» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Pollen from Florist roses...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pollen from Florist roses...

Post by Admin on 6th June 2009, 22:02

All the guff about poor vigour in hybrid teas aside... About 10 years ago I started a horticulture degree at Wagga and whilst at the residential we visited a rose farm in Wagga and had a good look around... it was pretty impressive and I love the idea of growing roses for other people to enjoy. They grew their roses quite cleanly but used some pretty heavy artillery to ensure they could do so. When the greenhouses were finished they hooked a gas injection device to the back of their tractor (it was a BIG greenhouse) and injected brimine gas into the soil to sterilise it. From that point on they relied mostly on biosecurity measures to control disease. Blackspot isn't normally a problem with greenhouse roses but mildew can run riot so they had a still air room that people had to walk through to get into the greenhouse and you walked through a bleach dip and changed into their own boots (that lived most of the time in the still air section - on leaving the greenhouse you changed back into your own shoes and left the boots there). The greenhouse was heated with hot water pumped through and was climate controlled so that light levels and temp. stayed approx. constant all year round so they could pick flowers all year. It was pretty amazing really. One thing they mentioned was how stitched up the rose scene was and how much of the supply was produced under contract by the BIG producers and little producers couldn't get a look in...

Anyway...

I was in a florist shop the other day talking to them about their roses... they said they bought their roses from local producers because it meant that they didn't have to pay extra for fumigating the roses and shipping them across the strait... and that they wished they had more local growers to supply them with roses... and that most Tassie florists would buy flowers locally in preference to mainland stock. This got me to thinking... it might be a good little sideline to help offset the rose obsession. So I bought a few rose stems to remove the buds and grafted them onto multiflora stents... if they grow great if they don't no big deal (cos she also said that some growers treat them so that they can't be propagated)...also ordered a couple of greenhouse roses online and I have a few here that I was going to shovel prune but will now transfer into a greenhouse etc. When I was finished I emasculated the flowers and cut all the anthers off to see if I could collect any pollen and if successful will freeze this for use in crosses with my other greenhouse roses so I can produce something that is my own and supply local florists with my own branded roses as well as some of the more well known ones. I'm actually really looking forward to this challenege and will begin construction of the greenhouse in the next couple of weeks. Here's hoping I can do it cleanly too Smile

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Pollen from Florist roses...

Post by Carole on 6th June 2009, 22:09

Simon did you buy a greenhouse like I did - sort of flat pack - David and Zach are going to put it together for me tomorrow. Or are you going to get all the bits separately and build one ?
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th June 2009, 22:15

Have you got a photo of your greenhouse Carole? I haven't decided yet... I think I could probably build my own to start with and replace it with something professionally built when I'm more financial.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 6th June 2009, 22:45

Simon, If you go to abay and instead of going to cats use that long clear bit. Put in greenhouses 180365328897 and press search you will get the very same greenhouse from the same company as I got. But I will go to the next size when I have got this one to pay for itself. This firm has great service I paid Friday pm delivered Tuesday early am. Look at the whole list though you will get that just using Greenhouses. Hope this helps I worked it out that it was a lot cheaper than getting all the components and trying to work evrything out ourselves. It does have 4 windows and a gutter and down thing for a water but which it doesn't seem to show but if you scroll down it pretty much shows you everything.
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th June 2009, 23:06

I wonder how many roses, growing in the ground, you could fit into one of these (the 4.3 x 2.4 x 2.5m version). I have 9 varieties of greenhouse rose and intend to propagate each one so I have about 10 of each to start with... so I need to be able to fit about 100 roses in to begin with. I need to try and find my cut rose production book and read more about spacing... hmm - I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking... this is going to be a mammoth task I just know Rolling Eyes

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 6th June 2009, 23:22

Evidently you looked at ebay Simon, I just wish that I had gone for the 14' x 10' one now instead of the 12' x 8' that I got but there is always next time. I know that in the ground when they bud roses then let them grow to selling size they are only 4" apart. So you could grow a hell of a lot of roses in that area. David will let you know the spacings for the cut flower roses which were the only ones grown in the Igloo (Plastic tunnel house)Hope that I have been of help.Carole
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 6th June 2009, 23:34

Thanks Carole... I've also asked for a price for these greenhouses: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... I'm looking at either the 6m or the 8m one. Have a feeling they will be pretty $$$ though.

Last edited by Simon on 7th June 2009, 21:39; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 6th June 2009, 23:58

That's huge Simon I would like to know the price BUT I would think it would be well and truly out of our price range. All I can say is WOW at that size.
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 7th June 2009, 20:39

Simon, I have a big hot house that I had filled with three rows of cut roses, 118 roses and they grew really well but they were coverd in mildrew and sooty mold. There was noway I was going to spray with chemicals, the organic stuff didn't work.They are all outside now and have been since last winter, so I am looking forward to what they can produce in blooms this Spring and Summer to come.
When I had only one row of roses the leaves and blooms were healthy and perfect, and I did sell some blooms to a small local florist that was very happy with my roses saying that had fragrance compared to the ones she bought. That lady had to shut her shop as she didn't have enough bussiness with another older florist in our small town.
I reckon I might try just putting the one row of roses in my hot house again now that there has been a break of a year of having roses in it. Simon, do you reckon the mold spores would be gone now ?

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 7th June 2009, 20:55

No Karen... I reckon mildew is omnipresent either as powdery mildew, or worse still, downy mildew. The black sooty mould was probably caused by aphids that excrete honeydew, a sticky sugar-like residue, which coats the stems and then goes mouldy.

Can I ask how big your hothouse was?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 7th June 2009, 22:38

Huge, will measure it tomorrow to be sure. A friend who was interested growing cut roses down the track built it and I was to experiment growing the roses in it.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 7th June 2009, 22:41

The black sooty mold was prabably the worst offender, you walked down the rows and got it over yourself. So how would yo go at getting rid of it out of the hot house and keeping it out without using harmful chemicals ?

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 7th June 2009, 22:58

not enough air flow, open the sides in the day and close them at night, this will help.
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 27th October 2009, 05:43

There are some very near perfect long stem roses appearing at the markets. They are so good they look artificial but when touched they are the real thing. Not even a blemish and they are so uniform.

Our local growers seem to be half Hydroponic and half growing in raised beds. It's a very unhealthy business requiring constant spraying for fungus and pestercides to keep blooms perfect.

Have noticed a growing demand for David Austin types. Possibly look alikes bred for longer stems which is also encouraged by darkened sided houses with plenty of higher lighting.

We have lost a few growers to cancer, couldn't get me into this business.
Local growers are complaining there is a lot of competition from overseas but their roses only last a very short time and there is a return to Aussie roses for longer vase life.

The big operators seem to have the florist trade tied up so the little grower can't get a foot in. There still seems to be oportunity selling two red roses with Baby's Breath wrapped in clear sellophane. But you have to have some very agile youths selling them at the traffic lights Friday nights. Prices were $5 each and called " On a Promise Roses, can't find this rose on Help Me Find.

Hope you can make it work Simon.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th October 2009, 06:36

Bruce, I think it means if you take it home to the wife/girlfriend you might be able to canoodle in the bedroom, That is the way it reads to me, regards David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th October 2009, 06:54

Bruce I found this in Google, I know it is not red, but it is nice, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 27th October 2009, 21:55

I'm not interested in doing it, Bruce, if I have to use chemicals to make them perfect... I have this crazy idea though... I have 'Safrano' in my garden that has just started to flower for the first time, and reading the Tea book, it says 'Safrano' was once a very popular cut rose... so this got me thinking... maybe better cut roses could be developed by introducing Teas like 'Safrano' into them so the need for chemicals is greatly reduced or, even better, totally eliminated. The Tea blood would love the warm conditions in the greenhouse, and with any luck the health would pass on as well. They flower all year in warm conditions which would mean no down-time during winter in Tas... I have no idea whether it would work or not... but have started to think about how one might test it out to find out.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum