» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

» When should I pot up my cuttings?
by neptune 14th May 2017, 23:14

» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

First lot of seeds have started germinating...

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: First lot of seeds have started germinating...

Post by Alee on 31st August 2009, 13:41

Finally I have put the Hybrid Multiflora seeds Simon sent this April, in to the fridge.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 10th September 2009, 23:56

Good stuff Alee... keep and eye on them.. they will only take about 6 weeks to start germinating so you need to be getting things ready to sow them now... it will all be upon you before you know it!

Update on my seedlings... my first planned cross for the season has germinated Mexican Wave

This is a bit of a wide cross but is a step in the process of developing a breeding line involving miniatures and rugosa. This little one is 'Scabrosa' x 'Gold Coin'. The miniature gene is meant to be dominant to standard height so I am really hoping there will be some miniaturised rugose seedlings in this batch. They will all be triploids, however, so I am not expecting great fertility in these... with any luck some of "Gold Coin's" amazing fertily will rub off on them Smile

Last edited by Simon on 12th September 2009, 05:56; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 11th September 2009, 23:23

That sounds interesting Simon. People with small gardens could have hedges of minature Rugosas.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 12th September 2009, 05:58

I'm not expecting this to be an easy thing to achieve Karen... I've been warned that working with Rugosa can lead to many dead-ends. Fingers crossed huh.

So far I have these seeds up:

OP Multiflora (2 different lots....)
OP 'Baby Faraux' (polyantha)
OP 'Papageno' (HT)
OP 'Gold Coin' (mini)
OP 'Black Jade' (mini)
OP 'Mary Rose' (English)
OP 'Henry Martin' (moss)
OP 'Scarlet Flower Carpet' (ground cover)
'Scabrosa' x 'Gold Coin'
OP unknown... either gigantea, OP 'Frau Dagmar Hastrup, OP 'Schneezwerg' or pimpinellifolia seeds that I threw out last season... they are coming up in my pots where I recycled potting mix Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 13th September 2009, 09:52

Mine are in jiffy pots on the window sill and growing better than last year.

I transfer them from their plastic boxes into jiffy pots when the root is about twice as long as the diameter of the seed.
Firstly soak the jiffy pots over night and squeeze to close up the hole at the top then pierce a hole on the peat with a twist tie. place the root in this very small hole and gently squeeze the jiffy pot to make sure the peat has contacted the root all round. Last year I only left the root sitting in the hole thinking the root would find it's way and initial growth was much slower.

My start was when a helpful person gave me the links to Henry Kuska who is a member of the American Rose Hybridisers Assoc.

Thanks to Simon, Bemo and David C nearly everyone on the forum is giving it a try.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1667
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 13th September 2009, 21:51

The more the better too Bruce... I hope that a few more 'out of the square' thinkers take it up as well to mix things up a bit here in Australia. The more seedlings were see on here the more people will start to think twice about all those hips that form all the time and where all these new roses come from in the first place. I know there are people already doing it (like George Thomson, Eric Welsh, and Lilia Weatherly), yet still we are seeing much of the same stuff... George Thomson has released a new tea (in 2004) called 'St Francis Xavier' which I hope will do well down here. So far it's growing nicely. It's out of 'Francis Dubreuil' and 'Papa Gontier' (though FD is probably a HT like 'Oklahoma' or 'Barcelona') and it is a dark purple/red. I think David C's work with Teas and DA roses is a great step in the right direction and if his photos are anything to go by then we can expect to see more great things from that line of thinking.I am interested to hear from Dave how they behave in the garden... do they take after their Tea parent or their DA parent?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 15th September 2009, 12:17

'Scabrosa' x 'Magic Carrousel' is now up as is 'Scabrosa' x 'Black Jade' and my OP 'Anne Endt' seeds Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th November 2009, 12:56

Took a break from the grind-stone this morning to thin out my multiflora seedlings. I culled about 100 down to 10 based on vigour, texture of the leaves, colour of the leaves (I had two come out with pink tomes on the underside of the leaves), and plant habit. These will be future understock sources so vigour is really important to me for this, however, given the parent plant is such a good garden subject in its own right I figured you just never know what else might turn up. This made the process difficult because they probably won't flower until next year (or, heaven forbid, even later), so I had to thin out based on other factors and hope I wasn't throwing away something special flower-wise. It's really hot down here at the moment (about 35 degrees outside in the sun atm) but this afternoon I'll do the other multiflora box as well and take some photos.

One another note... one of my OP papageno seedlings is about to flower for the first time... it looks like it is going to be an unusual novelty colour as the bud looks to be striped but it seems to be striped red and green! This is a photo I took last night... I'm hoping it will be almost out this afternoon so I'll take another later. The seedling is quite vigorous so far at about 30cm tall. Not as vigorous as some of the other OP 'Papageno' seedlings, but not bad. Some of the other 'Papageno' seedlings are pushing 40-50cm tall already and also about to flower for the first time. This rose has proven to be such a great seed parent this year.... I only picked about 8 op hips from it last year and have had about 90% germination success and the seedlings have been very vigorous and it seems to pass on the stripes. So, I am hoping to use it as a seed parent this year with lots of other things such as DA's, Teas (Safrano has produced LOADS of pollen this year already), miniatures, and even species... I'm hoping to try and produce some tastefully striped good shrub roses and am hoping this will be a good starting place.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th November 2009, 22:54

Sad no photo... it didn't open... and I got too busy to thin out the rest of the seedlings Sad

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 18th November 2009, 20:37

Got two first flowers today.. not the one above... it's still tightly closed Rolling Eyes

OP Papageno... I can't say enough about this rose as a parent. Its seedlings as so strong. Mated up with a tea or bracteata I reckon this rose could do really good things. I had excellent germination (about 90% as previously mentioned) and it made heaps of OP hips and seeds. I don't have any Tea flowers open at the moment but am REALLY wanting to put Mons. Tillier on it. I had about 100 seedlings germinate, and of those I've thinned it down to about 10 based on early flowering only at the moment.

I've never had a seedling develop such a nice full first flower. The number of petals generally increases until it is mature so this one will be very double. There is, unfortunately, not a hint of scent (like it's parent).

This is my first mini seedling to flower. It's 'Gold Coin' x 'Gold Coin'. I'm liking it so far.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 19th November 2009, 02:32

Simon, I like the upper one very much, it's a very interesting red tinge, really a beautyfull one Thumbsup. Please keep us up to date with it's progress.

I only have about 100 achenes in the fridge now, have to look about some OP's Innocent

bye..

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 19th November 2009, 07:50

Great looking roses, Simon. This is the best part of raising seedlings:)

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st November 2009, 23:51

Others about to open fully.

The green striped one... the striping appears to only be on the outside guard petals. the rest is red on the inside with a white reverse:

This one is a light orangey pink with yellow tinged reverse. The flowers are smaller than the others and the plant not as strong:

This one is also going to be red with a white reverse. The thinner bud suggests fewer petals to me:

And I have a few that look to be solid red. They are still tightly in bud and seem to be taking forever to open:

Am a bit confused by these given they are OP seedlings from a striped parent... I was expecting at least one striped seedling Dunno

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd November 2009, 21:35

The top one (see above) is almost fully open. It's the same bud as the green stripped one I posted earlier. This is probably my best seedling so far this year. The flower is huge, for a first flower, and so far seems to have excellent form. The flower opens very slowly and is very double already. I think it will make a good cut flower. Seedlngs usually get more double as the plant matures so I'm thinking this one is going to be jam packed full of red and white petals. No scent unfortunately Sad Cool Papageno is going to be an excellent seed parent this year Cool

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 23rd November 2009, 21:43

These two are showing some promise too:

I love how this one reflexed back on itself like a star. It is the third one from the top in the above post.

This is the one shown above, second from the top today:

All of these are from teh same batch of seeds (from 'Papageno').

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 24th November 2009, 05:44

Well done, Simon. I love the silvery reverse on the big double one. How accurate is the red colour here?

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 24th November 2009, 06:39

Simon, looking at your 3 pics I would have taken the pink one on first viewing, as it would be the one that would sell as cut flower because of early shape. 1 stem of it and some baby's breath would easily fetch $5 to $10 in clubs and pubs. As a finished flower it might not get repeat sales, Simon from bud to fully blown how long. What was time frame for the others just by the way. Well done with them We're not worthy
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 24th November 2009, 21:07

Thanks Dave, the red is a little on the bright side. It was dark when I got home and I rushed the photo with the built-in flash... so its a little blown out. It's a darker red with a hint of pink through it.

David, if you are talking about the light pink/yellow blend flower... its a small bloom and I'll actually probably bin this one. It went from bud to fully blown in just a day or two.. but you can't tell much from the first flower because there are fewer petals than the mature plant will have. The big white reverse red one opened really slowly. The above flower is the same bud as the green striped one that I posted earlier so it's taken over a week to go form that bud to just full today. It also has teice as many, or more, petals though. The one that is very reflexed also opened quickly. I'm hoping the red wtih white reverse will be a better garden shrub. and with any luck it will have decent form (but being an HT I wouldn't bet on this or on very good health). The big one looks just beautiful today (at its peak)... such a pity it has no perfume Sad

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 28th November 2009, 12:52

Here's another seedling about to flower:

This is 'Black Jade' x 'Black Jade'. Vigorous seedling that I think will be a full sized rose... not a mini as 'Black Jade' is. This is the only seed from this batch that germinated.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 29th November 2009, 15:15

You have some nice babies, Simon ! How did the last one open ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 29th November 2009, 17:34

It hasn't yet Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 1st December 2009, 22:11

Here it is today:

Has much nicer leaves than 'Black Jade' so far...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 2nd December 2009, 04:57

Simon, thats a great rose baby too Thumbsup, fantastic colour love

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 2nd December 2009, 06:11

Black Jade in there somewhere Simon ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 2nd December 2009, 08:03

Yep... this one is 'Black Jade' x 'Black Jade' Thumbsup It has much better leaves than BJ though.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum