Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Welcome Betty

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welcome Betty

Post by Carole on 11th May 2009, 13:06

Hi Betty, it is great to have a new member cheers . I do hope you enjoy the forum Very Happy . What sort of roses are your favourites ? You will see every kind here bounce .I do look forward to hearing from you. Carole
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome Betty

Post by Betty on 11th May 2009, 13:30

Thanks for the nice welcome, Carole. Thee gave me this link last night and seeing I'm fast becoming a rose addict(see it/want it/must have it!) I thought I'd trot along for a look. I like all roses, best to leave it at that. Smile

Betty
Betty

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2009-05-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 11th May 2009, 13:32

You will find this site really helpful Betty Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 11th May 2009, 14:19

I'm sure I will. There is so much I don't know about roses. I'd best get offline and go plant the Delphiniums now, regardless that I'd like to study this forum more.
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 12th May 2009, 22:43

Hi Betty and welcome ! Are those Pacific Delphiniums ? I would like to be able to grow them one day.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 13th May 2009, 00:06

No, these were Blue Butterfly Delphiniums seedlings, however I planted seeds of Pacific and yet another one, whose name escapes me, in a tray and 1 month and 2 days later - hooray - I can see just one has germinated. I have to pray the others will too now. I'm addicted to growing all sorts of tomatoes and other vegies from seed, but because of lack of water I swapped to flower seeds and am loving that, but the latest thing I want to conquer is growing roses from cuttings. Seems to me these things are so basic and I get more of a kick out of my successes than just buying plants. Growing roses from seed would be great too. Wouldn't have a clue how to do it though.
Thanks for the welcome.
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 14th May 2009, 00:38

Hi Betty, its nice to get to know you.
Have you seen the photos of my shade house and own roots grown from cuttings on the propagating forumn here ? I started trying to grow roses from their cuttings 7 years ago. Directly infront of my house I have two beds of roses and also a bed along the side of the house that were all grown from cuttings by me, except for the weepers. Also there are many roses through the rest of my garden that I grew from cuttings. It is very, very rewarding, and disappointing too as you get alot that die. But the ones that live really make up for that !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 14th May 2009, 02:23

a warm welcome from the 'Lüneburger Heide', far away from you.

regards Bemo

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 14th May 2009, 10:13

Bemo wrote:a warm welcome from the 'Lüneburger Heide', far away from you.

regards Bemo

Thank you for the welcome, Bemo. I see you are from the home country of some of my ancestors. Very Happy

Rosemeadow, I just went and read all the posts in that thread you mentioned. I've learnt a lot already, this is a great forum! I have been at my hubby a lot about needing a shade house, even suggesting I pull the roof off a dog yard and convert it, it should be so simple to do, but he won't agree. Crying or Very sad Should put my foot down seeing he reckons they are okay to store hay, straw or tools in. I suppose really they are too far from the house though, so I'll have to think of something else.
What I learnt here from my first lot of cuttings was that putting them into a trench in the ground, or into even a prepared garden bed, is a total waste of time. No shade - they died. I rescued what I could, potted them in top quality potting mix and put them under the shade of a callistemon and managed to grow about 30. Second lot of cuttings have just been started, sent through the mail, dipped in hormone powder, into pots again and, for lack of anywhere else to put them, they are lined up along the east side of the house. I had a row of tomatoes in pots there, held up in a florida weave, and as they haven't been removed, they provided a bit of dappled shade for the cuttings. Some have died, not many(YET), and those that have were either weak little cuttings or from roses I'm told are not robust anyway. I have dug a long bed around one half of our orchard(the place fruit trees go to die because of the drought) and that will take 50 or so roses, and if we get rain I'll start to dig around the other half. I am very envious of your shade house. I could easily fill that with my flower and vegie seedlings, and the rose cuttings . Never mind, I showed hubby the photo's and let's hope that inspires him. I know the conditions are far from ideal for the cuttings but at least what survives should be pretty tough.
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 14th May 2009, 22:15

Hi Betty,

Nice to see you here.

The subject of cuttings has been pretty active on here and people have tried lots of different things. For example I'm having success at the moment with willow tea. It's quite amazing really and I'm looking forward to doing some more fair trials next spring when things are growing again to 'publish' on here for everyonew to see. The combination of willow tea AND rooting hormone powder seems to be pretty effective so far too.

Looking forward also to hearing about the progress of your new rose bed too.

Cheers,

Simon

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 14th May 2009, 23:09

Hi Simon. You certainly know your roses, I am in awe of your expertise. What made you think of using willow tea?
I hope there will be progress with those rose beds and that we don't get another killer Summer to wipe out my hard won own root roses. I had Duet going beautifully last Summer for instance, covered with flowers, then it just up and died. I'll just have to get used to disappointments perhaps.

Betty
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 14th May 2009, 23:29

Hi Betty,

It certainly wasn't my idea to use willow tea. It's an old idea that has somewhat of a cult following online... lots of references to it and how to make it. I don't want to get too excited about it myself just yet because I've only used it a few times... need to organise a proper test to see how it compares with other methods.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 15th May 2009, 07:02

Betty, could you give me/us an insight to the Wimmera region(climate conditions) if that is ok. Did duet die to the summer heat or that it's roots were not deep enough to survive had there been moisture.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 15th May 2009, 08:31

Roseman, it's pretty dry here. An average rainfall of just 17 inches, which we haven't had for the past `12 years of global warming/drought. It was temperate but I suppose now it's verging on semi arid. However, roses do well here, maybe they like the red clay soil? I'd been able to water because our dam still had water in it back tin Summer.Still, no moisture in the sub soil at all, and Black Saturday it was 47C here. I lost fruit trees, 19 tomato plants and lots of other things. Duet is why I've already put own root roses out into the ground, hoping they will get some decent roots before next Summer and enough rain this Winter and Spring to moisten the sub soil.
Simon, I really meant I stand in awe of your knowledge on genetics and roses . I look forward though to hearing how your trials go with the willow tea.
Folks, have to talk to you all another day, shopping day today. (sigh, a necessary evil, isn't it?)
Cheers
Betty
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by orchid40 on 18th May 2009, 15:06

Hi Betty!! Welcome to Rose Talk Smile
Val

orchid40

Number of posts : 622
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://orchid40-valsobsession-orchid40.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty on 18th May 2009, 15:41

Hi Val, and thanks. I was so pleased when Cheryl gave me the link to this forum. I love looking at beautiful roses. I get down because I don't own them but early days of my addiction yet I suppose. I do wish the bare rooted roses would come in locally, it's so hard to hear that everyone else is able to buy them already.
Hugs
Betty
Betty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: