Latest topics
» Has anyone had a similar problem with a rose......
by Ozeboy 21st November 2017, 09:59

» Sad second year roses :(
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th November 2017, 15:40

» what do I need to do?
by eileen0 3rd November 2017, 16:41

» Feeding routines
by carmel 9th October 2017, 10:06

» Two to identify please
by LouiseJB 25th September 2017, 16:02

» rose for sale
by carmel 25th September 2017, 07:46

» Anyone ever heard of this before?
by The Lazy Rosarian 17th September 2017, 16:19

» parole
by Malnewby 14th September 2017, 18:38

Using bark as a mulch?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using bark as a mulch?

Post by Bonita18 on 19th April 2013, 19:45

The weeds have really gotten to me. I think the sheep manure plus 265mm of rain in 7 weeks has done me in. After 11 years of mulching with lucerne or sugar cane I am looking for something more long lasting to put around the roses - in a bed of about 100 bushes. I know that termites can be a problem with one of the bark mulches. Does anyone know which bark is best. I know that there is the possiblity of nitrogen draw down but after fussing around in rich volcanic soil with the above mulches I really don't care much about that.
Please help me decide which bark type mulch to purchase.

My husband came up with a brilliant idea this afternoon to enable us to use Roundup in this garden. We have two very large and very wide pieces of korflute which measure over 1 metre high by about 2 metres long. We are going to hold each piece against the bushes and then use the roundup down at ground level in the no mans land we have created.
Bonita

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Re: Using bark as a mulch?

Post by neptune on 19th April 2013, 23:41

If you are using roundup in the space between the bushes, it will still affect the bushes......my neighbor sprayed her weeds on her side of a super six fence with roundup and it ended up affecting three of my bushes, which needed to be replace because they would not recover.....also had to replace the soil as well to get rid of any residue......

now as for mulch.....try pine bark/wood/chips.....its acidic and will help with the soil PH as it breaks down
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 20th April 2013, 06:24

Bonita, what suppliers have you got in your area, thats my first question. The other option is your energy supplier, they chip under the power lines, they might have a supply of older stuff.

The R/up/ Glyphosate issue is contentious one. If you go down that road with your surrounds I would maybe think of a mop or broom as this will eliminate drift.
The sheep manure is good, "BUT" what's the bet you have "nettles".
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5151
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bonita18 on 20th April 2013, 10:34

I think the sheep manure brought Nettles, couch, thistles, wandering jew and some monster with a tap root and flat button like seeds to name and shame some of them.

Thanks to those who have responded about the glysophate.
Our energy supplier do have free mulch but it has generally looked pretty new stuff when I have driven past their heap.

Bonita18

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2010-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbara B on 20th April 2013, 12:49

Hi,
best solution probably is to lay down five or six layers of wet newspaper over a handful of blood and bone sprinkled per square metre. Top it with redgum chip, a coarsely cut one if you can get it. The chip stays good for years. The blood and bone stops the nitrogen drawdown and the wet newspapers stop the weeds. Both our large rose beds are done this way.
Barbara B

Barbara B

Number of posts : 428
Registration date : 2009-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Balinbear on 20th April 2013, 14:06

"now as for mulch.....try pine bark/wood/chips.....its acidic and will help with the soil PH as it breaks down"

The proviso here is it will help your soil PH if it is alkaline. Makes it worse if you live on soil that has a low PH.
Balinbear

Number of posts : 1450
Registration date : 2010-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by neptune on 20th April 2013, 22:46

Balinbear wrote:"now as for mulch.....try pine bark/wood/chips.....its acidic and will help with the soil PH as it breaks down"

The proviso here is it will help your soil PH if it is alkaline. Makes it worse if you live on soil that has a low PH.

I'M bad......your right Gary...didn't explain it properly........[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
neptune

Number of posts : 2418
Registration date : 2010-06-26

Back to top Go down

Post by RosyTeesh on 24th April 2013, 08:51

We use red wood chips from Bunnings (but you can get them anywhere) and they have lasted a year and are still bright red and amazing! Wouldn't use anything else now .. And I do believe they are bug free. Not sure if they are bug resistant but I think they are.
RosyTeesh

Number of posts : 679
Registration date : 2012-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum