» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Feeding routines

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Feeding routines

Post by Malnewby on 6th October 2017, 18:53

As you know I'm a newby Rose grower. This is my second year and apart from huge aphid problem at beginning of spring so far so good. I fed my roses Sudden Impact at beginning of August and am currently using a concoction of Eco oil, Eco rose and Eco seaweed fortnightly. Should I feed as well? I had heard not to do another dose of Sudden Impact until January but wonder if the roses will need another feed before then. Suggestions please. Tell me about your routines so I can stay in front of the black spot scourge and keep roses looking beautiful

Malnewby

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Back to top Go down

Re: Feeding routines

Post by neptune on 6th October 2017, 20:22

Black spot is not a fertilizer problem , but more to do with the length of time moisture is on the leaves...... this is why we try to water the roses at daybreak , so the sun dries it of the leaves........

Sudden Impact per sae is really a soil conditioner as oppose to a true synthetic fertilizer you buy in bags in granule form with NPK ratios which you can choose from. S/I is made from chook manure and hence you can use it every 4-6 weeks without burning the roses. The other factor that comes into consideration is what type of soil do you have and what is the PH level of the soil........ also if you want to go one step further, you can get a soil test done in a lab which will give you all the answers about your soil and then you can fertilize as per your lab report........
neptune

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Malnewby on 6th October 2017, 20:53

Thanks so much Neptune. have checked Ph and it is around 6.5 which I'm told is good for Roses. I hadn't thought about getting tested. But will look into it. So from what I'm reading it should be good to go another dose of S/I now? Do you suggest granulated slow release? Someone I know does Thrive fortnightly along with slow real ease then on off fortnight does Seasol. I did know that moisture is an issue with Black Spot so have been careful to make sure I water in the morning etc.

Last edited by Malnewby on 6th October 2017, 21:47; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

Malnewby

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 6th October 2017, 22:11

Seasol is not a fertilizer but a soil conditioner, but if you mix it with Powerfeed it becomes a fertilizer........ I personally don't feed with slow release granules as roses are ferocious feeders and need food all the time for growth and pushing out the blooms..... find a granulated fertilizer that is low in Nitrogen(N) and high in P and K for feeding the roots and stems. Thrive is ok as well.... and yes for S/I
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by carmel on 8th October 2017, 10:18

Interesting thread. Smile Not sure when to feed mine. (and what to feed them) They are bare rooted and planted at the end of August.

carmel

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2017-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 8th October 2017, 11:27

carmel wrote:Interesting thread.  Smile  Not sure when to feed mine.  (and what to feed them)  They are bare rooted and planted at the end of August.    

at this stage just put seasol to the soil...... then when the plant has lots of new growth showing, a combination of seasol and powerfeed will help
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th October 2017, 15:56

John, as you know I hate slow release formulas and granular food, what can I use in liquid form with all the nutritional value.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 8th October 2017, 16:26

The best gear will cost you a bomb and is deadly accurate as to what nutritional value you want to put into your soil....

Seasol mix with Powerfeed (same company) combine as one..... then add to the mix liquid Sudden Impact (new Product).... with this I would add liquid PK 13:14 (from Bun).... also depending on your PH of soil to bring it down to 5.5-6.0 Sulphur from Manutec (Bun) can be made into liquid form (turn soil 2 weeks after application
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Malnewby on 8th October 2017, 17:07

Oh ok so Ph should be 5.5-6.0? Thanks for the tip on Powerfeed. Should this mix be fortnightly?

Malnewby

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 8th October 2017, 17:18

you can as there is no salt products in this mix....
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Malnewby on 8th October 2017, 17:30

Wonderful thanks so much

Malnewby

Back to top Go down