Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Possums

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Possums

Post by jordan71 on 2nd September 2013, 17:41

hi guys,

unfortunately I have couple of possums in my garden, they are destroying all the new shoots on all my roses , any idea or anything I can use or buy to keep em away ? I know there is sprays out there that I could try but is there any remedies or ideas I could try ? any help would be appreciated

thanks

Dan
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Possums

Post by SueH on 2nd September 2013, 17:52

Hi Jordan71. I've heard of a spray called "Poss Off", that's supposed to work well. I personally haven't tried it!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 18:10

Oh my goodness, night before last a possum came and ate 2 of my beautiful newly formed Pale Pink Rugosas, yesterday there was another beautiful Pink one out, I thought no way could it reach that one but this morning low & behold it eat the petals it could reach. Naughty little thing.  
I have tried Poss Off but I have now got too many roses to spray them all. Now I don't know if I could bring myself to do it but a friend has put those rows of clear spikes that you can buy at Bunnings (Designed to stop pigeons nesting in the chimmnys)on her fences & it has stopped them eating his roses. They are clear so you don't really see them.
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 2nd September 2013, 18:53

maybe that's what I got to do , thanks dimity cottage
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 2nd September 2013, 18:54

SueH wrote:Hi Jordan71. I've heard of a spray called "Poss Off", that's supposed to work well.  I personally haven't tried it!
thanks sue, have to see cause I will be going through heaps as I have 300+ roses
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 2nd September 2013, 20:05

Jordan I can feel your pain through the screen. Crying or Very sad 
I have lots of possums here and they discovered my new Graham Thomas rose last season. I know the frustration believe me. I think they targeted this one because they can reach it from the fence. They didn't touch any others thank goodness. Someone here on the forum suggested using black pepper and it works! Sprinkle freely on the shoots. You need to reapply after rain though. Don't know what you can do with so many though. It seems once they discover the taste they come back again and again. Good luck in getting a good result.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd September 2013, 00:14

why are possums protected? Please remind me. They are pests.
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 3rd September 2013, 06:29

betsyw wrote:why are possums protected? Please remind me. They are pests.

• They are native animals
  • There are many species - can't lump them all in one generalised basket as not all will do garden damage
  • Some species of possum were nearly wiped out with European settlement - so they were protected
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd September 2013, 09:14

Please don't take me for a possum killer. I have hand-fed possums that came to my window sill in Sydney's urban Elizabeth Bay. I do not subscribe to the killing of any wild animal.

But still, protection? The possum population seems to have exploded here. I have the truckload of droppings and the rampaging screaming maters in the roof. Not to mention the equally ballooning population of fruit bats...
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 3rd September 2013, 13:04

I can empathise with you betsyw. One of my neighbours has one in a tree in her garden. Her dog goes mad at it when she is not there! Drives the neighbourhood wild! I love dogs and this dog is lovely - a bit neurotic - but lovely! The neighbour rang the "authorities" and was told they are protected and she couldn't do anything as they are nesting.
However, she has been in contact someone who will remove and resettle the "varmit", but only after breeding is over.

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd September 2013, 13:10

Betsy, I suppose some species have the happy knack of being able to adapt to urban living, and actually thrive in a largely man-made environment. Possums and flying foxes have that ability. It might drive us mad and create havoc in our gardens but I sort of feel a grudging admiration for them. They turn limitations into possibilities! I actually like watching them in the trees. Mind you, I'm not so forgiving when it's my roses they're nibbling on!
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 3rd September 2013, 17:25

I liked my city possums a lot. They were adorable, especially when they came for an apple handout with new babies clutching at their fur, huge-eyed and shy.

These country possums are appalling. They scream and fight and poop all over the place. The long bluestone path to the kitchen is covered in muck, and the windows are similarly trashed every night. Maybe I should do a catch-and-release - catch 'em in Cooranbong, release 'em in Double Bay.

(Just so you don't think I'm Cruella deVille, I have rescued a few orphans and turned them over to WIRES.)
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 3rd September 2013, 19:58

I would NEVER take you for Cruella Betsy!  
Gee your possums sound like they would try my patience too.
silkyfizz

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 4th September 2013, 07:37

I like watching them too .. just frustrating to see my roses destroyed grrrrrrrrr
jordan71

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum