Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy Today at 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Winter pruning, lime sulfer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter pruning, lime sulfer

Post by betsyw on 20th May 2013, 18:12

However one approaches this, my roses are a mess. Uglywugglies, always are this time of year.

I plan to cut them all to the bone in late June. Can I apply lime sulfur then? If so (oh I am such a jerk), how do I apply?
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter pruning, lime sulfer

Post by Ozeboy on 20th May 2013, 19:08

Prune then Lime Sulphur liquid spray before the buds start to shoot. Spray the ground around as well. Late June is OK.

Warning. Wash out the sprayer very well after use particularly if made of metal.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1671
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 20th May 2013, 19:13

Plastic sprayer okay?
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 20th May 2013, 19:59

Yep! plastic OK.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 20th May 2013, 20:10

Betsy I know what you mean. That awful leggy look, losing leaves, horrible to behold. Some of mine are still flowering though through the cold and the rain.
I am not looking forward to the spraying of lime sulphur though. It stinks. Last year I bought ANOTHER sprayer (middling price range but not real big) and once again I found myself pumping, pumping and just a tiny drizzle would emerge, lasting all of about 2 seconds. I must be stupid or something, just can't get the bloody thing thing to work. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. Maybe another sprayer is going to get thrown to the ...well you know...

Just on the pruning thing, I've always pruned quite hard, as I learned to do years ago. Nowadays it seems the advice is don't prune so hard. What do others think? Your ideas please.

silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 20th May 2013, 20:22

Lime Sulphur is inclined to block the nozzle. All you have to do is screw off the nozzle clean the holes and grooves, then pull the trigger a couple of times. Two or three squirts of liquid out of the holes should be even when suitable to replace the sprayer nozzle cap. Mostly all that is required is to unscrew the nozzle give two squirts, clean the nozzle cap and replace.

I don't spray my roses except the HT's which look pretty neglected at the moment. In contrast the Tea roses are ever green and starting to bloom in flushes. Blooms are so rich in colour at this time of the year.

Ozeboy

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 20th May 2013, 20:48

Ozeboy, thank you for your help. I can't tell you how many times I dismantled the nozzle, in fact the whole thing, trying to get it to work. By then of course I was so frustrated that a cool rational approach was beyond me. I didn't know that lime sulphur tends to block the nozzle though. If all else fails I can always use my little 1L hand sprayer, would be faster and less effort than what I was expending.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1620
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 20th May 2013, 20:59

Ok Bety, your pruning time can be adjusted according to what your weather is like and when you want to have your blooms.

Use lime sulphur as soon as you prune. As stated above, spray all the canes and the ground area around the bush, and repeat this process two weeks later
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by maree on 20th May 2013, 21:31

Lol, Silky , i must say i can soo sympathise with you on sprayers , i have bought cheap sprays , back pack sprays , expensive sprays and i could jump on all of them , all have gone in the recycling bin or back of the shed in frustration , of course my husband says , " Well i've had the same one for years " men lol !! I have decided the 1 litre hand ones are the way to go and i don't wear half of it , like the bigger leaky ones ....
maree

Number of posts : 1733
Registration date : 2012-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 21st May 2013, 00:37

I'm with neptune regarding lime sulphur. regards to pruning, I have heard it said, if you prune hard you get less but bigger blooms, lite pruning will give you more but smaller blooms.
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 21st May 2013, 06:36

@ Paulh, instead of the lime sulphur, use the sulphur that you purchased for the mites, it will do the same job. If others have problems with lime sulphur they could use the same as Paul, hardware stores sell sulphur under the brand name of Manutec, check that out and see if it suits. You know me, our roses do not get any fuss, so ours do not get Sulphur, if I was I would go with the Manutec product and if I was going to go back in time to my father roses I would "paint" them with lime, he never had any issues with disease or mites.
As for the pruning methods, each rose is different and should be treated so. If you have a wimpy looking bush I would be inclined to hard prune it, trying to induce "basal" breaks from the bud union. As for the run of the mill bush, I prune to the bush as mentioned previously, but only leave canes that are of pencil thickness or better as this is the foundation of the coming Spring/Summer growth and are the supports for it.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 21st May 2013, 21:51

Yes Bruce the Teas look fantastic at this time of year. Makes you wonder!
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by paulh on 21st May 2013, 23:23

roseman wrote:@ Paulh, instead of the lime sulphur, use the sulphur that you purchased for the mites, it will do the same job. If others have problems with lime sulphur they could use the same as Paul, hardware stores sell sulphur under the brand name of Manutec, check that out and see if it suits. You know me, our roses do not get any fuss, so ours do not get Sulphur, if I was I would go with the Manutec product and if I was going to go back in time to my father roses I would "paint" them with lime, he never had any issues with disease or mites.
As for the pruning methods, each rose is different and should be treated so. If you have a wimpy looking bush I would be inclined to hard prune it, trying to induce "basal" breaks from the bud union. As for the run of the mill bush, I prune to the bush as mentioned previously, but only leave canes that are of pencil thickness or better as this is the foundation of the coming Spring/Summer growth and are the supports for it.

thanks for that roseman... What you say about Manutec Wettable Sulphur makes sense, the good thing to, is it would be more economical as well. Also for those who don't like the sulpher smell, wettable is the way to go.
paulh

Number of posts : 1065
Registration date : 2012-09-11

http://livingwithroses.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 22nd May 2013, 10:17

So Manutec recommended over lime sulphur?
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum