» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

600 out 800 isn't bad

View previous topic View next topic Go down

600 out 800 isn't bad

Post by rosemeadow on 30th April 2013, 00:08

Well I have finally written all the names of my roses in my garden map book. I had been putting it off. I decided to copy them in first and cut the labels off latter at another time as that was making me too slow and getting side tracked. I have roughly 580 different varieties I have counted up, 600 roses with some that I have more than one of and some un-named. Over a hundred I have listed as having died, some I took away dead months ago but I didn't list their names except by memory some as it was sad too see them dead that had been real beauties. Their was the 11 weepers and 4 standards that died too. The climbing Teas, Climbing Bourbons and Albas were the ones I lost a lot of. A lot of the older own roots died too.
Atleast 25 of Bruce's young roses I got from him have survived, and I only lost five or so of his, which is amazing as they got the dirt shaken off them, stuck in a shopping plastic bag, had the dirt washed off them and then sprayed and then put back into the plastic bag and then when I got to Tasmania stuck in water for however long before I planted them into very wet ground. It will be excellent to see them grow and bloom. flower
It will have to be a few weeks before I can post any photos, there is nothing to show anyway. It is exciting though as I know the potential of these roses for the years to come.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Re: 600 out 800 isn't bad

Post by neptune on 30th April 2013, 00:15

at least you didn't have to start all over again and buy new ones....
neptune

Number of posts : 2406
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 30th April 2013, 06:38

That's pretty good news Karen, moving all those roses from one Island to another is a big ask. Pleased to hear most of my propagated roses survived. The chip budding method I use seems to be work well and now have a couple of fans in the Rose Society since budding for a few of them.

Just remember to delete duds and add names of replacements.
Some of my 3 year old labels are starting to look faint so am using metal labels for anything being kept. Drink cans cut into strips then hole punched with a paper punch make great labels. The name is written on them with a pencil using a sheet rubber base under.
Warren mentioned he uses this method so thanks Warren it's a great idea.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 30th April 2013, 14:46

Karen, I remember reading of all your efforts to transport and then transplant so many roses. I was amazed at your dedication and sheer stamina. What a mammoth task you undertook! And now all that work is to be rewarded with new growth and beautiful blooms. I can't even imagine planting and caring for so many roses! Roses are tough plants but your care and love obviously take them even further. I look forward to seeing your roses when the time is right.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Alee on 30th April 2013, 21:13

Karen.... I am so happy for the successful huge task. Where are the photos.

Alee

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 20th May 2013, 18:23

Thanks for your comments, I did read them earlier and then got sider tracked with family history.
You are sure right Neptune !
Bruce, the label idea sounds a great idea for my roses. I saw Jenny's garden once when it was a Open garden and I think she had these labels you are talking about, just tied to a branch somewhere on each rose.
Thanks Silkyfizz, I am looking forward to showing next Spring what my efforts have achieved. Roses are tough, a great plant given to us by God.
Hi Alee, thanks for being happy for me. I will post the photos in Spring, I will bombard Rosetalk with photos.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 21st May 2013, 21:50

Karen, I use 150mm long twist ties to tie these on. Just remember to fix them high enough so the lawn mower doesn't cut them.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 27th May 2013, 23:30

Thanks Bruce. I will let the roses get some height and filling out before I do that. It will be nice to see a name on each of the bushes without having to carry a book around with you.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 29th May 2013, 06:29

Karen, any chance of a shot of the new garden, yet.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5119

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 31st May 2013, 21:43

Hi David ! In Spring I will start posting photos. Not much to look at now and I haven't been mowing the grass for months and months while I pay off bills etc. Its good though the roses have grown really well and the grass never gets too long.
I have a gardening job one day a week and the lady is letting me get rooted bits and cuttings from Perennials, lots of different bulbs and Irises etc., and some raspberries, black and red currants she doesn't want out of her two gardens. Also earlier we got strawberries and a re-shot bit off a Mulberry tree that had been cut out because it had been put planted in a too small a place. So that makes up for not being able to buy all these things ourselves yet.

rosemeadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum