» Garden or Exhibition roses?
by Ozeboy 6th May 2017, 09:28

» Potted Roses
by KokoSam 23rd April 2017, 13:25

Pollen from florist roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pollen from florist roses

Post by Alee on 17th March 2009, 06:42

Can we use florist roses as pollen parent. One might think why would someone want to get pollen from florist roses. In here there aren't many different roses, but there are a few roses at the florist.

Do you think the florist roses will be in a state to be used as pollen parent?

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Pollen from florist roses

Post by Admin on 17th March 2009, 12:52

A lot of people do use them as a pollen source. So long as they are dry and in an early bud stage you can get viable pollen from them. You still need to emasculate the blooms and dry the anthers to collect the pollen.

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 20th April 2009, 20:37

Was thinking about this a bit... You know you can also get buds/eyes off florist roses and graft them onto something as well! I don't know how good glasshouse roses would be (either as grafts or as pollen parents) for the tropical humid Maldives.

Last edited by Simon on 23rd April 2009, 20:23; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee on 20th April 2009, 20:57

Simon, I also thought about it a long time back and we discussed it on RE. I am trying to grow Rose Edward as rootstock. Once I have thick rootstock I'll try budding or wedge grafting. Any idea on how to make the rootstock fat?

Alee

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 20th April 2009, 21:05

I know you can take eyes off of florist roses although how viable they would be, that I am not sure of and I have never tried it myself. When you mentioned the fact that the Maldives is humid/tropical , I had a thought Idea just maybe the climate might help with getting the buds to take Hmmmm certainly worth a try I would think after all what have you got to loose, not much,and maybe you would gain some nice roses that would grow and you could then use them as a pollen parent
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 20th April 2009, 21:29

I think there is a good chance they would be viable unless they were somehow treated (like by quarantine etc)... not sure how that would affect them... but as you say... what have you got to lose? When I send those multiflora seeds over you'll have plenty of root stocks to use. I've budded onto understocks ranging from about the thickness of a pencil to around 1.5cm in diameter and I think the key factor is not so much the size of the understock but how strongly it is growing... I like small buds onto smaller understocks and larger ones onto larger understocks. As Carole said I think you'd be able to graft all year round there without too much trouble.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st April 2009, 07:21

Alee, a couple of things for homework, can you ask the florist the names of the roses that you can get. Down the track you might be able to sell some back to the florist. Also can you find out where the roses are coming from. Most roses that are shipped around the world are fumigated for bugs mainly and possible diseases. If it is a "new" rose the grower(not all) sometimes dip them in "glyphosate" to stop people using the buds without paying royalties for the propagation of them, as I said not many do it only some.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5100
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 21st April 2009, 17:11

The methyl bromide treatment that a lot of plant material is treated with might also knock them around.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee on 21st April 2009, 19:59

Roseman and Simon, thanks for the info. Lets hope they are not treated with glyphosphate and methyl bromide.

Roseman, I have asked the florists the names of the roses they have and they normally don't have an idea.

Alee

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 23rd April 2009, 05:44

Alee, glass houses roses generally do not do well in the garden. We have the largest cut flower grower in Australia just arond the corner with glasshouse Hydroponic growing methods. Their chemical costs run into thousands $ss a month, very unhealthy business.

You can propagate them by budding and possibly using the pollen but what for? Roses have a health problem already and adding to that seems crazy. If cut flowers are getting into your area then you should be able to get healthier roses in also.
Due to your limited space would suggest you talk to Simon re healthiest minatures. Trial his suggestions in your humid climate and breed something from those.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 24th April 2009, 18:43

I have to agree with what Bruce has said (unless of course your goal was to build a greenhouse and raise glasshouse roses for cut flower production in the Maldives... then I can see it as being a very good start). The florist roses aren't great garden doers in general. There are, however, some of the older ones like 'Kardinal' which are tough as nails and great in the garden... I was thinking that the environment in the glasshouses is hot and humid and so is your environment so you might be ok... but I too have been to big cut flower growers greenhouses and even in sterile environments they still require intensive chemical intervention as well as stringent quarantine procedures ... they even gased the soil in the glasshouses with Bromine gas to kill any microorganisms in the soil.

I was also thinking, Alee, that the multiflora seeds might not be your best bet to obtain understocks. I'm thinking you might be better off ordering some 'Fortuneana' plants which are commonly used as understocks in very warm locations and is suitable for growth in sandy soil. I'm just sorting the seeds out now and will send some over but still think you should try and acquire some 'Fortuneana'. I have prepared 55 OP multiflora seeds to send over. They will be dusted with a fungicide so will apear a little yellow. How does quarantine want me to label the seeds?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum