr Moore mini) and 'Magic Carrousel' (another one of Mr Moore's early minis) have produced a lot of really nice looking seedlings so far. There won't be any flowers for a few years because rugosa seedlings usually have a pronounced juvenile phase so I'll have to plant these little ones out and just let them do there thing before making further decisions, but first impressions of these ones are pretty good. I'm keen to get them in the ground to see how healthy they are. Some are even showing nice rugosa-like leaves and I think they will stay mini:

This is my favourite rugosa mini hybrid so far. You can't see it properly but it is branching from low down really early and its leaves are nicely rugose. It's 'Gold Coin' x 'Scabrosa'.

This is from 'Magic Carrousel' x 'Scabrosa'.

Last edited by Simon on 5th December 2009, 12:06; edited 2 times in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 5th December 2009, 00:24

Your certainly are having fun Simon, with all your new rose babies !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 5th December 2009, 00:35

yep Afro

Admin

Back to top Go down

More Stripes...

Post by Admin on 15th December 2009, 00:01

This is my best striped rose from this batch... much more evenly spaced and more subtle I feel:

Another stripey... this one is interesting because in addition to red and white stripes it also has pink stripes. Bit bold and brash for my tastes so far though:

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 15th December 2009, 02:43

Simon, great that your schedule worked. Thumbsup . Do all seedlings of this batch have stripes ?
In my fridge a lot of versicolor nuts are waiting to be sawn, not to pass the stripes, only to have some different gallica blood. It will be also interesting if they pass their appearance Question

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 15th December 2009, 18:24

Great you have been able to breed your own stripes, Simon. The first bloom is very pretty and has a sheen to the petals, it seems. They look pretty big blooms, too.
My two Kathryn Morley x Fourtune's Double Yellow are growing nicely. I surpose they will probably not bloom till next year or so for their first bloom ?

Last edited by rosemeadow on 15th December 2009, 18:39; edited 4 times in total

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 15th December 2009, 18:30

Very nice stripies, Simon. I do like the first one, it is, as you say, more subtle!

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 15th December 2009, 21:53

My very first rose seedling (OP "Papageno" 2008). I found this site while trying to find other seedlings of "Papageno". This pic was taken a few weeks ago & already new buds have appeared. It's 2 sister seedlings have not flowered yet but all 3 are healthy.

I have no idea how these seedlings made it...TBH they had the worst of everything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley on 15th December 2009, 22:27

Thats the thing about roses, they make you feel guilty as hell for neglecting them (half of mine are mostly defoliated from uncontrolled BS and look very pitiful) but they are very forgiving. Give them a little attention and they perk right up cheers
Beautiful stripes/seedlings guys! Simon your seedling creations are so prolific, it seems I could ask you to do a ...hmmm ...Redoubt x Perle d'Or and you would have one flowering tomorrow Razz
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th December 2009, 19:43

This is the second last one to flower (the last one appears to be striped as well). This one only has striping on one side... I find this quite attractive and will probably keep this one in a display bed (not a trial bed):

Alex... on the 'Redoute' x 'Perle d'o'r I woiuld probably go for 'Mary Rose' x 'Perle d'or' instead. Redoute is a sport of 'Mary Rose' and in most cases the changes that occur in a sport are not inheritable... the reason behind this is pretty full-on in terms of plant physiology so I won't go into it here... but there are cases where the sport has made the leap into the inheritable genetic material... it's a matter of trying to see.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 18th December 2009, 21:29

That's another pretty one Simon :=)

orchid40

Back to top Go down

Post by Ripley on 19th December 2009, 08:36

hehe Simon I just picked 2 random roses that I have. Razz That is a beautiful coloured rose. Is it just the picture or do the unstriped petals have less curl to them? It looks like it has a 'top side' that could work nicely in bouquets and such.
Ripley

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 19th December 2009, 09:43

Don't know Alex... I'll have to take more notice (I had a 'boy' look Rolling Eyes). Until recently I never knew (or noticed) that striped roses could even be striped on only one side... always learning Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 19th December 2009, 15:49

Who's Alex
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20th December 2009, 20:00

Simon, your seedling with the stripes on the top surface of the petals only is awesome. Actually, all of your seedlings are great; well done! I noticed (I think) that all of your "Papageno" seedlings have great form whereas my seedling has flowers that are much more simple. I hope to get more like yours in the future...

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 20th December 2009, 20:37

To be REAL honest Damo... I'm probably going to bin most of them because I don't want to breed HT roses... only reason I grew the seeds was to see if 'Papageno' passed on the stripes so I could use it on further crosses with other roses. These ones are nice but... you know... I'll probably keep a few for a display bed or two but other than that they'll need to make room for the various crosses I've made with it so far (am really hoping the unknown gallica I put on 'Papageno' works actually... but have put all kinids of things on it so far this year). This last one has probably got the best architecture of all of them. It's a really strong seedling and it has at least 7 branches coming from the bottom so far. This is going to be one I do keep. I am amazed at the variation in colour and form that I got from 'Papageno'. One could expect anything I think...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 20th December 2009, 20:44

Agh I dread the day I have to part with any seedlings. I had one seedling start to die & pulling it out was torture. Glad to know you will keep the BEST one at least!

ATM I only have 19 seedlings:

3 from "Papageno"
1 from "Remember Me"
3 from "Agnes Bernauer"
7 from "Immensee"
1 from "Cousin Essie"
2 from "Sparrieshoop" (I think)
1 from "Menja"
1 from "Baltimore Belle" (I think)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st January 2010, 01:12

New one out recently... nice strong plant this one too Smile This is one of the purple foliaged seedlings mentioned earlier in another post.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum