» Winter Flowers
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:48

» Thornless Bourbon Climbers?
by rosebud 11th September 2017, 12:40

Pruning a weeping standard

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pruning a weeping standard

Post by AutumnDamask on 4th August 2013, 09:59

I'm trying to decide whether or not to prune my standard (5'?) weeper (Crepescule). It didn't seem to put out a whole heap of new growth last year. Last year was tough though with mildew and whatnot. It's been in the ground about 5-6 years? I expected it to be bigger by now.
Wasn't sure if a light prune might help encourage some new shoots from the graft/s. Any new growth has been twiggy from existing branch/lets.

scratch 
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Re: Pruning a weeping standard

Post by Balinbear on 4th August 2013, 15:22

Our crepuscule is one of oldest roses. yet it has grown the worst. I really do not know why it is still here.

A few kilometres away there is one that covers a carport. Really annoying.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1449
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 4th August 2013, 17:03

Mine isn't a standard, just an untidy rambler that I need to hack to keep it in check. It gets the least attention but grows like a weed. I wish I knew how the gardeners at Flemington keep theirs contained so neatly. Gets a touch of PM now and then but doesn't seem to phase her. Maybe I just got a good one.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 4th August 2013, 17:05

Wendy. I have 2 bushes of it 'Crepuscule', they are getting on for about 8 year olds. I used to prune them for a lady and then she decided they were no longer needed, they came home with me, they have been here about 3 years, last Summer was the first of any decent blooms. I am wondering if it is that they need established root systems, settling in time. Is it possible your rootstock is a bit weak. Is there 2 bud points on it or one. When I was pruning these 2 I had learnt not to prune them to hard. You might like to just "tip" prune them. How would they go with a really big feed.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5146
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 5th August 2013, 06:14

It has 2 bud points.
I actually fed it last year (!). But I may have to use that liquid gypsum. When I planted out that area I used lime but I really should have used gypsum because of the clay.
I might tidy it up a little and then fed the daylights out of it this year. Laughing 
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 5th August 2013, 07:47

Wendy, I have never pruned my oldest 'Crepuscule' which is now around 8 to 10 years old. It's not showing signs of deadwood which would need pruning out so I have never pruned it so far. It's about 6 feet tall and wide with lots of flushes all year round. It's just covered in blooms at the moment. I don't like older plants that have been kept too long in pots and suffered growth checks. Young plants 7months to 2 years establish a lot better.
As David mentions it could be the graft not being well done.

I recently grafted your 'Sir Edwards Rose' buds which will be ready to send next winter. Perhaps I should graft you a couple of 'Crepuscule' to send with these if you would like.
Prepare a site for them now using gypsum, look at the drainage for no roses like wet feet.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 5th August 2013, 11:53

Just a question for you experts! My Crepuscule didn't flower much last year. Don't know why - maybe it needs more food than I'm giving it. Am going to try "Black Marvel" by Richgro. Was given a sample at a rose pruning class! Anybody used this before? Was surprised to hear you have blooms on yours, down here we are very behind, or we are where I am!

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 5th August 2013, 12:01

Black Marvel has being around for years and has being a advertising ploy.........its a low dose NPK and not much more(too expensive for what it is) ,.....there a plenty of other better fertilizers and cheaper ones on the market.....try Sudden Impact for Roses. A lot of rosarians swear by it......you can get it from Bunnings
neptune

Number of posts : 2417
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by SueH on 5th August 2013, 13:06

Taken in again!! Thanks Neptune, I didn't know it had been around for years. I'll trundle up to Bunnings again and get some Sudden Impact. Amazing what advertising does to you!! Embarassed 

SueH

Number of posts : 737
Registration date : 2013-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 6th August 2013, 10:46

One of the best rose growers here in Sydney always uses 1/2 the recommended quantity of fertiliser suggested on the label. Make sure the soil is open and the PH is correct.

There is a trend towards compost , worm farms and manures more now than ever before. Landline has had some very good information on these subjects recently.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum