» Hybrid Tea seeds
by The Lazy Rosarian 22nd May 2017, 19:11

» info on rose
by neptune 19th May 2017, 00:00

» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Help me choose some roses for my garden please!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help me choose some roses for my garden please!

Post by muscovyduckling on 29th October 2013, 18:13

Hi folks,

I want to start by saying that I am a gardening virgin, and I've never grown roses (or anything other than herbs and spring bulbs) in my life. But I want to take the plunge, and I'm looking for some recommendations from the experts.

I'm on a half acre block at the foot of the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne. The soil is clay, and I'm surrounded by eucalypts that overshadow our garden in a lot of areas.

There are a few spots around my garden that I'd like to try growing some roses. The first (and I suspect the most difficult) is on the east side of my house, where I have a 40,000 litre water tank (about 1.5 metres high and 4 metres across) right outside the kitchen window that I would love to cover with a climber. This spot is overshadowed by gums and really receives only filtered light in the morning (it's still quite bright but it's not direct sunshine) and is shaded by the house in the afternoon. Is there any rose that would happily live there?

Another spot is the west side of my house, which receives no morning sun but gets hot direct sun in the afternoon. I'd like something to grow up some lattice on the side of my deck, and over our little carport.

And finally, I'm putting in an approx. 20 metre wide fence across the back yard - east to west. The edges are shaded in the morning and afternoon but the middle section would be in full sun most of the day. I think I'd like some sort of bushy shrub variety for this little venture, so as to form a sort of hedge along the fence line.

I'm open to any suggestions, but I prefer very pale flowers in pink, cream, apricot and yellow, and for some reason I'm sort of drawn to the old roses (perhaps I'm just an antique snob?). Having said that, I think Pierre de Ronsard is the prettiest rose I've ever seen, with Sally Holmes a close second! Also I want varieties that will be absolutely covered in blooms for a much of the season as possible.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and sorry in advance for all the novice questions that I will no doubt respond with!
muscovyduckling

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2013-10-29

Back to top Go down

Re: Help me choose some roses for my garden please!

Post by Ausrose on 29th October 2013, 18:29

A rose I would suggest is Elina. It grows like weed and is covered with large cream flowers.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 29th October 2013, 18:30

Thanks Ausrose, Elina looks pretty. Do you know how she goes in the shade though?
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th October 2013, 18:32

Muscovyduckling, we all are novices in one way or the other here. From my perspective lets start with the first question, the tank, what colour is it and what colour do you want in a rose, Question 
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5119
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 29th October 2013, 18:34

Ok .....lets start by welcoming you to our friendly forum........

Next ....to cover the water tank.....try the quick growing "Trumpeter Vine".....pure mass of yellow flowers.......

Now to grow anything worth while...you need your soil sorted out....my suggestion would be to take a soil sample from each of your garden beds and go and get them analyse. With that result you can start working up your soil to where you want/need it
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th October 2013, 18:36

I think we might shorten your username if that is ok to MD/md, but back to the subject for now, have a look at this link about 'Elina'
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th October 2013, 18:50

If you google roses for shade ,they will give you a good list of suitable roses , you certainly have a tricky aspect with the eucalypts , the soil though can certainly be worked on , as we are on clay soil here ,and with some gypsum , compost , cow manure and the shovel you can turn it around , just takes time . Just be careful of your soil ph and check it regularly as Neptune says , some bought composts are very alkaline ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 29th October 2013, 18:52

Haha, yes please do - muscovyduckling is not an overly user-friendly name!

Now where would I go to get my soil analysed? And also, when I'm ready to put some roses in the ground, where should I get them from? There are lots of online rose places but from what I can tell they will only send out bare root roses during the winter months? Is that right? Otherwise there is a place called Newstead Roses up the road in Monbulk or Silvan where I could pick up a couple of potted roses. But for my giant hedge I think I should really wait until winter and order a whole lot of bare rooted roses.

So, my water tank is sort of a mid sage green colour. And the top is currently covered in dropped gum leaves. Which is fine. But flowers look and smell better.

As I say, I prefer light coloured flowers because a lot of my block is quite dark. The trees that thrive here are camellias, azaleas and English box, so I have a lot of dark foliage around the place which would benefit from a bit of contrast. Pale pinks, yellows and peach colours are my faves. Nothing bright though. I'm still a bit of a conservative kid that way.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 29th October 2013, 18:56

Oh, I should say regarding compost - for my veges I usually get some horse poo from the neighbours and mix it with some cow poo from the Big Green B shop. With a bit of Seasol on top. I would love to keep some chooks and add their poo to the mix, but I need to build my giant fence first, otherwise my greyhound will get fat on chicken dinners. I suppose it's a whole different ball game with roses though.
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th October 2013, 19:02

MD, check this link out when you have time for nurseries,
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 29th October 2013, 19:33

Hi MD. Smile
I have relatives living in the Dandenongs (it's different to up here!) and have purchased roses from Newstead Roses. I recommend going and talking to them about site preparation and suitable roses as they are in your area. They'll give you more relevant local advice than we can. Smile
The other nursery to visit near you would be Reliable Roses. Jean is very knowledgeable - especially in the older varieties of roses.

Now is a fantastic time to go and and visit these places as you will see everything out in bloom. Then you can prepare for the winter buying season. Wink
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 29th October 2013, 19:46

There's also Silkie Roses at Clonbinane , don't know if thats anywhere near you MD , but they have a extensive range and are very knowledgable ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 30th October 2013, 06:04

"The other nursery to visit near you would be Reliable Roses. Jean is very knowledgeable - especially in the older varieties of roses." I second Autumns choice Thumbsup 
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 30th October 2013, 06:06

This tells us a bit about your soils, The trees that thrive here are camellias, azaleas
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 30th October 2013, 18:07

How do you guys think MD would go with Noisettes for some areas of her garden where climbers are required? Mine have always tolerated some shade. They come in MD's preferred pale colours, are one of the loveliest and toughest of the antiques, and fragrant, too.

And hello to you, MD, and welcome to The Happiest Kingdom. Well, okay, not always so happy, but a great kingdom in which to rose-moan, too.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 30th October 2013, 18:33

Hi MD. Yep, I too, can recommend Reliable Roses.  Jean is a sweetie and very knowledgeable. AutumnDamask is right, go and look see!! LOL

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 30th October 2013, 19:39

Thanks again folks! I will definitely head on up to Reliable Roses in the very near future. The website says they're only open on weekends though, and as I work a (rather irritating) rotational roster I won't have any weekends off for a month or so. Everything happens slowly with me. I'm ok with it, lol.

I do really love some if those Noisette roses.. So many flowers! There's one called (I think) Blush Noisette which is lovely. I really like the type where you can see the stamens - I think they are called 'singles'.

I am showing my naïveté, I know..
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 30th October 2013, 21:14

Ring Jean at Reliable and tell her your story she might open just for you during the week if you ask nicely
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 30th October 2013, 21:57

Haha Roseman, perhaps she would! I really would feel like a fool asking her to open up just for me though!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 30th October 2013, 22:04

Nah...don't feel like a fool...feel honored that she is willing to open up for you.......

Do you have name we can call you.....I feel like I am talking to someone who is ready for the dinner table.......[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 30th October 2013, 22:31

Lol, Neptune , soo funny , between you and Betsy can always get a laugh here !!
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 31st October 2013, 05:52

muscovyduckling wrote:Haha Roseman, perhaps she would! I really would feel like a fool asking her to open up just for me though!
MD, if you don't ask you will never know.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 4th November 2013, 12:11

Alright folks, I've set a date aside to visit Reliable Roses on the 23rd November! It's a weekend date, but I'm going off to Perth on Friday for 10 days so I figure there's not a lot of point going down before then. In the mean time, how do I go about getting my soil tested? And also, how long does it take to prepare the soil beforer planting roses (I suppose this depends on the soil... But in general? Will I be able to make it ready before the 2014 bare root roses come out?). I've read somewhere that roses don't like to have fresh manure of fertiliser on their roots, so I was wondering how long before hand do I need to dig the holes and fertilise the area?

On a side note, I've been noticing a lot of roses doing very well in my neighbours yards whilst driving to/ from work, even in some relatively shaded areas, so I am feeling quite optimistic about this rose growing venture. I have been overly nervous about it because I know that if I have a go and don't get very good results it may well put me off growing roses for another 20 years, which would be a shame. So I just want to get all the learning/research down pat, if that makes sense?

So I do apologise if I'm asking too many questions, it's just that I want to get it right first time round ( well, as much as possible, anyway), because I know that I don't have the time/ patience/ stamina to trial and error on my own for years and years!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th November 2013, 12:32

I just posted a reply MD and CYBER space got it, will redo this afternoon after work
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by muscovyduckling on 4th November 2013, 13:39

Haha darn interwebs!
muscovyduckling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum