» New Years Rose grower
by Malnewby 10th September 2017, 19:21

» Two to identify please
by neptune 10th September 2017, 16:18

» Rose Cuttings.
by carmel 10th September 2017, 15:19

» Winter Roses
by neptune 30th August 2017, 09:38

What do with roses that just don't cut the mustard?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do with roses that just don't cut the mustard?

Post by brettv68 on 22nd July 2014, 06:47

I am sure we have all got roses that just are not cutting it, either under performing or you have run out of patience waiting for that good season or they just don't look a strong rose. What do you do with them? Give them away and hope someone else has more luck or bin them? The hardest part from my point of view is you don't know whether it is just a dud rose or there is something amiss with the setup. I usually check PH and change location looking for more or less sun etc but still no result then what?

Cheers
Brett
brettv68

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Re: What do with roses that just don't cut the mustard?

Post by SueH on 22nd July 2014, 12:23

Hi Brett, You are not alone! One of our forum members (either Jordan or Dannyboy) "presents" his unwanted ones to his mum!!! I believe she now has a lovely rose garden! LOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy roses on 22nd July 2014, 13:11

I have one that was doing fantastic, but I did move it a couple of times, and after that it sadly went downhill and has never really recovered. And that was over 2 years ago. I have tried everything to make it happy. It's neighbours are doing fine, so it's not the soil. It may be having a meeting with a shovel soon, as I am at my wits end with what to with it.
Happy roses

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 22nd July 2014, 16:32

HR the golden rule is if a rose is doing well in a particular spot leave it be.

All my roses that don't perform on the show bench are moved to a garden at the school where we hold our regional rose society meetings. Over the years the school has developed quite a good rose garden as two other society members also donate their non performing show roses to the school.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 23rd July 2014, 18:41

I pot them. That soon sorts out whether it was a problem with location or if it is "just them"....
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by brettv68 on 25th July 2014, 09:34

AutumnDamask wrote:I pot them. That soon sorts out whether it was a problem with location or if it is "just them"....

And when they are a potted rose that isn't performing it doesn't leave many options does it? We can change the soil, change position etc but if you have other roses in similar conditions it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to keep them.
brettv68

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 25th July 2014, 19:32

I've had trouble putting bare-rooted roses into some areas of my garden - they don't do well until I pot them up. I then give them 12 months and then replant them in the garden. That is usually sufficient. I suspect some just find it hard to establish feeder roots when the pH is about 4.5-5 / weeds / etc...
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 26th July 2014, 17:32

Do you ever top dress with dolomite or another garden lime, or add it to the planting hole? I've just used some for the first time this week, I planted some peonies and lilacs that prefer an alkaline soil. I have my fingers crossed. I wonder if that would help your baby roses?
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 26th July 2014, 17:33

Or you could just start a blueberry farm... Haha.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 26th July 2014, 19:07

I have... (with lime) not convinced it made much difference. My worry about pH is possibly misplaced. Smile Especially since the lilacs seem to grow... (flowering in autumn is a touch excessive but it's nice)
AutumnDamask

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 26th July 2014, 23:29

Hah! Well I shouldn't have bothered with the lime then, if your lilacs are doing well. The poor confused dears.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 27th July 2014, 00:15

Roses definitely perform better when the pH is appropriate for the particular rootstock. It should be remembered it takes a few months before the lime does its job and raises the pH.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 27th July 2014, 06:55

A bit I found,

How long does it take for lime to work?
Since water is required for lime to react with the soil, effects of a lime application will be slower in a dry soil. It often takes a year or more before a response can be measured even under perfect conditions. However, a response may be observed within weeks of the application when soil pH is extremely low. It is important to apply lime immediately after the growing season or crop removal to allow lime to react, correcting soil pH before the next growing season.
The reactivity time also depends on the type of lime used. Liming materials differ widely in their neutralizing powers due to variations in the percentage of calcium and/or magnesium. Usually, liming materials with a high calcium carbonate equivalent (CCE) tend to neutralize soil acidity faster than those with a low CCE. The coarseness of the liming material will also influence how fast the lime will react. In other words, the finer the liming material, the greater the surface area, resulting in faster reactivity.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5145
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 27th July 2014, 08:18

The claim is the liquid limes work quicker than the powders. Presently I am attempting to raise the pH of a bed of miniatures in a large upturned culvert pipe. I have used a combination of both liquid and powdered dolomite. I treated the pot six weeks ago and to date there has been no significant change of the pH.

Ausrose

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 27th July 2014, 09:50

Thanks for the info Doug. I haven't done any soil tests myself, I'm just sort of fumbling along. I know our soil is acidic because they hydrangeas around here have blue flowers, but that's as far as my technical knowledge extends!

Now, Jean has just called me and my roses are ready, so I'm off to pick them up! Sadly she didn't have a few that I wanted, but I'm getting Mrs. B R Cant instead to make up for it Smile
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum