by Malnewby 10th September 2017, 19:21

» Rose Cuttings.
by carmel 10th September 2017, 15:19

DA Roses

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DA Roses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th April 2014, 07:07

Hello everyone, I/we are about to place an order for some roses, the list is below, does anyone grow any of them, if so could you tell me how they have performed for you.

Thanks David & Carole

Abraham Darby, Benjamin Britten,Charlotte, Claire Rose, Fisherman's Friend, Jude The Obscure, Mary Rose, Munstead Wood, Pretty Jessica, The Endeavor, Young Lycidas
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5145
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: DA Roses

Post by maree on 5th April 2014, 09:31

Roseman , i had four standard Mary Rose's pulled them all out , pluses for me were , free flowering , nice colour ,  minuses were , no fragrance even though they say its fragrant , flowers blow quickly , prone to B/S and mildew , tended to exfoliate leaves quickly , thats just my experience though in our coastal climate ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th April 2014, 09:57

Thanks Maree, our inland climate might be an advantage.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud on 5th April 2014, 12:02

Hi Roseman - Given the difference in our climates don't know if my experience is beneficial.
I grow Benjamin Britten which has coped well with our climate and produces unusual brick-red, perfumed flowers that I have grown to love. A vigorous upright and thorny plant.
Jude the Obscure has been exactly that, obscure and despite the odd gorgeous flower has not thrived at all here.
Mary rose did reasonably well in Sydney and is hanging on - a cooler climate rose I would think.
The DA roses that have coped best of all are Heritage and Wife of Bath - tough as boots and gorgeous.
Hope that helps ...
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 5th April 2014, 12:33

I have only had Abraham Darby for less than a year so early days yet. I'm very happy with the way it's performed so far. Huge gorgeous blooms, not that many but quick to repeat and each flush produces more flowers. Healthy well balanced growth, no sign of BS or mildew.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 5th April 2014, 16:41

Young Lycidas - teh most incredible producer of new canes of any rose I've evr had. I think it threw ten or more in three months. Flower production was variable, and the blooms nod in in true DA fashion. The flowers are small so far, but with a lovely fragrance that's hard to pinpoint - the most intrguing scent of all my mauve/purples. I use the cut flowers for nosegay plonks in small vases, but the necks are too weak and the flowers too puny to pair with my other big boofy blooms. The leaves tend to curl, btw, and it is a thirsty little critter, too, so not for the waterwise. Maybe with some age , it will become more water-independent.

I cannot NOT recommend this rose, and it will be pampered for another season,but to be candid, I would not order it again
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 5th April 2014, 17:05

I have/had:
Fisherman's Friend, Jude The Obscure, Mary Rose

All have been in the toughest part of my garden. Contending with general neglect, Fuller's rose weevils, rabbits and native grass.
Fisherman's Friend and Jude are both hanging in there (would hardly say they are *decent* specimens though). They just need some TLC.
Mary Rose is one of the very few roses I have actually had die.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 6th April 2014, 00:32

We have a Pretty Jessica Roseman for about 12 months. It sits in a large ceramic pot, this is a rose that doesn't impress me at all. The wife chose it because it is the name of our granddaughter, hence she likes it. I have tried hard with this rose and all my comments are negitive. 1. It is a very slow grower, 2. It does not give up many blooms, when it does they do not hold well, 3. Very stringy for a compact plant, foliage is ok but nothing to rave about. Dave I'd save your money and spend it on another. Of course this is just my experience and opinion.
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curdle1 on 6th April 2014, 01:01

I have Munstead Wood, Charlotte and Pretty Jessica. They're all pretty new so not sure if this will help, but-

Charlotte I got as a bareroot from Treloars last season. Its smallish, but the flowers are large for its size. They do fade to a more pale lemon, and get smaller in the heat. Pale green leaves, a bit of blackspot, but not as bad as some others (was a good year for blackspot in the garden this year). Not a rampant grower either, but then, its only new.

Pretty Jessica is second year- she seems to want to stay small, and grows rather slowly, kinda narrow and very upright. Enormous flowers for her size, and smells lovely. No blackspot or mildew at all. Seems to like the warmer weather, although it may have been a bit too warm this year as she flowered non stop last year, but not as much this year.

Munstead Wood is the newest, bought it as a container plant about three months ago, and its still pretty small. The first few blooms were affected by the heat- small and and a bit muddled/not very nice looking, so I wondered what all the fuss was about, although bonus points cos they didn't fade to that nasty pinky fuschia colour like a lot of the purply roses- but the last one was picture perfect and really gorgeous.

curdle1

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th April 2014, 07:27

Thank you one and all with the replies about the DA roses. As everyone or just about everyone knows last Summer was "different" meaning very little water from the sky. So we enlisted "extra water" to our roses and wherever we could send it. A lot got flood irrigated to say the least, fed worm juice and other fertilizers(liquid), the best the DA's have ever been. Considering their breeding and the country they have come from I think this is the secret to growing good DAR, my opinion only.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 6th April 2014, 07:51

David I have all growing here beside Claire Austin as you would know. love Austin roses ,
I will agree with Paul re pretty Jessica she is a bit tight in flower production and slow grower but feeding it and a bit of extra water , and she seems to prefer a bit of shade will help.

young lycidas much of the same (tight on flower production ) but still lovely when it blooms

if I had to choose of out of this lot I would go Ab darby Smile

good luck
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th April 2014, 07:54

Thanks Dan, What Carole wants Carole gets, she wants the lot, it means I can have more "old" fashioned roses
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 6th April 2014, 07:56

well David , one is Carole I'm sure she would love is (jubilee celebration)

fantastic I should have mentioned it earlier

big blooms and good scent
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 6th April 2014, 08:52

Dan, what size are the blooms on your Young Lycidas? Mine are really boutonniere size,maybe 2.5" inchies in diameter,max.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 6th April 2014, 19:23

I forgot to mention Munstead Wood. Really lovely flowers, doesn't like intense heat much though, went AWOL in the height of summer but made up for it after the worst was over. Strong and healthy, no sign of BS or mildew. Well worth growing.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 7th April 2014, 19:16

betsyw wrote:Dan, what size are the blooms on your Young Lycidas? Mine are really boutonniere size,maybe 2.5" inchies in diameter,max.

Betsy, the blooms on mine this year were much larger then the previous I think the rose will get better as it gets older

Last edited by jordan71 on 8th April 2014, 07:09; edited 1 time in total
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 7th April 2014, 19:20

Good to know, Dan. Thank you. I give YL one more season. Its scent preserves it from the shovel. For now.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 9th April 2014, 08:58

I have just been looking at the three new David Austin roses. They are being officially launched at the Chelsea flower show in May.
I am so, so, so in love with "The Poet's Wife" a fantastic yellow rose.
Carole

Number of posts : 1034
Registration date : 2009-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 9th April 2014, 08:59

It is the first new yellow rose in 10 years.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 9th April 2014, 20:44

It does sound beautiful Carole !!
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 9th April 2014, 21:43

Mmm, Poet's Wife looks like a beauty. I'm assuming it won't be available in Australia for a while?
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th April 2014, 05:54

I have sent an email off to the licencing dept about this already.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by rosebud on 10th April 2014, 08:41

Aaah, I've just had a look at Poet's wife, Carole, and she is gorgeous!! If only I could grow DA's successfully here. No harm dreaming, I guess! Maybe I can dream my way to the Chelsea Flower Show too.....
rosebud

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2013-05-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Carole on 10th April 2014, 10:03

You are right rosebud, she is gorgeous  love 
If only I could find some one to smuggle one over here for me  lol! 
Carole

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th April 2014, 05:53

After looking at DAR site and another I have gleaned that "Heathcliff" [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
is under very earlier trial at Treloars for those that are interested in it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum