by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Fragrant Rose

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Fragrant Rose

Post by rosemeadow on 26th July 2009, 00:17

Thanks for finding all that about Sharifa Asma for me, Simon. I really am very grateful for your help. Thank goodness for rose forums so I can speak
with knowledgeable people.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 26th July 2009, 09:15

Rosemeadow
Am I to asume that I am not allowed to get the Sharifa Asma from you.
The above comments look like to me that certain rose plants are like copywritten and they cannot be sold.
Is that what you all mean
heartofhush

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th July 2009, 10:26

The official line of the forum is it is illegal to propagate with the view to sell roses, or any other plant, protected by a PBR on here or anywhere.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th July 2009, 12:30

From Karen: Can I send you some more cuttings ?

Um... not at the moment thanks Karen I don't think (unless you have some 'Cornelia' or 'Lady Huntingfield' , or a few more 'FDY' (the ones you sent me were looking good and then just suddenly went black... not sure what I did wrong there) cuttings to spare... Smile )

Did the cuttings of 'Vivid' strike? I'm not 100% sure they have taken yet but I think I have one struck cutting and one successful grafted 'Vivid' you are welcome to if you would like it. I wasn't going to check until mid spring though but you are welcome to them both if you would like them.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 26th July 2009, 15:04

No my Vivid cutting didn't end up making it. The Lavigata did, which has been planted out, and the Red Cascade. How tall does your Red Cascade grow ? I would absolutely adore your Vivid cutting, and the grafted one, but maybe that is too generous of you.
Yes, I have plenty of Corneila cuttings for you, and Fourtune's Double Yellow. Maybe FDY will strike better in Winter. I will send them tomorrow.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 26th July 2009, 20:17

Rosemeadow
Can you let me know how or where i contact you as to which plants i would from you please.
Thank you
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 26th July 2009, 20:52

Simon, I dont know why you said that as all i was asking is this.
Are rose plants copywritten sort of.
I did not ask about propagating the plants to sell.
I want rose plants for my own personal use in MY garden in honour of my late mother and not for any other purpose.
If you take a look in the swap section i have even offered to GIVE away the one only rose plant i have which i have no idea what it is at the moment.
But hopefully i can learn.

Rosemeadow, If I am still allowed to get the rose plants from you, please let me know, otherwise i will keep looking and thank you.
I am sorry
Take care
Lu

Post by heartofhush Today at 9:15 am
Rosemeadow
Am I to asume that I am not allowed to get the Sharifa Asma from you.
The above comments look like to me that certain rose plants are like copywritten and they cannot be sold.
Is that what you all mean

Post by Simon Today at 10:26 am
The official line of the forum is it is illegal to propagate with the view to sell roses, or any other plant, protected by a PBR on here or anywhere.
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th July 2009, 21:35

Lu... Sorry if you misunderstood me. I'll try and explain it little better. It is the forum's policy that no plants protected by a PBR may be sold here unless you are the holder of the PBR or you are licensed to propagate it. That means you cannot purchase 'Sharifa Asma' from Karen on this forum because it is protected by a PBR and so Karen is not able to propagate it with a view to sell this variety on Rose Talk. A PBR is like copyright protection for plants and selling a plant protected by a PBR could land someone in very serious trouble as well as the forum. You most certainly can purchase other plants off Karen, and I would encourage you to do so because they wonderful quality plants. Whilst I respect your wishes of why you want to purchase roses, your intentions are not the issue. It doesn't matter whether you want to buy them for yourself or to propagate them further as Karen is not able to sell it to you on the forum. That's all I was saying. If you were to determine the identity of the rose you are giving away you too would be fully entitled to sell some plants of it if it is not also covered by a PBR. Chances are it is an old rose whose PBR has expired and you would be ok.

Hope this is a little clearer.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 26th July 2009, 22:52

This is all a very good learning experience to learn more about patents. I think else where you can't even give a rose away that has a patent on it, or thats how it might be in the future.
So how would I go if I sold some Heritage roses to Lu and then gave her the Sharifa Asma for free but sent them in the same parcel. I am just wondering if you could do that ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 26th July 2009, 23:15

technically - yep

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 27th July 2009, 03:58

Thanks Simon !

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 27th July 2009, 11:40

Simon I have no idea what rose climber i have as yet, all i can say is it is like a burgundy/maroon colour, it grows like a climber,but from researching I have seen there are roses that weep so it could be one like that.
The rose was here when i moved here and i am learning about roses,maybe i need to move it for more sun, i dont really know.
Simon I understand copyrights only too well as i have to apply copyrights to the websites i make and also as a music publisher of cover songs.Royalties have to be paid.

You just used a different word that hasn't come up with me, that's all.

But now that you have used words that i do know and understand well, i get it.
Do I also understand that these copyrighted roses cannot be purchased from a licensed seller to give to someone for a present, like mothers day for example, and if so how do the owners who created the particular rose sell it or even make money from it if they wanted too.

But anyways i do understand and i will be buying the ones i can from rosemeadow.

I am not even going to ask about this>>>Chances are it is an old rose whose PBR has expired and you would be ok.
But it sounds like to me if the rose has past the copyright stage like with music etc.
Thank you for using words that i know.

Thank you for patience.

Take care
Lu

heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th July 2009, 19:10

heartofhush wrote:Do I also understand that these copyrighted roses cannot be purchased from a licensed seller to give to someone for a present, like mothers day for example, and if so how do the owners who created the particular rose sell it or even make money from it if they wanted too.

Licensed growers can grow and sell them and people can give them away as gifts perfectly legally. The thing I have not clarification of is if I grow a rose that I no longer want, that was bought from a licensed grower, can I sell it on again in much the same way as I would a car I no longer needed/wanted?

But anyways i do understand and i will be buying the ones i can from rosemeadow.

I am not even going to ask about this>>>Chances are it is an old rose whose PBR has expired and you would be ok.
But it sounds like to me if the rose has past the copyright stage like with music etc.

Yes, that's pretty much true. Once the 'patent' expires anyone can grow it and sell it legally and one can not generally extend or renew a patent.

Hope this also helps Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 27th July 2009, 23:45

Lu, your climbing rose might be Veichenblau or Violette. These are Ramblers, both purplish, and thornless or nearly thornless. They only bloom once. Look at them on helpmefindroses, click on the photo tab.
Have you got a digital camera to take a photo of it in Spring/Summer so you can post it on here for us to look at ? Does it only bloom once ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 28th July 2009, 10:46

Hi Rosemeadow
Yes it does only flower the once from memory.
I looked up what you mentioned and i couldnt find anything in the search for Veichenblau.
I will take some images when it is flowering and maybe i can find out exactly what I have here.
Thank you
Lu
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 29th July 2009, 00:53

I am sorry Lu, I spelt it wrong for you. It is actually spelt VEILCHENBLAU and there is over 70 photos there for you to look at.
I need to buy some spagneum during this week so I can send your roses in it next Monday, if you would like me to send them then. The spagneum and maybe a little sand helps keep the roots moist and protected.
So pick which roses you want and let me know by Sunday night. PM your address too.
I will put a few photos of my baby roses showing their roots here soon.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by heartofhush on 7th August 2009, 12:53

Hi Rosemeadow
I have emailed you.
When you have some time can you let me know please.
thank you
Lu
heartofhush

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 8th August 2009, 17:49

Heartoflush, be careful selecting white roses in your area, the borer beetles are attracted to most white roses.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 5th March 2012, 20:47

hi ive noticed u have this rose( Sharifa Asma)

willing to sell ??

thanks

jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th March 2012, 05:50

Jordan, there about 6 to 8 nurseries selling this rose. If you "google" it most will come up. There are a couple in Vic.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 6th March 2012, 19:45

roseman wrote:Jordan, there about 6 to 8 nurseries selling this rose. If you "google" it most will come up. There are a couple in Vic.

thanks
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 8th March 2012, 06:06

thanks i think i will order it through my local nursery ,mind you they sell roses so expensive not sure why .. maybe they buy em not so cheap
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th March 2012, 06:19

Handeling costs and mark ups, they have to make money as well. They would not be getting much of a discount I think as there purchasing power is not great. If the rose or not on their list which they would have already placed you still might have to go to grower.
David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 8th March 2012, 06:39

roseman wrote:Handeling costs and mark ups, they have to make money as well. They would not be getting much of a discount I think as there purchasing power is not great. If the rose or not on their list which they would have already placed you still might have to go to grower.
David.

well to be honest. last rose that i bought from my local nursery set me back $30 bucks and that was papa meilland

jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th March 2012, 06:46

Was that in a pot or bare rooted, if potted they had to care for it, so up go the costs.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum