» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Hi from WA

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi from WA

Post by lucia on 27th September 2016, 11:38

Hi All,
I am so happy to have found this forum, the post's are so interesting.  I am a complete roseaholic and love to see others roses and  gardens. I am from just north of Perth WA, (100 kms ).  My husband and I live on a farm and have a garden of about 1 hectare.  I have a couple of hundred roses in varying health, some of the soil is very good, rich red and well draining , about half of the garden is silty, quite acidic and with some salt in the ground, v difficult to find roses that put up with this. There is limited water from a dam, just depends if we get enough run off in the winter, this winter has been the best in 35 years here, after years of the dam not filling, and very low rain when I lost about 150 roses. During this time I did a lot of stonework , at least it wasn't going to die Smile    I love the older roses and in particular Edwardian gardens and using different colour borders so the whole garden is designed in this way as much as possible but follows our seasons to make use of the rain,  it started years ago with a very English style planting but this was not going to work long term so I now make use of spring and early summer bulbs, hardy mediterranean plants and mainly older roses, the hybrid teas though beautiful do not fare as well.  Sorry I am not terribly good with computers  so any advice welcome if I post in the wrong spot ect
lucia

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2016-09-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi from WA

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 28th September 2016, 06:48

Hi Lucia, sounds like you have a mixed bag of or had a mixed bag of roses. The growing conditions can sometimes tell us what will and what won't grow. The other thing some people go to the extreme and make paradise out of a desert, each to their own.
My collection is what I call a mishmash, A bit of everything, I stared with HT's , now have singles, "old world" and anything in between plus a bed dedicated to David Austins as my wife loves them as do I. There aren't many roses I do not like, if any I might say striped. I hope you can post some photos after the normal week for the system to settle in. Can you tell me the name of the rose you are using in  avatar photo please.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 28th September 2016, 08:15

Could it be a peony roselettes child?????
neptune

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 28th September 2016, 08:26

I am afraid I was guilty of that, trying to make an english garden out of a dessert,  well the garden soon sorted that idea out.   Yes I love all roses as well and probably almost prefer single roses there is something about them, that is so beautiful.   I have had some problems getting the David Austins to grow as well as the older families,  which is annoying when they are so good.  The picture is of Harrison's Yellow, which is definatly my favorite yellow, I have it in front of a purple smoke bush which shows the colour well. I would love to grow peonies unfortunately they turn there nose up here
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th September 2016, 12:20

Hello Lucia, I wouldn't be concerned about the David Austin's being difficult to grow, remember they are English roses. To further demonstrate my point just compare the peaches and cream complexion of the English lasses compared to our Surfer Girls at Bondi. I must commend David Austin for his ability to promote his roses by having a name every person will remember. Compare those names to some of the old French roses. By using these old roses as his breeding stock to begin with I see he hasn't achieved a great deal regarding health and vigour specially when grown in places like Western Australia.
You would do well to jump on Help me Find Roses and look for roses bred from 'Prairie Princess' and 'Baby Love'.
The Carefree roses such as Carefree Beauty and Carefree Wonder should do well.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 28th September 2016, 12:32

Good ona old fella, only you could compare those two things.
I do hope your health is good.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 28th September 2016, 13:00

Haha good comparison, and thanks for the suggestions, I will look at Help me find Roses as well. I did plant five DA's last year and have had to dig up four to save them, I agree they have lost some of the toughness of the roses they were bred from, but I am going to get their roots growing well and then try the very best soil I have and closer to a tap, ( feeling determined ) I planted 45 pre 1930 and species roses from Victoria last year in early October and all but 2 , which died , have thrived. Another dozen old and species from SA didnt grow quite as well, possibly the rootstock wanted a different soil and the climate just too harsh for a couple, but I have rescued most of those and will replant soon, another 20 planted from WA going well, and the sorry 20 bagged roses, made me decide to look past these in the future unless I am feeling like a martyr.
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 28th September 2016, 13:49

Hi Lucia, I'm past feeling determined, helping exhibition and hot house cut bloom type roses which are sold by most nurseries. I really don't know why they persist selling roses requiring continual spraying and artificial environments to keep them alive. You have to make a decision, "Do I want garden roses or the above mentioned.
I don't think you will find a lot of the roses I mentioned above in WA. You might pick up 'Carefree Wonder'

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 28th September 2016, 14:36

You are right, re the spraying and pampering ,once it gets hot and dry over here the most they will get is water once a week. Yes WA is harder, there is not the choices in the old roses that there used to be and most nurseries in the east wont send to WA with quarantine being difficult and expensive
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th September 2016, 06:51

Lucia, may a say what a lovely name.

Where you are located do you have any problems with nematodes ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 29th September 2016, 08:32

Thank you its my grandmothers name ( real name Tracey I am not keen on at all lol )
We are north of Bindoon WA , no nematodes are not a problem luckily.
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 29th September 2016, 13:07

I'm down Mandurah way........have you tried taking away the soil that has salt in it and replacing it with the good soil you mentioned (and yes.....can be a big job) and also, have you thought about setting up a grey water system to water your gardens?
neptune

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 29th September 2016, 14:44

Mandurah is lovely, still gets v hot though maybe not as many frosts ?
No there isnt any point really in removing the soil, as the salty ground water rises each winter ( depending on the season ) it just re soaks it, so I have built up the beds about 18 inches with better soil, and forget the roses in that bed, lucky theres plenty of other space to put them. The grey wateer would be good idea but our bore water that goes through the house is too salty as well, so best plan is to use the fresh dam water, and in the years it doesnt fill, makes sure I have planted rose varieties that will survive and that have got their roots well down. Last year the bare root roses didnt arrive until end of first week in October , so it was a miracle and three deep waters a week that got them through Smile
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 30th September 2016, 06:13

A couple of questions if I may Lucia, the roses you bought, which nurseries did they come from and which one of those had the better plants. I ask this because the rootstock of the plant is going to have a lot of influence on how they grow in your conditions.

Neptune(John) can't talk roses, he only grows "exhibition" types, he does not grow "proper" roses like the rest of us. Only joking, he hasa very good understanding of the WA soils and conditions.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 30th September 2016, 09:51

Lol .
I wasnt sure if I should put a name to the nurseries or not , and I agree over the years I have found the different rootstocks make a difference.  The fortuniana doesnt grow any better than the others for me , I realize it was used for Perths sandy soils though.  Dr Huey is ok on the very best neutral soil about 7, but doesnt like our more acid spots, where as the Multiflora rootstock roses grow well pretty much everywhere.  The rose that grows by far the best and in the worst conditions, half shade under a gum tree, ph 5 , bit salty, is the old rootstock Manetti, its fabulous grows up to 15 ft into an apricot tree and flowers from Sept to late November.
The roses that arrived in the best shape , I was astounded by there health size and vigor were the 45 roses from Mistydowns, they were not sending to WA anymore after last year so I begged for a last order , some of these roses are almost  a metre high now, I have never had roses grow as well considering they were planted so late ( for me re getting hot and dry ) there is a really interesting collection .  The Ross roses were not as strong plants some were very small, to be fair they may have had a harder growing season in SA , I should have put them into pots got them growing strongly before planting them, as I ended by digging at least half up and putting them into pots getting them going again before planting them out again in more alkaline soil, we will see how they go now, I did lose three of the twenty,  they were all roses I couldnt source from WA.  Hmm trying to add pics but finding it difficult
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 30th September 2016, 12:13

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]" />
  Trying a photo of some of the roses
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 30th September 2016, 19:11

Hello again Lucia, I have a friend in WA who has a few roses on Multiflora who gets very good results from these.
About 20 years back I became very interested in grafting Eucalyptus and purchased 3 WA trees that had great blossoms. One was called, Rose of the west (Eucalyptus) and none of them did well here suffering from insects and failed to thrive. However I have never seen or heard from a reliable source that Multiflora wouldn't do well in WA.
I have grafted Fortuniana understocks here and results were average. Multiflora was superior in all regards my only regret is I have several plants of Fortuniana nearly out of control on a large poultry shed.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st October 2016, 06:24

Have you thought of doing some grafting Lucia ?, as you have 'Manetti'(was used as an understock for years on red rose varieties to improve the colour in cut flower varieties)  and it is doing well, just a thought.
As Bruce(Ozeboy) mentioned "multiflora" understock/rootstock might be worth looking at.
As for naming nurseries, we name them with discrection if there is a problem, other wise there is no worries with doing so. In the past some or all of us have had good and bad experiences from the same nursery.
Have you tried "other" nurseries and if so which ?
As for posting photos here is a link/tutorial that might help.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The roses in the photo above look healthy, can I guess the white rose is 'Iceberg'
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 1st October 2016, 09:04

Thanks v much for replies and for that link re photos ,  yes its iceburg that bed is pretty much all my HT's and floribundas's, I have never tried grafting , I will have to have a go, and yes my rootstock choice would be Manetti.  There are not many choices for roses from the Eastern states due to quarantine and some stock mainly the more modern roses, over in WA, I can say Melvilles, Roworths, and the Swiss rose nursery roses have all grown well here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]  
Manetti
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 1st October 2016, 10:32

Have a look at Reliable Roses plus others,

The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 1st October 2016, 14:57

Wow thanks for that , what a great list of roses, I am really looking forward to next seasons planting now Smile
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 2nd October 2016, 22:40

Lucia, I have heard that 'Iceberg' can be used as an understock though have never tried it myself. During the last world war Meilland used all sorts of roses as understocks were difficult to aquire. I think the wild climbers would be compatible and develop plenty of roots.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 3rd October 2016, 08:16

Morning Lucia, here is something to think about, it really works.

The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by lucia on 3rd October 2016, 11:53

Great, what a good article, and interesting re Meilland, I can see a great hobby coming up Smile
lucia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 3rd October 2016, 16:14

It does become an addiction, the more you delve into it, You maybe joining "Rosaholics Annyomous", it is a large family, most share, some hide, they are not nice.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum