Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38


Hi Rose lovers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 17th October 2015, 12:45

Hello to all out there. I'm new to the forum. I have a few rose plants in my garden. Some are doing well, some are duds. Have joined the forum to learn more about rose gardening. Happy gardening to all!

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 17th October 2015, 13:03

Welcome Neil, we all started out as novices, but we learn something from all the members in one way or other, whether it be roses or life.  Just ask a question and I am sure someone will have the answer or find it for you.
Regards David.

P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.
avatar
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Age : 64
Location : Mudgee, NSW, Australia
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 17th October 2015, 13:13

Thanks The Lazy Rosarian, you make me feel at home. I have a problem. Not one but two. My rose buds are getting chewed up by earwigs ( have a lot roamig about in the night) and also recently my roses are swarmed with thrips. I am spraying the garlic/chilly powder/soap/oil solution with little effect. Sad to see my roses getting damaged after all my hard work in the garden. Any suggestions?

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by neptune on 17th October 2015, 19:03

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to the Forum, Neil.....

for the earwigs, try a softly wrapped up damp  newspaper and place it at the base of the rose bush at night time...... In the morning , pick it up and tap it out in a bucket. Boiling water should fix the crawlies.....let me know if this works.....
avatar
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Location : Western Australia
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by LouiseJB on 17th October 2015, 22:21

Hello Neil and welcome!
I have learnt a lot since joining. I stick to the belief you can always learn something from anyone.

LouiseJB

Number of posts : 116
Location : Kilcoy, Queensland
Registration date : 2012-06-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by Barbara B on 18th October 2015, 08:06

Hi Neil and welcome to the forum. I'm down near Frankston. Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Location : Somerville, Victoria, Australia
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 18th October 2015, 13:46

neptune wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] to the Forum, Neil.....

for the earwigs, try a softly wrapped up damp  newspaper and place it at the base of the rose bush at night time...... In the morning , pick it up and tap it out in a bucket. Boiling water should fix the crawlies.....let me know if this works.....

Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 18th October 2015, 13:48

LouiseJB wrote:Hello Neil and welcome!
I have learnt a lot since joining. I stick to the belief you can always learn something from anyone.

Thanks LouiseJB.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 18th October 2015, 13:49

Barbara B wrote:Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I'm down near Frankston.  Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Thanks Barbara B

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 18th October 2015, 14:18

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:
Barbara B wrote:Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I'm down near Frankston.  Loads of rose information and expertise available for the asking on this forum.

Thanks Barbara B

I have a few pictures of my rose plants but I do not know how to post them. Could you please guide me? Thanks.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by neptune on 18th October 2015, 14:28

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?


The soap water won't affect the plants if you don't use too much and too often, but will help with water penetration........

as for the photos upload....you will be able to do that after seven days membership and if you use the search function on top right there is a whole article on uploading photos.....if you still trouble, don't hesitate to ask.....
avatar
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Location : Western Australia
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 19th October 2015, 13:21

neptune wrote:
NEILMRITCHIE wrote:Thanks Neptune, it does work very well. I'm doing this for some time now. But I have many of these crawlies. Even have the olive oil traps set up. Catch a few in them too. Guess they have a good hiding place beneath the rose plants because I have pebble mulch. I heard they die for soap water I wonder if I blast the pebbles with soap water, I can reduce the numbers but I'm scared of the soap affecting the plants. Any suggestions?


The soap water won't affect the plants if you don't use too much and too often, but will help with water penetration........

as for the photos upload....you will be able to do that after seven days membership and if you use the search function on top right there is a whole article on uploading photos.....if you still trouble, don't hesitate to ask.....

Thanks again Neptune. I'll use a mild soap solution. Didn't know that it helps in water penetration! Good information! Guess I'll be able to follow your advice on the photo uploads too after a week.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by SueH on 19th October 2015, 13:45

P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.[/quote] Thanks David!!

Hi Neil,  I'm one of David's "Victorianities"!!!! LOLOL  Dance   Actually, I live not far from you in Narre Warren North!  another of the "gang" - or Victorianities - lives in Belgrave!!  So NO.... you are not alone!
Seriously, welcome to the forum.  You will gain much from it and hopefully new friends.  We are a friendly lot (and mad - well, some of us!)
Welcome!
Cheers,
SueH.  Wave

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Location : Melbourne, Vic
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by AutumnDamask on 19th October 2015, 20:29

Hi Neil,
I'm in Victoria also. Smile

And earwigs are the bane of my gardening life.

I haven't been organised enough to do all the traps (they do like some soy sauce in their olive oil tho...). Chooks work too. Although they make a right mess of my mulch. Razz
avatar
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Location : Benalla, Victoria
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by silkyfizz on 19th October 2015, 23:36

Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
Sorry about your earwig and thrip problems. Haven't had those problems thank goodness so I can't offer any advice.
What roses do you have?
avatar
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Location : Melbourne
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 21st October 2015, 11:14

SueH wrote:P.S. we have Victorianites on here so you are not alone.
Thanks David!!

Hi Neil,  I'm one of David's "Victorianities"!!!! LOLOL  Dance   Actually, I live not far from you in Narre Warren North!  another of the "gang" - or Victorianities - lives in Belgrave!!  So NO.... you are not alone!
Seriously, welcome to the forum.  You will gain much from it and hopefully new friends.  We are a friendly lot (and mad - well, some of us!)
Welcome!
Cheers,
SueH.  Wave[/quote]

Thanks SueH. Happy to get one more friend.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 21st October 2015, 11:39

silkyfizz wrote:Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
Sorry about your earwig and thrip problems. Haven't had those problems thank goodness so I can't offer any advice.
What roses do you have?

Hi Silkyfizz. Thanks for making me feel at home. I have many unkown ones which came with the house. But last year I went crazy and planted quite a few.
I have Iceberg, Dublin Bay climbing (doing extremely well here), Sympathie climbing, Lamarque climbing twined around a self made obelisque/tripod (earwigs and thrips are having a go at the buds),two of the climbing Tangerine (so says the label, but looks awesome), a climbing Black Boy, a climbing Westerland, a Mr.Harry Wentworth, a climbing Altissimo, a climbing Dortmund which is a dud, 3 of the Delbard roses which are also duds.
This year I planted two Climbing Gold Bunnies, 1 climbing Crepuscule and a Simplicity lavender. They are all spread out in the front and back yard.

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 21st October 2015, 11:41

NEILMRITCHIE wrote:
silkyfizz wrote:Hi Neil, welcome to the forum. As others have said, this is a good place to learn and share all things "rosy". And to have a laugh too sometimes.
Sorry about your earwig and thrip problems. Haven't had those problems thank goodness so I can't offer any advice.
What roses do you have?

Hi Silkyfizz. Thanks for making me feel at home. I have many unkown ones which came with the house. But last year I went crazy and planted quite a few.
I have Iceberg, Dublin Bay climbing (doing extremely well here), Sympathie climbing, Lamarque climbing twined around a self made obelisque/tripod (earwigs and thrips are having a go at the buds),two of the climbing Tangerine (so says the label, but looks awesome), a climbing Black Boy, a climbing Westerland, a Mr.Harry Wentworth, a climbing Altissimo, a climbing Dortmund which is a dud, 3 of the Delbard roses which are also duds.
This year I planted two Climbing Gold Bunnies, 1 climbing Crepuscule and a Simplicity lavender. They are all spread out in the front and back yard.

How about you, what is your list?

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 21st October 2015, 12:01

AutumnDamask wrote:Hi Neil,
I'm in Victoria also. Smile

And earwigs are the bane of my gardening life.  

I haven't been organised enough to do all the traps (they do like some soy sauce in their olive oil tho...). Chooks work too. Although they make a right mess of my mulch. Razz

Think that machine gun will work AutumnDamask! Laughing

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by muscovyduckling on 21st October 2015, 12:11

Hi Neil!

Another Victorian here - just up the road in Belgrave. Welcome to the forum!

You have heaps of great roses there! Lamarque is my favourite, and I bet you will love Crepuscule Smile You have heaps of red roses - are they your favourite?

I don't have any advice about earwigs, sorry. I am a lazy rosarian and just let the bugs have some, but there are plenty left for me to enjoy this year.
avatar
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Location : Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by NEILMRITCHIE on 22nd October 2015, 10:48

muscovyduckling wrote:Hi Neil!

Another Victorian here - just up the road in Belgrave. Welcome to the forum!

You have heaps of great roses there! Lamarque is my favourite, and I bet you will love Crepuscule Smile You have heaps of red roses - are they your favourite?

I don't have any advice about earwigs, sorry. I am a lazy rosarian and just let the bugs have some, but there are plenty left for me to enjoy this year.

Thanks Muscovyduckling. Yes, I do have a lot of them. Guess I bit off more than I can chew! Reds are my wife's fav, so need to please her you know! Laughing

NEILMRITCHIE

Number of posts : 22
Age : 51
Location : Hampton Park Vic 3976
Registration date : 2015-10-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by muscovyduckling on 22nd October 2015, 18:25

Lol, good man Smile
avatar
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Location : Dandenong Ranges, Melbourne
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Hi Rose lovers

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum