Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Christmas Flush

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Christmas Flush

Post by Balinbear on 5th January 2015, 15:45

A few photos  I took over the past week or so.

Part of the reno garden
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Mrs B R Cant on an arch

Comtesse de Labarthe

Monsieur Tillier, "Rose Hedge Cottage Pink" Mrs BR Cant

"Mr Williams Rose"

Bear and Zephyr
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Christmas Flush

Post by neptune on 5th January 2015, 16:46

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud on 5th January 2015, 16:51

Gorgeous garden, Balinbear - Love the four-legged mascots, very cute. The Teas are all looking lovely. I'm not familiar with Mr Williams Rose - a Tea too?
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 5th January 2015, 23:01

Mr Williams Rose was purchased from the HIRIA (grown for the SA conference).

From the Catalogue of the TEA-NOISETTE-CHINA COLLECTION AT RUSTON’S ROSES:

“Mr Williams’ Rose” Collected WA, several sites. Seen as ‘Élie Beauvilain’ 1887 in USA (imported from Roseraie de l‘Haÿ); not sure whether that ID is correct.
Syn “Mr Williams’ Not Gloire de Dijon”.

Nice climber and flowerer. I wish that we had put it on a trellis than a pillar but I will try to get some going from cuttings next year and see what We can do.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 5th January 2015, 23:04

wow Id pay to go to that rose garden
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 5th January 2015, 23:35

If you (or anyone else) are on the Sunshine Coast here let me know and we can arrange a visit.

No entrance charges apply!
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th January 2015, 06:22

Gary in the first photo there are three structures, are these from the previous part of the garden or the new and what is on them please ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 6th January 2015, 10:13

David

There are actually 5 structures in the photo. All were outside of the garden reno area.

Starting from the LHS near the start of the photo there is an empty looking stand. This appears to be a failed experiment with the china Fellenberg not doing what we had hoped it would. I think we scored a non-climbing version. We will probably replace it this year as it has been there for a couple of years and not climbed at all.

Details of the stand are on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Going across to the right next there is another stand (the big green clump with the pink Pentas in front of it). This stand has the rambler Mrs Alice Gardner on it. Alice is normally covered in flowers in spring and carries flowers through the summer (though not profusely) though this year (sorry last year) due to the dry (I think) the flowering was not as good. It still put on a reasonable show but not up to her normal standard. Another plant of her in a different part of the garden was similarly affected. The stand and the plants around it was part of the old garden that were at the right level to be left intact. Actually that part looked so good we decided that it was to be the basis for the height of the new garden.

Next to the right is the pointed roof pergola that was the first or second (can't remember which) structure that I built. I built it as an Easter present for Lee (a lot of the structures in our garden have been presents for Lee) back in the 1990's (not actually sure of the year). It was built as the entrance to our initial rose garden. When first built we had Albertine growing on it and each spring it was beautiful but boofhead here wanted something that flowered more often and to match the roses growing over the arches that we put on the other entrances to the garden that was renovated (maybe changed is a better word) back in the early 2000's we replaced it with Mrs BR Cant. She did alright but around 2011 It was removed and Albertine was replanted. It is a good thing you can grow plants from cuttings etc otherwise we would not have the plants we have or we would be broke by now.

Next across we have a blue obelisk that I built about 10 of one weekend. I made them out of pine sleepers that I cut into strips. If I remember correctly it took two sleepers (about $24) to make them. That one has a cutting grown Mme Alfred Carriere (Noisette) growing on it. Its parent is growing on another one further away from the photo but out of sight. Not sure if it was the best choice but they handle being cutback each year and they flower freely (white) throughout the year and the perfume is quite nice.

Details of the obelisk [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Finally near the left hand side you can see a trellis that has Fortunes Double Yellow. It looks a bit bear at present but last year in spring (it’s a once flowerer) it looked magnificent. After that but hidden in the photo is a Rev d Or, Albertine, Marechal Neal (maybe Duchesse d Auerstadt as there is some confusion as to what is sold in Australia), E Veyrat Hermanos and finally a Comtesse de Labarthe.

Also in the photo just to the left of the obelisk is the red rose Nur Mahal that was being discussed a couple of weeks back. That is in the old garden behind and below the renovated section.

For those interested most of the understorey plants you can see growing in the renovated section came from breaking up plants we have in the rest of the garden (Yarrow, Penstomen, and Verbena) or were in the renovated section. The tall blue salvias and the more purple ones were grown from seed collected from ones purchased in small punnets from Bunnings. We collected the seed from the spent flowers and planted it in trays and the things germinated in a couple of days and we ended up with 280 or so of the blue ones even though I am sure I only collected 50 seeds and over 300 of the purple ones. The purple one is Salvia Nemorsa “Blue Queen”. The tall blue one was simply labelled as blue salvia. Oh yes the Burgundy Coreopsis is one which we found at a Masters hardware.

There are roses in there as well though they are not clearly visible. Going right from the Mrs Alice Garner there is Aussie Sixer, “Sunny Coast” (our OP pink Mons Tillier) “David’s Dilemma”, an unknown apricot-pink rescued from a garden at Maleny and a Souvenir De La Malmaison. There are also a couple of Borderers (including our OP red one) and a couple of pink polyanthas also rescued from Maleny.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but my shoulder is still healing so there is not too much I can actually do at present.

Gary
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th January 2015, 19:12

Thanks Gary, Yes I remember those two journeys(links) well. I have had the idea of a trellis for a long bed for a while and on revisiting your garden have worked out the structure for mine, as we have white ants the posts will be metal instead of wood. How many wire strands did you give them so they could start the climb ?. Most of my climbers are in place, they will receive a very large hair cut first.

As for the length of the post, keep them coming Gary, as you are in rehab for a while why not post some more, for me they make great reading, looking at the roses you mention gives me an insight to some wonderful teas amongst other roses. Hope the shoulder is on the mend.
By the way how is "David's Dilemma" growing ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 7th January 2015, 18:15

David

The main trellis we grow our climbers on is simply treated pine posts out of the ground 1.8 metres 2.4 metres apart with a rail along the top between the posts. I put plain fencing wire between the posts every 300mm or so up the post for the rose to grow onto.

Fortunes Double Yellow

Rev d Or

For a special affect I did the Tee topped ones but that was because I knew the rose (Souvenir de Madam Leonie Viennot) was a big growing. Normally I would have put her on a pergola but we wanted a different affect for that one.

It has grown somewhat since that photo

"David's Dilemma" is growing well. It was in a pot for a while but seems to like its position in the reno garden. Its about 600mm high and 1 metre diameter. Flowers in flushes every few weeks.

So far as the posts go I will see what I can put together.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 7th January 2015, 18:33

A couple of more snaps I found

One of the borders. The red rose on the trellis on the right hand side is the“Rose sold as Papillon” (from HRIAI List Syn “Australian Papillon”. Same as “Mrs. Heggie’s Red Tea” and “Bermuda Papa Gontier”. probably ‘Beauté Inconstante’). Hard to see on the LHS is Serratipetala (little red dots behind the pink edge), Souvenir de Wootton on the post and a couple Monsieur Tilliers further up.

View from the driveway
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 7th January 2015, 21:05

This is just cruel Gary Smile
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 9th January 2015, 06:23

Yes it is cruel Zoe, in the past we have had Gary doing traveling garden renos from Wendy's to ours, but alas, he seems to have got lost.
Gary, can you tell me a bit about  "Papillon", in the shot the colour looks  one of the better shades of the pinks.
Another question Gary in the photo of the entrance what is the big flowering tree, top left of the shot. Thanks David.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 9th January 2015, 15:34

I do believe that the pink flowering tree is a Cassia javanica. Nice tree but very messy with lots of bean like seed pods that stink when you mow them.

"Papillon" (like a lot of teas) varies in colour depending on the weather. In the warmer months it can close to a dark red while in the cooler months it is pinker and can have white in the colouring.

Winter Photo

Summer Photo though the flowers are generally redder than shown.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 9th January 2015, 18:53

Gary I do like the darker colour, it is funny you mention it gets darker in Summer, most roses weaken with heat.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 9th January 2015, 20:15

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:Gary I do like the darker colour, it is funny you mention it gets darker in Summer, most roses weaken with heat.

Yes it is odd but that's the way the colour goes.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 13th January 2015, 22:23

Hi Gary
I am back again and it is great to see your wonderful garden. I think I am ready for a third visit sometime. I purchased Mr Williams rose from Pittsworth recently and was wondering what it would be like. It is still in a pot.
I was also given a variegated rambler with fine ferny foliage. I wonder if it is Achievement which I have just read about in David Ruston's book My Life With Roses. I guess next spring I will find out.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 20th January 2015, 10:22

Gary, I noticed the blooms on the Mrs. B.R. Cant Clg you sent me to be darker than the bush form. It hasn't stopped blooming since November so consider your Mrs B R C to be a better clone than the bush form. I'm going to graft it again this season,definitely one of my favourites

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 20th January 2015, 23:06

Bruce.

Thanks for the info. Our Mrs BRCs are all healthy though we have found they are susceptible to borers.

Have your plants climbed or look like they are? We are growing some as shrubs. They are large but do not look like climbers. Even our climbers don't really have long stalks which is a general characteristic of a climber.

Gary
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st January 2015, 06:24

Gary and or Bruce, is there a definite form of Mrs BRC which is a climber or is it just grown into a larger form of the plant ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 21st January 2015, 08:05

I suspect it is just a larger form even though there is the occasional long "climber" cane is does not have a lot of them.

3-4 metres high though is a large shrub.
Balinbear

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 21st January 2015, 09:59

Gary-David, I budded about 8 from the buds you sent and have not had any perform like a true climber. You may remember I asked you if the buds came from the climbing canes. I agree with you, it is a large bush, different from all Mrs B R C's I have seen in the past. At the moment it is my wife's favourite which speaks volumes as she is not a rose person I have closed the nursery but will propagate this one for myself or friends.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 22nd January 2015, 06:33

Ozeboy wrote: I have closed the nursery but will propagate this one for myself or friends.
If needed I can start a new thread. As mentioned Bruce you have closed the nursery, any chance of doing a stock take and let everyone know what is for sale or maybe for sale, you get to clear up a bit and we might get some of those wonderful roses you have acquired.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum