Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Off-topic: Greyhound muzzling laws

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Off-topic: Greyhound muzzling laws

Post by muscovyduckling on 3rd July 2015, 11:51

Hi folks,

As you're all probably aware, I'm a bit of a greyhound advocacy nut. I love the gentle, lazy lumps, and think they belong on my couch, not in a mass grave at the bottom of a mine shaft.

Some of you may not be aware, however, that in Victoria all greyhounds are required by law (Section 27 of the Domestic Animals Act) to be muzzled and leashed when not on the owners' property. In rosarian terms, this means I can't rip out all my grass to grow roses, because my pups won't have anywhere left to run around! Another win for Kikuyu Sad

This law is a hangover from a time when racing greyhounds were trained in groups on public land via coursing or 'blooding' with a small prey animal. This isn't supposed to happen anymore, but the laws remain, and now that people are starting to adopt greyhounds as family pets the law extends to them too, which was never the intention.

Luckily, the Act is up for review in Victoria and the big wigs are calling for submissions from the public [url=x-apple-data-detectors://0]until the 10th of July[/url]. I was hoping that some of you might be able to have a read of the info I've included below, and send off a quick email to The Powers That Be asking for them to repeal the greyhound leasing and muzzling laws as part of their review.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

My wimpy boy Laddie and I would be forever grateful Smile

Cheers,
Zoe.

PS. My main concern with this law is that members of the wider Victorian community are fearful of greyhounds and believe them to be aggressive in nature, as greyhounds are only ever seen in public fully muzzled and leashed. Many families disregard the idea of having a greyhound as a family pet, either because they assume the breed must be aggressive due to these laws, or because they find the idea of having to keep a pet muzzled and leashed in public to be too much of a hindrance. As you are no doubt aware, the Australian greyhound racing industry is currently in crisis, and any barriers to the adoption of greyhounds as family pets in the minds of the public only serves to place further pressure on the welfare of greyhounds in Australia.
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Off-topic: Greyhound muzzling laws

Post by SueH on 3rd July 2015, 12:59

Will do Zoe. Stupid law...... again!! Perhaps they would be better off spending their time regulating the training of greyhounds and the "so called" professionals! Evil or Very Mad

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 3rd July 2015, 13:05

I believe that greyhounds that have passed through Greyhound Rescue and assessed as safe wear a bright green collar and these dogs don't need to be muzzled in public.

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 3rd July 2015, 16:43

Zoe,

Mine has been sent, here it is,

To whom it may concern,
The rules of muzzling greyhounds are archaic, what about any other long nosed dogs. It has and will always been thought that a dog with a long muzzle is the one that bites. This is a fallacy, Boxers bit, Maltese bit, any dog can bite.
It is time that the laws regarding greyhounds are changed to bring them inline with other dogs. Only known offending dogs need to be muzzled or placed on leashes. How many reports of greyhounds biting people against any other breed, show me the records please.
Bring the rules onto the 21st century for greyhounds.

Regards,

David Mears.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 3rd July 2015, 18:01

Thanks David and Sue Smile

That's right Barbara, the 'green collar' assessment is Greyhound Racing Victoria's way of getting around the silly laws. Their adoption program (GAP) has a special exemption from the law, so that a greyhound that passes their behaviour test gets a green collar and doesn't have to wear a muzzle. They still have to be leashed though.

Unfortunately, they're the only adoption agency that has the exemption. So if your greyhound comes from the RSPCA, Lost Dogs Home, Greyhound Safety Net, Amazing Greys, or any other greyhound rescue place in Victoria, or if you buy or adopt a greyhound from a private breeder that has never raced, they all still have to wear the muzzle and leash.

The thing is, GAP only manage to re-home about three hundred greyhound every year, but 20,000 greyhounds are born in Australia every year. So about 2/3 of ex-racers are put down, and the rest end up at the non-for-profit adoption places and have to wear the muzzle.

That means people see a few greyhounds walking around without muzzles, and a lot of muzzled dogs. They must think there are lot lot of aggressive greyhounds out there, and a handful that aren't. So it's still not a good look for the breed.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya on 5th July 2015, 11:36

Good Luck.

It is a sad affair indeed.

Although there is no restriction for the greyhounds to wear muzzles in UK I always wondered why I rarely see greyhounds as pets around. Very posh elegant  and good looking and very friendly domesticated animals.

I am amazed that the greyhounds can do 40 miles per hour in a seconds.

I have got the impression that you need to be athletic or healthy enough to own the greyhound and most people here love and own cats - perhaps the need to act pretty fast to go after the greyhound if it decides to run around or chase a cat or something is putting people off... better to stay away from trouble and don't get greyhounds because they are not swift and or healthy enough to own the greyhound.

Since you have a greyhound I picture you as naturally an athletic swift slender person Zoe. You must have slim slender long legs too!

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 5th July 2015, 12:03

Bahahahahaha Alya! If only that were true!

I always tell my husband I wish a looked more like a greyhound - big chest, tiny waist, and those long long legs! Alas!

I'm not an athletic person at all. The only exercise I do is gardening and walking the dogs. But the thing is, I can't run as fast as ANY breed of dog, let alone greyhounds. No-one can! If my kelpie girl decided to chase after something, I wouldn't be able to catch her either. So that doesn't really factor into my thinking.

It's hilarious that folks near you think they'd be able to run faster than their pet dogs if it decided to chase something!! Hahahah! Who can outrun a dog?! I can just picture it now, heheh.

I know what you mean about the cats though. Lots of ex-racing greyhounds love to chase cats, so the folks who want to adopt one and have a pet cat have to wait for a 'cat-friendly' greyhound to come up for adoption. They get snapped up very quickly! But we don't have cats here because there's so much wildlife around, so we're lucky that we can adopt whichever greyhound we like.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Alya on 5th July 2015, 13:13

You are lucky you don't have to wait to adopt.

The point was to understand, know and control his/her pet rather than outrun the pet. Getting just the muzzles off is not enough here. Higher mountains to climb to educate people and see more greyhounds as pets around.

I know someone got a dog as a puppy then trained the animal to attack a someone specific..the dog eventually worked it out how to get to this person's house and run faster than a bullet and attacked him at his kitchen door..now that person is disabled after the attack and the owner got away with it.

You are blessed about the cats: Sometimes it feels the cats are far more important than humans because of the fuss and the noise about them..it is like if someone is caught chasing the  neighbour's cat for making the garden a toilet ground for itself and the person is seen on the act by the cat owner that person is persecuted  by the cat owner the cat lovers and genreally labelled as dangerous so and so...And if a dog attacks a cat and dangerously hurts it or kills it in the process the dog gets put down. No escape!

You don't put your dog onto a treadmill for his daily walk while you sit on the coach by choice every day . Do you? I don't think so!

Alya

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2015-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 13th July 2015, 12:47

Good for you Zoe. I learnt first hand how gentle and lazy they are when my neighbour acquired a GAP dog Raj. (Originally named 'Stinky' by a prison inmate who had the job of training him for adoption). Such a beautiful and placid creature. He was never in the least bothered by my hyperactive Jack Russell or the numerous cats he encountered in his daily walks. Not long ago his owner was devastated when she arrived home to find Raj dead on her bed. Vet believes due to a heart attack. Totally unexpected and so sad.

Speaking of sadness my beloved Sampson passed away recently. I cannot express the grief I feel.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 13th July 2015, 14:27

I'm so sorry Silky xxx
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 13th July 2015, 15:35

Thank you Zoe.
Sam was the most gentle and loving boy. Aust Ch bull terrier, another maligned and misunderstood breed. Place isn't the same without him. Sonny my JRT misses him too and is fretting badly for his lifelong companion. Sniff...
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 21st July 2015, 16:03

Sampson is gone???? Oh nooooo. I just popped infor a quick look, and I find this sad news. Oh so very sorry, silky We talked about Sam a lot last yearwhen my Rosie passed away. I loved his pix to pieces/ I recall that he was not given terribly loing to live at that point (a year ago, was it?) so I happy that he had that year with you. I know how much you loved this sweet boy. A beautiful Rainbow Bridge for this beautiful soul.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 21st July 2015, 16:30

silkyfizz wrote:Good for you Zoe. I learnt first hand how gentle and lazy they are when my neighbour acquired a GAP dog Raj. (Originally named 'Stinky' by a prison inmate who had the job of training him for adoption). Such a beautiful and placid creature. He was never in the least bothered by my hyperactive Jack Russell or the numerous cats he encountered in his daily walks. Not long ago his owner was devastated when she arrived home to find Raj dead on her bed. Vet believes due to a heart attack. Totally unexpected and so sad.

Speaking of sadness my beloved Sampson passed away recently. I cannot express the grief I feel.

I'm so sorry Silky, I know how you feel. I lost Rosie at the beginning of the year and was devastated. They mean so much to us don't they. Crying or Very sad xx

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 25th July 2015, 22:07

Thank you Betsy and Sue. I was going to respond a few days ago but couldn't see for tears. It's so heartbreaking when they go. I know you both understand, having lost your own Rosie not that long ago.
Both Rosie Smile...you know my Sonny was going to be Rosie if he was a girl. He is missing his mate so much, checks Sam's bed every morning, licks his blanket. I'm not much better, still teary. So I'm venturing out in the freezing cold to work in the garden as much as I can.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 27th July 2015, 13:38

Oh Silky! No it's not easy. A friend of mine "took' me to the Lost Dog Home. I now have 2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - Gracie and Toby. They are a delight and such fun. Maybe in time, you will think of having another dog. Phone if you want, you know you can anytime. Surprised xx

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 27th July 2015, 14:31

What Sue said. IMO you should be open to another dog, silky, because there's a sweet living soul out there that is looking for you, and really needs someone just like you to love it. A marvellous little black poodle was dropped into my life a few months after Rosie died. Well cared for physically, but without a shred of love spent on her. The owner was so indifferent to her that he called her "Poodle "- REALLY - and while he travelled the world she spent most of her 5 years on earth in doggy daycare and kennels. She hasn't replaced Rosie, she's the next runner in the love relay ;-). So stay open about the dog out there who desperately needs the warm and wonderful and exceptional dog whisperer that is our silky fizz.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 27th July 2015, 15:35

On the subject of greyhounds: while walking my dogs yesterday, we passed what must be one of the most exquisite creatures on the Planet, a small fawn male greyhound with a face and expression straight out of an Old Master painting. Oh. My. God. My dogs are calm and well mannered with other pooches,but even they were besotted, fell about at the Grey's feet; begging for attention from this Dog God. Was wearing the aforementioned green collar ( this in Nsw ). Totally unfazed by idiotic behaviour of small strange dogs bouncing up and down, gave them a diffident sniff like a royal wave, and just stood aristocratically aloof at side of owner as we chatted briefly. A $200 rescue grey, two years old. Boy, was this animal a bargain. In a different world, people would pay thousands to have such a noble and magnificent beast at their side.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 6th August 2015, 16:14

Sue and Betsy, thank you so much for your kind thoughts. You warmed my heart.
I'm so glad you have both found delight and joy in your new doggy family members. They sound wonderful and I know will flourish in your loving attention and enjoy romping in your garden.
Sonny is still very sad and seems to have aged almost overnight. Gone is the bumptious larrikin who ruled the backyard with the heart of a lion. He is getting lots of cuddles and treats and will not leave my side. His sadness mirrors my own but I know he would never accept another dog. We just have to let time take its course. Soon it will be spring and the world will be brighter again.
Never fear girls, there will always be a dog or two in my life. I cannot imagine life without the fun and devotion that only a dog can bring to each day. Take care.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud on 13th August 2015, 15:13

Oh so lovely and poignant reading about rose lovers who are also dog-lovers. And my heart breaks whenever I hear about the plight of greyhounds in our society. Cannot imagine living without dogs at my feet as I work in the garden, and then by my side when I stop for a cuppa. A sad loss when you lose such a loyal friend and companion.
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum