Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Brand New :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Brand New :)

Post by TaraLou on 2nd February 2017, 21:50

Hi everyone,
I've just joined so I thought I'd introduce myself.
I collect a lot of roses because I love them....if you ask my partner it's an obsession, I just call it my hobby Smile

I collect different roses essentially because they are pretty and/or have a meaningful (to me) name, however I do have a particular interest in roses from the Victorian era, as I have a view to establishing a historically accurate Rose garden at my property in Victoria (the house was built in 1892). There is plenty of room, with a five acre house plot, and a ten acre paddock, plus lots of sheds and outbuildings crying out for some climbers to cover them. Also there is great access to plenty of water. I would also like to collect as many Australian bred roses as I can. Of course all of these ideas are for the long term, I try not to get too carried away!! Smile

At the moment, I am living in Sydney (we are a defence family), so my plants are here with me mainly in pots. I am a complete know-nothing! I've googled what I do know as to the rest, it's a matter of fake it till I make it Smile Hoping to learn to how to propagate properly, otherwise with a property so big I will be bankrupt having to pay retail for so many roses hahaha. Any and all advice is appreciated. Looking forward to chatting with everyone and learning as much as I can from you all. I'm sure I'll be of use as to show people what NOT to do Wink

Take care
Kind regards,

Tara
TaraLou

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2017-02-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Brand New :)

Post by neptune on 2nd February 2017, 23:06

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

To the Rose Forum, Tara.......enjoy your stay and ask as many questions as you like....
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th February 2017, 06:29

Hi Tara, welcome from as well, David(roseman). things are a bit quiet around here at present, but if you choose to ask the questions will be answered and answered well.

P.S. Which Corps are you in at Holsworhty just out of interest ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TaraLou on 4th February 2017, 08:04

Thanks Neptune and David Smile

I do have a lot of questions, so I will try to keep focussed...I have a tendency to get carried away haha

David, my partner is the defence member, 21 years a soldier. He is a former combat engineer who transferred into ordinance recently as it is kinder on his body for his career longevity Smile

I have noticed in my travels there are a lot of roadside stalls selling roses around Sydney. A lot of times these plants seems to look much healthier and happier than those in some of the big name chain stores and garden departments, but are often unmarked/named.

So my questions are:

What does every one think of buying roses in this way? Are their disease/pest considerations I should worry about? Also, is there are way to get the plants identified if they are unmarked?
Also, what about plant breeders rights/patents? Where do we check this kind of thing? Is there a reliable database around or ins it a last 20 years thing?

I am having trouble restraining myself at these kind of stalls haha, but I would hate for my other plants to get sick. Thanks in advance for helping me out, and apologies for the fact of questions at once.
TaraLou

Back to top Go down

Post by TaraLou on 4th February 2017, 08:06

*raft of questions....and apologies for mistakes, typing on my iPhone ugh
TaraLou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th February 2017, 11:53

To answer your questions in order Tara,
To buy off the side of road is fine, if there is no name, WHY, is because the seller does not know or is not up on the name of the rose they are selling, possibley they purchased it elsewhere, if there is a tag I would buy them, ask the seller all the question about the said rose, name, climate which it will grow in, budded or cutting grown. How long it has been in the pot. Is the plant being sold under "patent", if so it "should" have a label so the breeder can get back his breeding costs. This will give you a start, things to ponder.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th February 2017, 12:11

As for "interllectual property" as it is now called, I touched on it in the previous comment.
According to the people that should know IP Australia(Canberra) and the Licencing Manager @ David Austin Roses, the answer comes something like this
1. Unless there is a report sent to them about your sales of hundreds of roses they will not procced, they then would contact David Austin to see if he wants to take any action, it is a rather costly exercise, Proof would have to be established, but the breeders do frown on it because they do not get the royalties from the propagating.
2. If you purchase a rose with a label on it, then take cutiing for your "personal use", then decide to give the "original" plant away you should place the tag on it. Basicly it is illegal to do so, but it is done, so when you get to the stage of propagating we will transverse that track.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by TaraLou on 5th February 2017, 08:44

Thanks David!

There is a few road side stalls I've come across which are unattended (honesty box type situations) so I've not been able to ask any questions at all (another reason I've shyed away).
Can you suggest a good resource which would help me learn how to identify kinds of roses? I'm getting a little overwhelmed with the "eleventy" different groupings/classifications etc? Thanks in advance.
TaraLou

Back to top Go down

Post by TaraLou on 5th February 2017, 09:09

On PBR/IP,
Interesting that breeders rights would now be classified as intellectual property...I suppose that it relates to the "intellectual" knowledge of particular parentage/botanical make ups of the different plants the breeders release.

I have wondered how any of these kinds of claims would be enforced given that no one owns the original genetic material of any of these roses, and the potential cultivars used in breeding are innumerable/practically untraceable....so the "intellectual" definition of the "property" makes sense.

I have seen that IP on particular bred roses usually lasts for 20 years...does that extend to genetic materials from those roses being used in breeding?? It would seem not if the IP is restricted to the knowledge in the breeding of the plant.

I understand that it would be very hard/expensive proving and then enforcing these rights in any case which begs the question why bother? I guess mainly for naming rights? These seem to be able to be changed on a marketers ehim anyway...

I could envisage some of the big breeders/growers maybe taking umbrage with one another should one be making a huge success out of the others work. It would be an interesting exercise in ego/publicity at the least. Has anything like that happened before to your knowledge, just out of (jaded final year
law student) interest....
TaraLou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th February 2017, 13:37

Great thoughts/questions, can I get back back to, my cat has taken over my computer chair
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th February 2017, 06:40

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and General History
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://rosebreeders.org/Chart%20-%20Major%20Descendancies%20of%20Modern%20Roses.pdf

A small bit of reading Lara
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th February 2017, 06:43

Here is one more, when you look at it on the top line there is a section listed "classes" go to it makes good reading,
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 7th February 2017, 06:46

Lara IP/PBR is "relatively new so when it came into use that is from when the breeders started "owning" stuff not the material proir to it.

More info later , off to work.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th February 2017, 12:30

IP/PBR does last for 20 years, but can be updated.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 8th February 2017, 17:38

Anything I haven't aswered Tara. ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by TaraLou on 8th February 2017, 17:41

Wow!! Thanks so much!

I'm in the midst of boxes and paper everywhere after our belongings finally arrived from Townsville after a month in temporary accommodation.
I will have a proper read Tonight Smile
TaraLou

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 9th February 2017, 05:58

Thumbsup
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down