» Peony rose
by carmel 27th July 2017, 07:04

» Potted Roses
by Rosenda001 19th July 2017, 21:52

Rosa chromatella - any notes?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rosa chromatella - any notes?

Post by hariet~rose on 10th June 2013, 14:58

I am going to plant at least one plant of Rosa chromatella (Cloth of Gold).. does anyone have any experiences with growing it that they would like to share??.. I was reading that it can be feeble... thanks, flower
hariet~rose

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2012-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: Rosa chromatella - any notes?

Post by Ozeboy on 10th June 2013, 15:40

Have grown it for 4 years, very disappointing. Mine came from a very respected Tea rose collector but to me it's a dud. There are a lot better roses to choose from.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1670
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 10th June 2013, 16:32

thanks Ozeboy. Do you think it is the case that over the centuries the vigour has gone from the line.. i recall this type of thing happening to another cultivar, maybe it was Peace? Perhaps a build up of somatic mutations weakens the vigour?
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th June 2013, 17:48

Hariet, what is the interest in this rose if I can ask.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5138
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th June 2013, 18:35

Lovely flowers when it does flower. Very slow grower up here as well.

Giving it a bit more time though.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 10th June 2013, 19:26

Gary, as a listing of Tea/Noisette, what would you think as cutting.own root type of plant ?
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 10th June 2013, 22:07

David

There is a belief that own root roses grow better and stronger than budded ones. From my observation in general if you have the right rootstock for your location there is not too much difference.

At our place Mme Franziska Kruger is an exception. The original budded rose does not grow all that well with a lot of die back. Our cutting grown plants are 1000% better. Stronger growth, more flowers, not that much die back (teas in general suffer from this after flowering. Some worse than others).

I am not sure what root stock our Chromatella is on. Anything on Dr Huey struggles up here. Our plant came from Mistydowns so I would think it is on Multiflora though I am not sure.

When I get a chance and if it ever stops raining I will do some cuttings and see how se go. Yes its raining again up here again. It started just after I finishing spraying weeds in one of the horse paddocks (wasted morning) and we have had about 150mm since then
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 10th June 2013, 22:23

roseman wrote:Hariet, what is the interest in this rose if I can ask.

Well, my mother lives in a nursing home in town and I thought it would be nice if she picked out some roses from my MD catalogue.. the idea being that I would grow them and then bring her in some flowers later on.. she picked out Cloth of Gold, Adam and also Celine Forestier. Cloth of Gold (i.e., Rosa chromatella) was quite popular in Victorian times (not that my Mum is from that era!) but have been reading that it can be slow to establish.. Up until about April I would bring her in a big bunch of my flowers twice a week .. have had to use silk flowers lately No
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 11th June 2013, 05:48

Misty's roses are on multiflora. I have done a bit of research on this rose since my last post, a seedling of Lamarque with 327 descendants and some beauties amongst them. What a lovely idea Hariet Thumbsup
Thomas' have it as well.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 11th June 2013, 17:36

Hariet, I don't think Cloth of Gold would have been propagated to that degree. It's poor performance may be genetical .
It might like the Armidale climate so give one a try. Might be the best $12 investment you will make.

Finding a good clone to take cuttings from can sometimes be difficult.
I have tried 2 clones of Scarlet Queen Elizabeth and all duds. Last year I tried another making it 3 and have a really nice plant which might turn out to be a suitable clone to take cuttings from. That's a rose that has been propagated a lot so may be suffering from too much propagation from less than 100% healthy clones.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hariet~rose on 14th June 2013, 00:37

thanks Ozeboy, i will order cloth of gold with that encouragement. . i find scarlet queen elizabeth quite interesting. it seems to be a survivor up this way- often see it as the lone ranger in unloved and abandoned gardens.what do you think of yellow queen elizabeth??
hariet~rose

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 14th June 2013, 06:22

For my 2 bob's worth, after looking it up on HMF, I am not a fan. I checked for descendants and none listed. The interesting thing is, there is only one yellow in the close relations. the rest are of pink tones. It was once said to me that yellow can be 'masked' by pink.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 16th June 2013, 19:37

Hariet, have been sorting through roses today and the most recent Scarlet Q/E looks good so this summer I'm going to propagate it. As mentioned it has been quite a battle to get a good one.

There is a rose propagator friend in our area who had them right along the front fence and they looked fantastic.
Unfortunately nothing left, could have been good clones as they looked very vigorous.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum