Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Welcome

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welcome

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 2nd September 2013, 06:11

Dimity Cottage, lovely username, would Dimity be your Christian name ? How about sitting down for a bit and telling usa bit about yourself and life's adventures in your gardening world.
So for a start a very warm welcome from me roseman(David) and we look forward to your posting and sharing your knowledge if that is ok.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Welcome

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 11:07

Thanks for the welcome David.
 My name is Dianne & our little house, where I live with my husband (who is a keen golfer) & over 5,000 Native Stingless Bees, is called 'Dimity Cottage', dimity meaning small. We have a normal size housing block.
 My garden is actually bigger than our house. Having turned every available inch into various different kinds of gardens.
Now there is a Kitchen Herb Garden, Vegetable Garden, Tropical Retreat, Azalea Quiet Spot, Rose Garden, Various Perennial Cottage Gardens & Berry Patch. Each area is not huge but enough for me to handle, except when I have to prune over 250 Roses.
 I grow a lot of Old Fashioned Roses, as I love the scent & the shape of the flowers. I also grow a lot of David Austin's as they don't seem to mind growing in my Perennial Beds. Salvias is another passion of mine for which I have many & Hardy Geraniums & Geums as well as Auriculas top my lists. And of course having a Cottage Garden I grow many Perennials.
 I am very interested in the history of Roses, how they came to be, the grower & how they got their names. If I find a book I can't wait to get my hands on it.
 I am a Horticulturist with too many years of experience in the Nursery Industry - When Garden Nurseries were just that & the staff had the time, patience & expertise to help the customer. When gardens were that, not just paving, rubble & a few plants thrown in between. We are sadly loosing the Old Way of gardening.
 I taught at TAFE for many years, mainly Birdscaping, Garden Design, Companion Planting & Organic Gardening. My garden is now a learning garden where children are most welcome & most plants are tagged so as they can remember them if they like them.
 Well that is probably enough about myself for the moment. I am now long retired & just happy to enjoy my garden & our beautiful world around us.
Dimity Cottage

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2013-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 2nd September 2013, 11:32

A very warm welcome to you Dianne. What a wonderfully knowledgeable person you are and a great asset to this forum!! Wish I lived near you so I could come and see your garden, sounds exciting. I also see you grow Auriculas. I'm surprised they grow where you are. I always thought they were a cool climate plant! You live and learn on this forum!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 2nd September 2013, 11:37

Hi Dianne

There can never be enough people growing heritage roses in Queensland.

Gary
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 11:48

Hi Sue, I grow my Auriculas at the edge of my front path, there are overhanging plants and I grow under these.
Along the edge I had gaps in the pavers where odd size pavers had never been cut. I filled the holes with a mixture of Peat 80 and Loam, put my plants in & have topped with very tiny pebbles to keep the water from settling around the stems, it seems to be working so far. My Gertrude Jeckyll's are now flowering beautifully.
Happy Gardening, Dianne
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 2nd September 2013, 11:58

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]    Dianne, may you enjoy your stay and I think we can learn from you as well....
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 12:08

How Beautiful, Thank You Neptune
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 2nd September 2013, 12:50

Hello Dianne, welcome to Rosetalk. Your garden sounds wonderful! You sound like a true gardener with a wealth of knowledge. I so agree with you about old style nurseries, as opposed to 'garden centres'.
I look forward to learning more about Birdscaping, Garden Design, Companion Planting & Organic Gardening, if you would like to share some of your knowledge, as well as your roses of course.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 2nd September 2013, 18:00

Oooh Dianne - I'm green with envy! You have a Gertrude Jeckyll as well. I just love this auricular. My Grandfather (in the UK) used to be very fond of these and had both sides if a long garden path, edged with them Beautiful! Would love to see a/some photos (hint)!! LOL

SueH

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 18:14

I will try in a week to send photos but I am not allowed for a week am I. As a Newie.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 2nd September 2013, 18:57

welcome to rose talk Dianne , another person that loves heritage roses like me
Smile
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 2nd September 2013, 19:15

Yes Jordan71, I do so love Old Heritage Roses. The perfume & shapes of the blooms. I am a member of Heritage Roses in Australia Inc. What about you.

Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 2nd September 2013, 20:02

Hi Dianne, I have taken this part of your post from earlier and do you mind telling where you trained and some of the places you worked, some people here might find it interesting.
"I am a Horticulturist with too many years of experience in the Nursery Industry - When Garden Nurseries were just that & the staff had the time, patience & expertise to help the customer"
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 4th September 2013, 07:44

Dimity Cottage wrote:Yes Jordan71, I do so love Old Heritage Roses. The perfume & shapes of the blooms. I am a member of Heritage Roses in Australia Inc. What about you.

no not a member there , thinking of joining up
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 4th September 2013, 19:20

I don't know if anyone is really so interested in my past study & working life but here it is - I have been a gardener for as long as I can remember, & love it - I started out in the Nursery Industry around 40 years ago, one of the 1st nurseries I worked at was 'The Yellow Daisy Nursery' at Sunnybank in Brisbane. I loved it there, a lovely Old Fashioned Nursery that sold everything. I had already been planting seeds since I was around 6 but when I was older in my first house where I could, I planted anything I could get my hands on. What a learning experience.
From Sunnybank I went to work at a wonderful Small Nursery in Graceville, whilst I studied. I went to TAFE at Grovely (We started at Ithaca then moved over to Grovely) part time to do a Horticulturist course for 3 years. Then loved it so much that I went on to do other courses through TAFE's & UNI's by correspondence & standard enrolments. I have taught Birdscaping, Landscaping, Vegetable & Herb Gardens, Cottage Gardens & Companion Gardening at several TAFE Colleges. I have co-Managed a Target Garden Centre when they first started up. Now all this was years ago before I came down with Ross River Virus, & to many Malignant Cancer Operation to think about (probably a result of not using chemicals correctly, when we didn't know any better or enough about their safe use, and a lot of the ones that are banned now).
I have been heavily involved in Garden Clubs, have been Public Relations Officer for Qld Council of Garden Clubs. A Guest Speaker at several Garden Clubs, Started a New Garden Club, Been involved in the planning & upkeep of a Rose Garden in Ipswich, Queensland.
And best of all I have my lovely garden here where I grow many, Old Fashioned Roses, David Austin's, & a few other Roses that have taken my fancy. I grow Hardy Geraniums, Phlox, Many Perennials, Violets & Violas, Auriculas, Grasses, Herbs & Vegies, & any Annuals that I need to fill spaces. You may have guessed I have an Old Fashioned Cottage Garden.
Hope I have not bored you to much. Happy Gardening.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th September 2013, 19:33

No Dianne, not any chance in Hades from my point of view. It is always nice to see/hear a bit more about our members. some are shy to tell much about themselves, but in my mind it brings us closer.
Well done on your achievements Thumbsup We're not worthy Clap  
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 4th September 2013, 19:41

All your achievements are remarkable Diane , can you put up some pic of your garden , would love to see them ...
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Dimity Cottage on 4th September 2013, 19:44

I would love to put pics up but can I do it yet as I thought I had to be a member for a certain length of time.
Dimity Cottage

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th September 2013, 19:52

Dianne, it is part of the forumotion crowd that we go thru. It is seven days from memory, it won't be long.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 5th September 2013, 14:05

Hurray!!!!! Mexican Wave  Clap  Woohoo 

SueH

Back to top Go down