Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Help me choose some roses for my garden please!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Help me choose some roses for my garden please!

Post by neptune on 4th November 2013, 16:14

well I hope you enjoy your stay in my state when you come over on Friday...weather is nice at the moment....
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 4th November 2013, 16:30

Thanks Neptune, I'm originally from Perth too, but I've been here for 10 years. Heading down to Yallingup for a week for a friend's wedding, so fingers crossed we see some sun!
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 4th November 2013, 16:34

and surf......[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th November 2013, 19:03

As pointed out earlier the "CYBER Crooks" got my post at lunchtime, so what I am going to do is edit most of MD's post

muscovyduckling wrote:Alright folks, I've set a date aside to visit Reliable Roses on the 23rd November! It's a weekend date,Jean is lovely, take notes and a voice recorder but I'm going off to Perth on Friday for 10 days so I figure there's not a lot of point going down before then. In the mean time, how do I go about getting my soil tested?As to this question, use Mr/Mrs Google for 'Soil testing labs in Victoria, it is not cheap, you will be looking at plus $100.00 for it, depending on what you want from the analysis, one other option is to talk to your council/ neighbours and see what grows for them, that will give an indication of the soils pH. And also, how long does it take to prepare the soil before planting roses (I suppose this depends on the soil... But in general? . In general "start now", if you can dig the area over and incorporate any material that will decompose prior to planting , lets say June 2014 Will I be able to make it ready before the 2014 bare root roses come out?). YES, if you have time on your side. I've read somewhere that roses don't like to have fresh manure of fertiliser on their roots, so I was wondering how long before hand do I need to dig the holes and fertilise the area? The last sentence will be not used if you read the previous bits.

On a side note, I've been noticing a lot of roses doing very well in my neighbours yards whilst driving to/ from work, Go and introduce yourself and ask questions, neighbours that have been there longer or might have some knowledge will pass it on if they are worth their salt as to say. even in some relatively shaded areas, so I am feeling quite optimistic about this rose growing venture. I have been overly nervous about it because I know that if I have a go and don't get very good results it may well put me off growing roses for another 20 years, We all stumble, but we should all get back up and start again. which would be a shame. So I just want to get all the learning/research down pat, if that makes sense?

So I do apologise if I'm asking too many questions, it's just that I want to get it right first time round ( well, as much as possible, anyway), because I know that I don't have the time/ patience/ stamina to trial and error on my own for years and years! I bet you do once you become a "Roseaholic.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 4th November 2013, 19:12

All right! It's going to be a door knocking excision for me! Ooh I'm starting to get excited now Smile
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 5th November 2013, 09:06

Ok folks, on my drive to the shoos this morning I had a good look at all the roses I saw doing very well in the local gardens here. Now obviously I'm not a rose expert, but this is what I think they are:

Ballerina - growing over a south facing fence and absolutely covered in blooms.
Crepuscule - grown as a north facing hedge / fence in full sun and it's smothered in flowers on very established plants. And another one growing as a low climber up a west facing wall, also looking good ( although this is a very young plant by the looks of it).
Zephirine Drouhin - several youngish plants growing through a north facing fence, and tolerating a little bit of shade. Looks pretty incredible at present.
Buff Beauty (or it could be Crepuscule, I'm not sure, but I think it's Buff Beauty because the flowers are bigger and not bourne in clusters) - growing as a big semi-weeping standard in a south facing garden in moderate shade and still doing very well ( although not totally covered in blooms).
Iceberg - grown as standards along an easterly fence, and doing quite well except for the two at the far end which get a lot of shade, they are smaller than the others and not flowering much.

Assuming I'm right ( which I love to do! Hahahaha) does this tell you guys anything about either the soil up here, or which species/varieties would do well?
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th November 2013, 12:29

Yes, the people in your area know thier roses or could be on the older side and grow proven roses
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 5th November 2013, 18:28

Ask Jean ...... Reliable Roses ...... you don't have to buy, but I bet you will! Innocent LOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 5th November 2013, 18:44

Sue, don't be a temptress
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 6th November 2013, 11:59

Haha you two! You know very well I will buy - the only question is how many!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th November 2013, 12:21

No MD, what should be your reply
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 6th November 2013, 15:21

You're right! I'm sure it will be a surprise for all of us. I sent Jean an email today just as a courtesy - I let her know that I can come down on 23rd Nov but I was I bit worried about just showing up and monopolising her time on a Saturday since I'm such a novice! I thought perhaps she might prefer to talk to me on the phone or via email at a convenient time for her, to narrow down a few selections which I could then see in person, rather than holding my hand for half a day on the weekend when she has other customers to help!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th November 2013, 17:50

You have the lady wrong MD, IMO, she will give of her knowledge freely. Jean might talk you into the older varieties as they are proven performers, just explain your place and go from there. Basicly that you are working with a blank canvas, I would go as far as to take a "mud map" with sunrise and set direction in relation to it, length of time the sun is on the particular area. Ask about the soils and mention what is growing in your garden now and if it is where the roses are growing.
The other point I would bring up is your idea of "no Man's Land" and see what her thoughts are.
Finally take a voice recorder or someone that can do short hand.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 6th November 2013, 18:15

Thanks Roseman Smile I've been watching these spots for about a year now so that I know how much/ when they get sun, and I've taken some pics of the sites and my garden in general on my phone that I can show her. I don't have a voice recorder but I will take my notebook and do it the old-school way! I am more than happy to be talked into the older varieties Smile I like old fashioned things so much that my friends call me 'Grandma' (I'm 28 years old, hahaha). Perhaps it's because I studied history at Uni, or perhaps I'm just a dork. lol. I also want to take her a list of 'must haves' and a list of 'nice to haves' for my rose choices; this is what I've got so far:

MUST HAVE:
Fragrance
Lots of flowers
Disease resistance ( I will not spray my plants, even with natural stuff, because I won't get around to it)
Must be forgiving (newbie gardener here!)
Must grow in thier part shade/ hot arvo sun conditions

NICE TO HAVE
Pale or pastel blooms
Repeat flowering
Autumn hips
Fast growing

Have I forgotten anything really obvious from that list?
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 6th November 2013, 18:21

I personally would print your last post out and take it to Jean
You will have a PM in the top of your screen next to your username.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 6th November 2013, 21:22

Lucky you told me I had a PM from you Roseman, I'm viewing the forum on my iPad, so it's automatically set to the Mobile layout... I couldn't see any PMs, and I also couldn't see all your lovely profile pics!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum