» Hi, I am new here :)
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:09

» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

Beneficial Insects on Roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Beneficial Insects on Roses

Post by dennisd on 22nd September 2013, 09:45

I checked my roses this morning and noticed no aphids but heaps of other insects busy on the plants. Can we please start a topic on this thread? Do any members have knowledge of insects to encourage?
Dennis

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Beneficial Insects on Roses

Post by neptune on 22nd September 2013, 10:01

dennisd wrote:. Can we please start a topic on this thread? Do any members have knowledge of insects to encourage?
Dennis
You just did, Dennis....go for it....
neptune

Number of posts : 2408
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 22nd September 2013, 11:23

I've seen about 12,000 aphids here in five years, and only two ladybugs . I've somehow insulted the pretty aphid-eating machines. That, or inadvertently killed them. Watched this video yesterday. Now I know what NOT to remove or kill , including ugly duckling LB larva

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd on 22nd September 2013, 11:48

Just watched this video, thanks so much. Saw these little critters all over my roses this morning, didn't know what they were. Now I know!!!!!
Great!!!!
Dennis

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 22nd September 2013, 11:52

Thanks for that link Betsyw, just watched it and like you, I now know what NOT to remove!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 23rd September 2013, 18:16

I have been using Beneficial Insects in my garden for years. My Stingless Native Bees are busy doing their Pollinating bit at the moment. It is such fun to watch them.
In my garden I use the following:

Green lacewing, Mallada signata -General predator
•Aphids (various species)
•Twospotted mite Tetranychus urticae
•Greenhouse whitefly Trialeurodes vaporariorum
•Scales (various species)
•Mealybugs (various species)
•Moth eggs and small caterpillars

Cryptolaemus, (Ladybird/Beetle)
Cryptolaemus montrouzieri -Mealybug predator
•Mealybugs
•Pulvinaria scales
•Cottony cushion scale
•Soft scales

Chilocorus, (Ladybird/Beetle)
Red Chilocorus Chilocorus circumdatus,
Blue Chilocorus Chilocorus baileyi -Scale predators
•Red scale Aonidiella aurantii
•Oriental scale Aonidiella orientalis
•Oleander scale Aspidiotus nerii
•White louse scale (citrus snow scale) Unaspis citri

Montdorensis, Typhlodromips montdorensis -
Thrips predator
•Onion thrips Thrips tabaci
•Plague thrips Thrips imaginis
•Tomato thrips Frankliniella schultzei
•Western flower thrips Frankliniella occidentalis
•Melon thrips Thrips palmi
•Greenhouse whitefly Trialeurodes vaporariorum
•Silverleaf whitefly Bemisia tabaci

As you can see I do use  4 different Beneficial Insects and these help to keep my garden nice and clean as well as giving the birds and other insects a source of feed. A really good system we have going here. I like to release 4 lots in around 4 weekly intervals starting at the beginning of the Season.

Remember that the Insects need a source of water, so do leave some about. Also they like to have somewhere to live so if you don't have plenty of flowers & grasses etc. you may need to plant some. They also like some leaf litter left around so don't be too tidy.
I hope this helps & I do have a couple of names where you can get them from, if you can't find them in your area.
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 23rd September 2013, 18:24

Note to dog owners in paralysis tick areas: do NOT leave leaf litter around. Ixodes holocyclus loves the stuff, and that is one damn non-beneficial insect to anyone or anything.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 23rd September 2013, 18:33

I am so sorry Betsy I do not have the 4 legged kind of animals so I was very ignorant to that fact. Please accept my apologies for this oversight. Please everyone check these things out to make sure you are doing the right thing for your other animals. I do also leave some leaf litter for all the Blue Tonged Lizards, if you have them you won't have snails.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 23rd September 2013, 20:06

Dimity, is Ellen Grove near or in the Ipswich vicinty? If so, you are in prime paralysis tick country.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Any animals, especially native animals, can carry ticks at various stages of their moulting lives, around to other local areas. Infestation results, and while you have no four-legged domestic animals, your property may be a breeding ground.

I urge you to reconsider the leaf litter accumulation.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 23rd September 2013, 21:13

You can buy beneficial insects from the Eco company , i think the main thing is too completely ban sprays from your garden and that includes organic ones too , introduce these insects and let them do the work , not as convienient and not as quick , but worth the effort . I have found that Lady bugs love corn stalks and shasta daisys ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 23rd September 2013, 22:51

Well for me here in Perth living a few hundred metres from the beach, I have a unit with a small boutique garden. I hardly ever see ladybirds or any other insects that are beneficial, I do get a few bees but not many. However as for those other nasty little critters, I get my fair share. So for me I control these with Wettable Sulphur and Malathon all mixed with Spreadmax. So for me, this works well, as I said I hardly get anything beneficial in my yard, so the chemicals aren't causing any major problems to the good guys.
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 23rd September 2013, 23:12

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 24th September 2013, 02:28

I am sorry Betsy you have truly upset my nights sleep. I am not some Hippy out of the 70's living in suburbia, actually I am an X Surfie Chic living with her X Surfie Husband out of the 70's living in Suburbia. If you go onto Goggle Earth live you will see I have a very neat & tidy yard. We had quite a wind storm here over the past few days and stupid me has just paid someone $250 to rake up & clean up anywhere there were leaves. I have a tiny area beside my hot water system where I leave a little leaf litter for the Blue Tongue Lizards. Then there are leaves that fall in the garden from Shrubs & Trees. It is under those that it is my hope that the Beneficial Insects will live etc. I try to be a caring person for our environment & that is WHY I use Beneficial Insect & try not to use sprays. And if I ever do I use Certified Organic only. The is the last thread I will make relating to Betsy Thread as I find it is an attack on me and I don't understand why. All I did was try to answer a Topic with a helpful answer.
I feel also that it is the Responsibility of all pet owners to KEEP their animals in their own yards to avoid these problems with Ticks etc.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 24th September 2013, 06:17

I'm like Dianne - no use of sprays etc here either. (Organic or otherwise).
We do have a large garden and so there is room for sections of "food" plants as well as the roses. Although, perhaps I shouldn't disregard the roses so much as food because the little birds see my roses are prime hunting ground!
The insects are sometimes harder to see but I do know we have ladybirds, preying mantis and a species of parasitic wasp.
(I do wish they worked harder to grab those blasted fuller's rose weevils tho. Razz )
At ground level we have a lot of skinks - at least 2 species.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 25th September 2013, 18:41

Autumn , i've never had a problem with the birds eating the roses , " so far" , i had never even thought about that , little devils arn't they .  Dimity i don't have a dog either , have a cat with three bells on her collar, but what annoys me is neighbours cats who come into my garden and hide in the bushes , looking for birds and they don't have a collar either ....Paul the photos of your little garden you have posted look lovely from memory , my garden isn't big enough for me , how i long for room to have more roses and some chooks .... Ooops have i gone OFF TOPIC , sorry Roseman / Neptune ...
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 25th September 2013, 18:46

Maree - the birds eat the bad insects on the roses, not the roses themselves. Smile No cats, only dogs here.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 25th September 2013, 18:52

Oh , Autumn now i get you lol Duh 
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 25th September 2013, 22:17

Rose eating birds!! Sorry Maree, just had to laugh at the image!
On my daily inspection of the roses for aphids, I've discovered ladybirds and small praying mantis so I leave just a few aphids for them. Quite a few small spiders which I leave so they can eat some aphids too. Lots of small native bees around and this season so many butterflies. I notice they like the forget-me-nots and chamomile in the grass. A balanced ecosystem is what I'm after so lots of different plants to support insects and birds. Sprays are a no-no here, even if that means I have to sacrifice some quality in flowers and foliage. I never use snail bait because of the dogs. Just glad I'm not in a tick area! As a dog lover, I can understand Betsy's concerns but acknowledge Dianne's perspective too as a committed gardener working with, rather than against, the environment. There's room for both points of view.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 26th September 2013, 22:01

I too have noticed so many more butterflies around this year. Far more than I have ever seen before. I must admit though I have probably gone overboard with the planting of the B & B for my Beneficial Insects. I only hope when I go on holidays I get as pampered. My husband does say though, 'You know what you get when you get so many Butterflies'. I just tell him the pruning will get done & the birds will get what is left over.
Happy Gardening.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 26th September 2013, 22:50

Dianne can you tell me what "B&B" stand for, please.

Also this affects everyone......can you reduce the amount of abbreviations you use as the search engine does not decipher abbreviations. You can use the abbrev in the same post as the original word as it is easy to find what it means.....
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 26th September 2013, 22:58

B&B is Bed & Breakfast.......Sorry but I don't normally use abbreviations as that is a pet hate of mine....

Cheers....
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 26th September 2013, 22:59

Dimity Cottage wrote:B&B is Bed & Breakfast.......Sorry but I don't normally use abbreviations as that is a pet hate of mine....

Cheers....
Thank you.....Thumbsup 
neptune

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 28th September 2013, 21:48

Dimity and Silky your garden philosyphy is just like mine , lots of varied species of plants , natives for the birds , vegies for the humans , pollen for the bees , absolutely no spraying of pests , organic fertilizers only and of course the most important , roses for me cause i love em ......
maree

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 29th September 2013, 12:26

My Insects are really feasting today, I have seen Ladybirds, Lacewings, Native Bees, Hoverflies and a host of other good guys. Not too many badies but a few Aphids that the goodies will take care of quickly. I can't believe how many Butterflies are still about the garden.
Isn't Spring Wonderful..   
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum