cheers Bernhard

Bemo

Number of posts : 465
Registration date : 2009-01-31

http://rosebreeding.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: seedlings 2009

Post by Admin on 8th August 2009, 22:15

OOOOOOer... looks like it might want to climb!!! Nice! Is that still on its own roots or have you grafted it? Nice and healthy if its on its own roots Bernhard...

Admin

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2008-02-08

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 8th August 2009, 22:49

it's still on its own roots but maybe I should put it on an understock to have a safety copy. I have two Canina laxa available. Must tell you, that this will be my first grafting affraid Do you have a special recommendation ?

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 8th August 2009, 22:51

Bruce is the man to ask regarding grafting. I just do a simple T-graft. I would try to strike some cuttings of it though Bernhard. If it grows well on its own roots it probably strikes easily from cuttings too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 8th August 2009, 23:29

How old is this rose Bernhard, did your propagate it during your last Winter. If so it has grown enormously and it is a super looking rose and bush. If the Winter before lasr, well it is still a super rose !!!
I have some rose seelings growing now. I wasn't sure if they were or not, I thought there may have been some Spagnuen seeds that had shot instead. The one rose I have Hybrednized in my life already was around 6 years ago and I forgot what it look like when it started to grow ( lost it latter through moving and drouught ).
But there is a photo on here that you or Simon posted showing a rose seed sprouting, and also a photo I saw tonight of a Madame Hardy leaf that I could seed the similar leaf to mine when they were first sprouting, with the many teeth along the perimetre of the leaf. Mine have more leaves now and I will post a photo soon to make sure they diffenitely are rose seedlings. They were open pollinated. My hand pollinated seeds are still in the fridge. How excitting it will be when they hopefully sprout !

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 8th August 2009, 23:52

Bernhart and Simon, I have just checked my seeds in the fridge. They are in the bottom, but this time they were partly frozen, as the control on our fridge is broken. Will this stop them from germinating ? None of them have germinated yet, but should I take them out and plant them in my shade house ? or hot house ? as things outside are starting to grow now ?
I am sorry Bernhart, I should have posted this elsewhere on this forum.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 9th August 2009, 00:31

rosemeadow wrote:Bernhart and Simon, I have just checked my seeds in the fridge. They are in the bottom, but this time they were partly frozen, as the control on our fridge is broken. Will this stop them from germinating ? None of them have germinated yet, but should I take them out and plant them in my shade house ? or hot house ? as things outside are starting to grow now ?
I am sorry Bernhart, I should have posted this elsewhere on this forum.

Karen, feel free to post wherever you want Smile

2 your 1st Question: the seedling has germinated exactly on 20.03.2009

2 your issue: a little bit under the freezing point should not have damaged the seeds but it could happend that they went into a new dormance cycle. I would put it in a place in the fridge where you can exclude freezing. Try to do your stratification as planned. As I remember they can be max. 2 weeks in fridge?
I believe your current outsidetemps at night will fit for stratifying but not during the day.
Simon is more familiar with the conditions you have and can show possibly an other way ?

have a good Sunday
Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on 9th August 2009, 01:00

As Bernhard says a short freeze should be ok. I leave my seeds in the fridge for about 8 weeks (unless they start to germinate in the fridge) so if yours have been in the fridge for about this long, and they have been frozen, why not try some warm stratification to wake them up and reduce the chance of damaging your seeds. Just put them in something like peat in ziplock bags and bring them up to room temperature and leave them in the bags for a little while (they might start to germinate in the bag). Which ever way you go, bring them out of the thaw slowly as it is a rapid thaw that damages plant tissue.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 9th August 2009, 08:31

Thanks Bemo and Simon, thats great advice when I needed it. Only thing is, I left them to thaw out of the fridge, on a footrest out from the fire a bit. But it was so cold here last night compared to normal and we didn't have as much wood near the end of the night as usual, which is when I pulleed them out to look at them. Hopefully they will be alright and didn't
get plant tissue damage.
Next time I might try in the side of the door.
I will keep a keen eye on them !

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave on 12th August 2009, 06:47

Love your rose Bernhard. Congratulations! Will be interested on further updates.

Have you ever been to Sangerhausen? I've heard so much about the rose gardens there and would love to visit one day.

Dave

Number of posts : 336
Registration date : 2009-04-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 13th August 2009, 01:41

thanks Dave, hope your crosses will also appear well! As I am 'on the rose trip' only since 3 years Sangerhausen has not yet been visited. The rosary in Sangerhausen is much bigger than the one in 'Uetersen', which I have seen 2 years ago and spent the whole day there. To avoid the crowd on weekends, I will schedule the visit on working days and will stay longer than one day.

In about 2 years there will be time enough to do this, more free of fixed dates bounce

cheers
Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bemo on 15th December 2009, 05:30

I forgot to mention that St. Claus has brought the 1st (very early) buckled Seedling of the current batches.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

it germinated in the fridge Shivering

cheers Bernhard

Bemo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down