» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

» When should I pot up my cuttings?
by neptune 14th May 2017, 23:14

Breeding Roses

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Breeding Roses

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st September 2013, 15:22

For those that might like to dabble in the breeding of them(roses) or have look at what can go into it this thread has been created. No questions are trivial, so do not hesitate to ask.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5109
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Breeding Roses

Post by dennisd on 21st September 2013, 16:58

There may by luck still be a couple of hips on an odd rose in the OPH gardens I will keep my eye out. Particularly in Rex Hazlewood Garden we keep hips on for their show. That may be my lucky break?
Dennis

dennisd

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st September 2013, 18:36

Please keep us informed Dennis and what they might be please
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd on 21st September 2013, 19:51

I will be at work on Monday and will go in search of hips. Can't believe it we have just pruned off so many. Thousands and thousands.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd September 2013, 09:00

I have bred a miniature from 'CHEWfragbabe' Pollen and 'Roundelay' seed. 'CHEWfragbabe has one miniature parent (Baby Love). All others in my miniatures pedigree are standard size.

Are you all starting to get the feeling breeding roses can be fun.

Dennis you should have a few rose breeding visitors in a month or two so save up a few questions for us
In the meantime start to check the number of descendants of roses by looking on Help me Find. Bear in mind some roses like 'Floradora' have a lot of descendants because they have been around longer and are good seed and pollen parents. A lot of breeders like to breed from roses that have a species recent in their pedigree like 'Floradora'.
That's a bit of homework from me until we meet.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd on 22nd September 2013, 09:41

Absolutely wonderful, can't wait for your visit and I will tell some of the volunteers about your visit as well. I am sure they would love to meet you.
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 22nd September 2013, 11:44

To check the number of descendants of roses by looking on Help me Find

the numbers of offspring will not tell you anything , look at the first generation crosses on both sides of each parent if possible, it will tell you everything you want to know.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 22nd September 2013, 14:33

Dennis, it might be a good time to look at HMF-Roses and maybe join for $24.00 premium member, I have just renewed mine, it gives you more search options.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 22nd September 2013, 16:54

Having looked at the descendants you may find some good healthy roses amongst them.  See which parent has been used as a seed parent because it's no use pollinating blooms that won't produce hips. 'Elina' is a fantastic rose
but mine doesn't make hips.  So would suggest you make a note of all the roses you like that made hips last season. Open them up as some have almost no seeds.

Now look at the pedigree starting with the parents of the roses you wish to breed from.  I go all the way back to the beginning basically to the start. You can look up a breeder like Dawson who used 'Daily Sketch'  as a seed parent to produce a lot of his roses.  McGredy in NZ seems to be able to pick roses out of the air that produce some great roses.
He is I think a three generation rose breeder. He doesn't seem to have a system but obviously knows roses so well.

I have a rose called 'Souvenir de Wootton' both in bush and Clg form which is just about the first HT being a cross from a Hybrid Perpetual and a Tea rose, very interesting to look at it's information.

I have listed a few things for you to have a look at but realise it is only a small part to get you going.  I'm just trying to keep it simple for you and others have to start somewhere.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 22nd September 2013, 16:57

Ozroz wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is what you call the default code in rose breeding ( single and Pink). The offpring of a grandiflora and a 1830 Noisette, the other seedlings achieved what I was after ( Noisette bloom form and the formation of a stronger thicker canes, making them look more modern.) This bloom is huge for a single, 4.5" and has a perfume of Plum Blossom. Because of its genetics and perfume type this seedling will be kept for future breeding lines, it has the double bloom gene inside so offspring bloom structure should not be a problem.
Warren, any chance of putting it's parentage up please
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 22nd September 2013, 17:55

It seems we are back on track.......Smile 
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd on 23rd September 2013, 17:52

Well did find hips today as follows: Shot Silk Climber, Hybrid Tea Climbing Rose, Knight 1931: Countess of Stradbroke Hybrid Tea Rose, Alister Clark 1928; Kazanlik, Ancient Damasc Rose.

Do you think any of these will be any good for starters. Also there are plenty of hips left for when you all come to visit. They are well hidden now by spring growth.
I had an excellent day sprayed 400 litres of worm liquid on roses today which will give them a huge boost for spring. No aphids and only one leaf with black spot which I pulled off and binned. The roses are looking so healthy at the moment. Everyone is commenting about how good they are looking. Heaps of them are in flower now with lots of others in bud. I noticed Fred Hollows Vision flowering today.

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by dennisd on 23rd September 2013, 17:58

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Floriade 2013 Canberra 23 9 13
Dennis

dennisd

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum