by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Hello, Zephirine here!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello, Zephirine here!

Post by Zephirine on 16th November 2014, 17:14

Hi All,

I'm Zephirine from Adelaide. Lovely to be rose-talking with you all. *curtsies*

After a "false-start" joining Rose Talk two years ago (tech troubles, mostly of the 'operator-error' kind), I wandered in the garden for two years and now am back, reminded off membership by the latest email and stern telling-off from the administrator. (Is he a boat captain/ex-military/school principal by any chance?) ;D

I am a lover of all roses and enjoy growing them as well as arranging them, as I am a florist with 17 years under my apron ties. I also enjoy trying my hand at propagating (non-patented varieties, naturally) using the various methods. I've yet to get a seed to germinate, but am working on it.

In my little, courtyard garden, I have a 'Leonardo Da Vinci', a David Austin 'Sophy's Rose' a 'Woburn Abbey', climbing 'Peace' and what I call a 'False Double Delight'- it said 'Double Delight' when I purchased it, but when it blossomed, it turned out to be a highly fragrant, ivory rose.

I also inherited a crop of standards which sadly have been choked by their Dr. Huey rootstock, and need to be removed, but, that at least gives me a chance to plant a new rose bed!

Anyway, it's lovely to be back, and I hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.

Happy Rosing!
Xx
Zephirine

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello, Zephirine here!

Post by neptune on 16th November 2014, 17:42

Zephirine wrote:

I'm Zephirine from Adelaide. Lovely to be rose-talking with you all. *curtsies*

stern telling-off from the administrator. (Is he a boat captain/ex-military/school principal by any chance?) ;D

He is all of the above and a few more.......they tell me he takes his anger out by stomping on grapes...[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

as I am a florist with 17 years under my apron ties.

I am chasing "Babys Breath" seeds that is used in floral arrangements. I can't seem to find the exact ones they use in arrangements. Do you have them and if so do you post to WA?

PS:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 16th November 2014, 18:17

Hi Neptune,
Lovely to hear from you.

All of the above and more?! Haha!! In answer to David's curt question regarding the whereabouts of the members, I immediately thought they must all be in hiding! Wink

Regarding gypsophila, I believe it is not permitted by law to grow in Western Australia due to its being a host plant for the Silver Leaf Whitefly or some other munchy bug. You can check that out with W.A. quarantine, but that is what I believe.

For reference, the variety I use in floristry is Million Stars. It is apparently zealously guarded by its Israeli breeder, Danziger. Between Danziger and the W.A. Dept. of Agriculture, you should get your answer.

Z Smile x
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 16th November 2014, 18:32

Zephirine wrote:
Regarding gypsophila, I believe it is not permitted by law to grow in Western Australia due to its being a host plant for the Silver Leaf Whitefly or some other munchy bug. You can check that out with W.A. quarantine, but that is what I believe.

For reference, the variety I use in floristry is Million Stars. It is apparently zealously guarded by its Israeli breeder, Danziger. Between Danziger and the W.A. Dept. of Agriculture, you should get your answer.

Z Smile x

That's interesting....I wonder where they get there gypsophila(grown) from?
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 16th November 2014, 19:52

Hi Zephirine! And welcome (back)!

It was really strange to see your post signed 'Z' - my real name is Zoe (no big secret around here, hahah) and that's generally how I sign all my personal correspondences. As soon as I saw your post signed 'Z' I thought "Holy crap, someone has stolen my identity!", before realising how ridiculous that was and reading the whole post. Hahahaha.

So thanks for the laugh, it's always nice to have another Z around Smile
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 16th November 2014, 19:58

PS. John, my mum seems to think the majority of Perth's cut flowers are imported from interstate or overseas (perhaps Zephie can enlighten us?), so perhaps cut flowers are easier to treat before being brought in, or something...

WA is such a delightful/irritating mystery, and the bio rules seem to be cloaked in a veil of secrecy.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 16th November 2014, 20:42

Hello Zeph, welcome back. I am always envious of florists with their magical touch in creating beautiful arrangements. My efforts always seem to look like I just plonked a few blooms in a vase higgledy piggledy. Lol
I'm sorry to hear about your standards. A new rose bed eh? Yay, we love those conversations. Let the fun begin!
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 16th November 2014, 21:12

Thanks SilkyFizz and Zoe for the welcome Wave

Apologies for stealing your sign-off initial, Zoe! I think there may even be another Zephie around, so maybe I'll just be Zep... my actual name is so uniquely spelled and rare (I think there are only 2 or 3 of us in Australia when I checked) so for web safety's sake, Zep it is!

SilkyFizz, I also just plonk stuff! These days, one has a wealth of floristry how-to's at one's fingertips thanks to YouTube et al, so it's easier to learn. I started my traineeship (concurrent with a degree...busy times) at the turn of the millennium when the club was still very closed and the mysteries of floristry, as with any trade were guarded. Now, fighting for business with self-taught competitors makes the market rather flooded. Cuts both ways this internet thing, in many ways.

I'm sad too about my standards being choked by their own rootstock. At first, not knowing, I thought they were those double-variety standards, but then I thought "Why would anyone graft that little dark red, very thorny, very prolific variety with such a plump, yellow/orange rose (no idea what they are, but they are a little bit like the 'Woburn Abbey' I bought and planted myself.
Only this very weekend did I learn about Dr Huey and what it can do if it takes over. I have only ever encountered a pale white/pink bloom on rootstock that comes up as a sucker.
Oh well! Blah Blah Blah

Zep xx Smile
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 16th November 2014, 21:26

PS: Zoe and Neptune John: yes, it's true that Perth relies on imports, as do we here in Adelaide for some things, but W.A. is actually the largest exporter, of all the states, to the rest of Australia and overseas for their native varieties, Geraldton Wax being one of so many.
John, have you tried calling the good Dutch folk at Tesselaar in Silvan, Victoria? They will know, I'm sure of it, if and where you can obtain gypsophila seeds/plants and if in fact you are permitted to grow them. Either that, or try Everbloom Flower Wholesalers at Leederville; they seem to have gypsophila on their product list, and should be able to help with your enquiry. Smile

Zep x
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 16th November 2014, 21:45

Zep, Yates sell two types of gypsopphila in Bunning stores as seed packets, but the flowers are slightly bigger than the ones used in floral arrangements....they seem to be as small as little LED lights
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 16th November 2014, 22:08

Those would be Convent Garden or Monarch White, I'd say and yes, they aren't at all similar to the others.
Growers know best and they are usually friendly I find, do give one a call.
Zep x
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 17th November 2014, 00:41

Nice to have you back with us Zephirine
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 17th November 2014, 00:49

muscovyduckling wrote:PS. John, my mum seems to think the majority of Perth's cut flowers are imported from interstate or overseas (perhaps Zephie can enlighten us?), so perhaps cut flowers are easier to treat before being brought in, or something...

WA is such a delightful/irritating mystery, and the bio rules seem to be cloaked in a veil of secrecy.

A good friend of mine works for a holding come quarantine company next to the Perth International airport. He trucks to the airport all day every day, picking up all sorts of things, meat, fruit, vegetables etc. He told me by far and away flowers are the number one import at the airport. Flowers come in all through the day, 7 days a week.
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 17th November 2014, 06:22

I'm David, and this is me,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 17th November 2014, 07:23

John, I was planning on nipping up to Tesselaars today anyway, as they finally have the epimedium I've been waiting for. I will ask them for you about Convent Garden or Monarch White.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 17th November 2014, 07:29

And Zep, please feel free to 'steal my identity', hahahaha. I don't own the letter Z! Although somewhere in the back of my strange little brain I think I do, which is hilarious to me.

I do hope this is the worst kind of 'identity fraud' I'm ever faced with! Hahahahaha!!!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 17th November 2014, 08:50

muscovyduckling wrote:John, I was planning on nipping up to Tesselaars today anyway, as they finally have the epimedium I've been waiting for. I will ask them for you about Convent Garden or Monarch White.

Thanks for that Zoe........ but instead of the above two which I can get in Bunnings, can you ask about "Million Star" , please....... Roses
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 17th November 2014, 12:17

Will do Smile
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 17th November 2014, 12:40

How about we call you "ducky" as one members does Zoe.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 17th November 2014, 13:34

Nah,..... you'll drive her quackers!

Anyway, WELCOME ZEP!!! You are about to find out this is a mad forum!!! I have just bought some Gyp. seeds called Snowflake Baby's Breath - aka Gypsophilia paniculata cv. Is this the tiny one? Hope so. Want it for arrangements!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 17th November 2014, 15:52

Yep, you can call me Duckie! Quack quack Smile
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 17th November 2014, 16:05

I've been thinking about getting some ducks actually. I must be quackers.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 17th November 2014, 17:37

I am glad "sensibility" has gone to the dogs or madhouse now and again.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 17th November 2014, 23:29

paulh wrote:Nice to have you back with us Zephirine

Thank you PaulH, it's nice to be back! flower
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by Zephirine on 17th November 2014, 23:49

The Lazy Rosarian wrote:I'm David, and this is me,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hi David. *salutes*
Glad there are people out there like you to manage blogs and such and generally keep things in order.
And I'm glad there are the hippies like me to remind the strait-lacers to chill out every now and then.... Wink
Zephirine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum