Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hello my name is Lynette or zephy for short

Post by zephy on 16th June 2013, 10:32

Balinbear I am totally gobsmacked. Your roses are incredible. Where on earth do you source your roses? Heartening to hear that there are roses that will grow in our area that do not get the dreaded B/S. Cannot wait to get some time to quietly sit and study your lovely photos
Love to hear of more people moving to our poor little community. It is a great place to live and I hope your co-worker enjoys our lifestyle.

zephy

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2013-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 16th June 2013, 13:13

zephyr

Our plants came from all sorts of place. One of the more obscure would have to be the Elimbah Newsagency (they don't sell them anymore).

A lot have come from Mistydowns by mail order. Some we have grown from cuttings given to us and some have been swapped with ones we have grown ourselves.

A lot of the older roses grow reasonably easily form cuttings though with the wet we have had our success rate has not been too flash.

I suggest the first thing you do is perform a PH test on your soil. The experts tell us that you need a PH of 6-7 to grow nice healthy roses. Lots of advice would be to then correct you soil to try to achieve that level. 

However, ours grow well on soil that is down as low as PH 4. The highest we have is 5.5 though we purchased some soil from the local hardware that was close to PH 8. The roses grew in it but the colours were somewhat different. Even its PH has now dropped to 6 with the rain washing our a lot of the chook poo that was in it.

Our PH is mainly the reason why we have used Mistydowns as they use Multiflora for root stock which suits our PH better than Dr Huey which is used by some of the other nurseries. Actually that is probably not a correct statement. Most of the roses in our garden that we purchased have come from them mainly because they have survived the soil (and the rain etc) while very few of the Dr Huey budded plants have not survived.

Whilst we mainly have the older teas etc, we have found that some have not been able to survive the climate up here no matter where we source them.

I cannot comment to much on the modern roses as we have never really tried too many as they are mostly a bit weak to handle the climate etc without spending a lot of time on spraying and fertilizing. I knew a Solicitor that grew beautiful roses in Caloundra but he really looked after them. We rarely (very rarely) spray ours and fertilizing is also a not that regular event.

David Austins are the same. We had quite a few and have found they could not handle the climate. We had a nice Teasing Georgia but it was always covered in Blackspot and was only kept because of the yellow flowers. It passed away in all the rain early this year while some of the tea roses were virtually hydroponic as the ground was so wet. We only have one DA left (a Graham Thomas as it too is yellow) though its blackspot may result in its moving to a better place in the not too distant future.

So have fun with whatever you grow. Its all a big learning curve.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Ausrose on 16th June 2013, 19:26

Neptune you are amazing! That's quite a wrap John.

Ausrose

Number of posts : 1318
Registration date : 2012-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 16th June 2013, 20:44

Welcome Zephy, I am glad you are getting some great advice for your area from
Balinbear. I look forward to seeing photos of your garden one day. You are certainly putting the work in for your roses, I am sure they we do the same for you.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy on 17th June 2013, 07:35

Thank you for the welcome rosemeadow and I will post some photos when I work out how. Have not looked yet.
Thank you Balinbear for that great info. I have a ph doohickey that you twist into the soil and read the dial however I doubt the readings, it is allways 6.8-9 7. Now my soil is all types mixed together and I add composted cow manure and mushroom compost. My husband is the vege gardener and even when he has added fresh cow manure the readings are the same. I am very skeptical and am going to buy another type of tester. Do you or anybody else have a preference?

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 17th June 2013, 08:07

Hi,
I use the one where you mix together soil from a few places in the garden.  Put drops of fluid in it and colour match the result.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by zephy on 17th June 2013, 14:18

Thank you for that Barbara B. Top of the shopping list.

zephy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 17th June 2013, 15:54

I think you will find it in Mitre 11 or the B shop, under the brand of Manutec from memory
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum