More re Treloars catalogue

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

More re Treloars catalogue

Post by betsyw on 9th April 2015, 16:33

Did anyone try Addictive Lure from last year's new offerings? Was it addictive? A lure, even? Or better named Boring Turn-Off?

Also, how did Sweet Parole go for you, Carole? (I think it was Carole who was oing to give this sport a twirl).
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: More re Treloars catalogue

Post by silkyfizz on 9th April 2015, 18:25

Addictive Lure was one that caught my eye too Betsy, as well as Red Riding Hood. Lucky I've got no more room for more but would be interested to know if these lived up to expectations.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1621
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 9th April 2015, 19:05

Betsy, yes it was Carole which mentioned Sweet Parole and yes she is over the moon with it, so has decided to order the original, 'Parole', I will post a photo of it to show the growth in less than one year.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5191
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 9th April 2015, 19:11

I love my Parole, planted last winter. Such huge vibrant blooms that amaze me because the bush is quite small still.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 9th April 2015, 19:27

As you all know by now, I am Numero Uno fan of teh orginal Parole. Two of mine are rather long in the tooth - 12 years old, and in need of real ground, not pots. My newer ones haven't been so productive as the older gals (when they were the same age). I wonder if that loss of vigour that seems to plague roses that have been cloned too often and too long , is at work here. . Still, I just order another one every year. Love this bordello pink baby and its scent. My very newest one has drowned, though, I think. No leaves and a lot of black die-back.

I will be HANGING OUT to hear what Carole says when she compares the two. I'm hoping teh sport will be more like its parent in former years with the big bang blooms.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 9th April 2015, 19:31

I have oodles of room, silky, but no bloody sun execpt during high summer. The only full day sun stretch of land is down the back, when no hose will ever reach. Very frustrating.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 9th April 2015, 20:33

I don't know if this will work yet, but I just bought two 30m hoses with a little hose adaptor thing, and I'm going to join them together to see if they will reach 60m and still have water coming out of them.

I'll have to hook them up to the mains of course, it wouldn't make it that far from the tank without a pump.
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 9th April 2015, 20:33

Failing that.. Chop some trees down?
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 9th April 2015, 20:49

Not enough sun? Bummer! I remember seeing some photos of your garden Betsy and commenting on the magnificent trees you have. But they do have their drawbacks. I know that feeling well, but since my neighbour has finally removed several enormous pine trees, my backyard is now flooded with sunshine and what a difference it makes. Flowers everywhere.

Zoe I don't think there will be any problem with your joined hoses. I have 3 joined together. Only problem I have is walking back constantly to sort out tangles and kinks. Drives me mad but better water than drought.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 9th April 2015, 21:26

Zoe, I have a 15m and a 30m joined together (on the mains) and they pump out water just fine - but you're right about playing Wichita lineman, and walking the line endless flicking up a kink, only to find another kink has appeared further down. The malice of inanimate objects....

Also, coiling the blasted thing is tedious. I usually just arrange into two parallel rows down the side of the walkway.

. The trees, lots of them, are 80-100 years old. I'd need to fly in a logging team from the Pacific Northwest to fell em lol. (Also, I believe they are protected by council regs).
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 9th April 2015, 21:50

Hehe awesome. I was thinking about un-linking them (the hoses) when I'm finished with them and storing them at a 30m distance from each other.. If you know what I mean? So I can just link them up when I need to.

I have lots of shady trees too Betsy, but they're not on my property so there's nothing I can do about them either. They're gums too, which are not deciduous. If they were at least deciduous I would be happy.

Ahh well. Anyone like hydrangeas? Hahah.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 9th April 2015, 21:52

PS. I will go you halves in a logging team if they can operate by stealth at night and chop down my neighbours gums. Ha.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 9th April 2015, 21:54

PPS. Has anyone tried those elasticity hoses that coil back up into little spirals by themselves? I wonder how kinky they are?

(Neptune, feel free to jump in any time! Hahahaha)
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 9th April 2015, 22:07

Hi , yes I planted sweet Parole at the end of September and yes I am over the moon with her. Very pretty, delicate looking flowers on very long stems. In only six months she has grown fantastically with lots of stems . If she is fantastic now , she will be amazing next season.
I wasn't sure whether to get her or Parole. I chose well I think but I am going to get Parole this year. The colour is very different, I think the shape about the same and if it performs like Sweet Parole I will be overjoyed.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 9th April 2015, 22:24

muscovyduckling wrote:PPS. Has anyone tried those elasticity hoses that coil back up into little spirals by themselves? I wonder how kinky they are?

(Neptune, feel free to jump in any time! Hahahaha)

Splash!!!!....I'm in....... the thing with those spirals is that you are always pulling against them as they want to go back into there coil instead of being stretched out. If you put it down for a split second, you better start running after it........

I would run a pvc pipe down to where you want it with a garden hose connection on it. The cons are that it might cost a few dollars more(but not that much) ....
the pros are endless
neptune

Number of posts : 2450
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th April 2015, 06:41

betsyw wrote:I have oodles of room, silky, but no bloody sun execpt during high summer. The only full day sun stretch of land is down the back, when no hose will ever reach. Very frustrating.
Betsy, what distance are you talking from the closest tap ? I am editing this I have read further down the 1st page. Betsy and Zoe as you both have a great distance from the 'main' I would go the way John has suggested, run a new line from the old end tap to a position in the garden you both are talking about. This could be run along the garden edge or fence line. If you do this I would suggest no lesser than 19ml/3/4in poly.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th April 2015, 07:04

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Betsy as you will see by the photos which I have just taken are not "photoshopped", they are 'raw' shots. As Carole mentioned it is great. It has grown to this size in 8 months, 75cm high x 60cm wide.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 10th April 2015, 08:24

WINTER IS COMING.......;-) I will look into the pvc pipe, though. Does it connect to the tap coennection itself, or do I need a plumber to fit it?

Hey, that sWeet Parole looks great! . i would hope its scent is a good as its parent. Some people rate original Parole's fragrance superior in style to Fragrant Cloud. better ( more elegant) . No cheapo citrus, either.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th April 2015, 08:32

I am off to the Rare Plant Fair in Richmond/Clarendon now and will get back to you about the rose on Sunday evening., but I would ask what the end connection at the tap(in ground) is made of .
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 10th April 2015, 10:29

You're right John. It's not the money, it's just the getting organised that I'm not good at. But I will get a plumber friend to tell me how to do it, and do it (eventually).
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 10th April 2015, 10:37

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:I am off to the Rare Plant Fair in Richmond/Clarendon now and will get back to you about the rose on Sunday evening., but I would ask what the end connection at the tap(in ground) is made of .

The tap is just your common old metal tap. There are three on the property, and two work. Must be half a century old. , but they deliver water, and so I am not keen to replace them. Not exactly a garden feature, ya know? ;-)

Have a good time at the plant show. Rare plants to me are the roses that actually BLOOM!
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 10th April 2015, 13:57

Girls...you can run 19mm pipe to wherever you want....now there is two types.......black plastic pipe(comes in a roll- uncoil it and stick it out in the sun to straighten it out) and the white poly pipe.....

If you go the black poly pipe, all you need is one of the hose universal fitting to stick in each end and clamp in place using multigrips(2seconds work).....from there you just plug in your hose universal fittings and away you go......

white poly pipe is slightly different.....you still need the different fittings on the end of the pipe to accept the hose universal fitting, but they need to be glued into place , not clipped

In both cases you don't need a plumber.

To connect to your mains water supple.....just get a off cut garden hose that has universal fittings....connect one end into new pipe the other into house tap mains......too easy....
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 10th April 2015, 14:08

You make it sound so easy neptune. I think I'm going to give that a try. Thanks.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 10th April 2015, 17:03

One thing I should have added......at the end of the pipe run you can add an inline on/off valve, so you can turn it on at the house without running to the end to control the outpouring of water......I have something on all my hoses that I find extremely handy.....I found it at Bunnings......It is a universal female fitting that has a small on/off dial on it.
It is orange and grey in color and is made by Gardena.......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 10th April 2015, 20:42

Oh my god. John, you are a legend. Has anyone ever told you that? Legend.

I can totally do this.

I'm going to buy one of those three-hose adaptor things that you put on you tap and you can then attach three hoses to it. Then I can have hoses and poly pipe and irrigation pipes and everything all permanently attached to one tap.

Oh, and another thing John - if I run a black poly pipe to somewhere, is three some way of turning it into another garden tap, instead of just plugging a hose directly into the end?
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum