» List of ALL Australian bred roses on HMF
by martino 16th May 2017, 21:22

» Newbie Question - Blue Moon Rose planted in Pot
by Guest 15th May 2017, 13:51

Anyone have these?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone have these?

Post by silkyfizz on 11th April 2013, 21:37

I came across a new rose at a nursery, Emma's Rose. Listed as a Kurinda rose (Warragul). Looked lovely but I left it as I'd never heard of it. It sounds like an Aussie rose. Does anyone have any information on it?

Also does anyone grow Louis XIV? How do you find it in growth, flower, perfume, health? I've been told its almost the same as Francis Dubrueill (sp?)
How similar are they? Which is recommended?
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone have these?

Post by Ozeboy on 12th April 2013, 04:03

I have grown two different Louis XIV for about 12 years and found great variation. I bought in a plant last year hoping to get a better result. It can be quite spindly or twiggy and small, fragrance is wonderful. Not an attractive bush.

Haven't heard of Emma's Rose, could be anything as it does not appear on the Australian Registered rose list.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by jordan71 on 12th April 2013, 05:52

silkyfizz wrote:I came across a new rose at a nursery, Emma's Rose. Listed as a Kurinda rose (Warragul). Looked lovely but I left it as I'd never heard of it. It sounds like an Aussie rose. Does anyone have any information on it?

Also does anyone grow Louis XIV? How do you find it in growth, flower, perfume, health? I've been told its almost the same as Francis Dubrueill (sp?)
How similar are they? Which is recommended?

hi silky,
never heard of Emma's rose before ,sorry cant help you on that .. I have Louis xiv, have had it for the past two years , its not outstanding bush and foliage. good fragrance tho. very dark rose . the blooms aren't as big as Francis dubriel . good repeat tho . hence it is a china rose.
jordan71

Number of posts : 1699
Registration date : 2012-03-02

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th April 2013, 06:18

Emma's Rose. Listed as a Kurinda rose (Warragul). Silky can you explain this part please.
The Lazy Rosarian

Number of posts : 5121
Registration date : 2009-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 12th April 2013, 06:24

silky, here is the website for Kurinda roses ;-)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
betsyw

Number of posts : 1340
Registration date : 2012-05-01

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th April 2013, 06:33

Strange they don't have web site scratch
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 12th April 2013, 06:47

Well, they have a web presence, at any rate. The couple who own it (Dutch, maybe?) might be given to tending roses more than building websites, like many small growers. Sounds like a lovely place to visit in Spring.

If you do give them a call, silky, maybe they can tell you (and us) more .
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 12th April 2013, 07:31

I'm with Betsy. Smile

I suspect they are related to John Nieuwesteeg ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) who knows a lot about Australian-bred roses. He's the one who introduced the Dawson-bred 'St Brigid's Rose' that I have.
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th April 2013, 07:35

Yes Betsy and Wendy, My point is how do we find these niche growers
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnDamask on 12th April 2013, 07:48

If they aren't wanting to "sell direct" (with all the labour involved) and just want to supply nurseries and/or local market then they may see no point in investing in websites - unless they have a tech-savvy family member.
Not everyone is internet-orientated..... WEIRD, I KNOW....
AutumnDamask

Number of posts : 1360
Registration date : 2011-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th April 2013, 07:52

Not everyone is internet-orientated..... WEIRD, I KNOW.... I am basic savvy, enough to get me through
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 12th April 2013, 07:59

My personal feeling? If you're a niche grower in what is already a shrinking and troubled market, your best promotional route is the small but still almighty swing tag.

Your roses can and will sell themselves if they are strategically placed for people to see. Local garden stores, farmers' markets, etc.

Put a pretty plant in front of people, and they will automatically reach for the swing tag. We are a society of label readers these days.

Even if that swing tag viewing isn't converted into an on-the spot sale, your existence is now known to one more person who is cuirous. That's when a website kicks in.

And yes you're right, roseman, so where's the website to back up Kurinda? Now would be a good time to create one, for sure. Ditto all the other small growers who need a reference place for people to follow up their curiosity.

But I still think that it's the swing tag and the physical plant that are a small grower's most provocative sales tools. And heralds.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 12th April 2013, 08:06

Oh yeah, and roseman makes a really good point - these days, with so many simple website builder sites for novices (plenty of templates, no Photoshop skills or html coding needed) you have few excuses not to build a modest site that describes your roses. Even I, a tech fool, built a site for a friend who breeds Cavoodles, and I am a total ignoramus about the dark underbelly of algorithms that lie beneath.

It takes some patience, trial and error - but hey we're talking rose growers, right?
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lazy Rosarian on 12th April 2013, 08:30

Marketing is the thing we all see. One example of a rose nursery without a Web site is 'Thomas's for Roses' but they have been around for years, catalogue only, no eftpos, no direct banking.
The Lazy Rosarian

Back to top Go down

Post by betsyw on 12th April 2013, 08:46

roseman wrote:Marketing is the thing we all see. One example of a rose nursery without a Web site is 'Thomas's for Roses' but they have been around for years, catalogue only, no eftpos, no direct banking.

Yeah, and the (non-existent) set-up is an antediluvian pain in the a$$.

When better means now exist to serve your customers, why make things tough? They have a hard-to-find rose I want, but to be brutally frank, I don't care to give my business to a seller who has a regressive disregard for his customers' convenience. It's not quaint and charming, it's irritating and unimaginative.

Ozeboy has that same rare rose I want, and believe me, it will be a total pleasure to do business with him in a relaxed and contemporary commercial way. (And if he won't take my direct bank deposit, why, I'll meet him at Swane's coffee shop ;-)))

IMO of course. I'm sure the Thomases are enchanting people in real life.
betsyw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozeboy on 12th April 2013, 11:38

Glenorie Roses (Ozeboy) has been called a Boutique Nursery since started. Perhaps it should have been called a Claytons Nursery for I don't have a website but rely on Help Me Find to let genuine collectors know what I grow. No I don't promote myself or my roses at stalls and plant markets There's 45,000 roses listed on HMF and I have over 200
selected for health, vigour, breeding potential and unique qualities.
I have bought in stock via budwood and single plants from collecters and other nurseries. Unfortunatly the rejection rate is quite high due to viruses etc. It's expensive when rejection of bought ins reaches 25%. There are a lot of roses here considered lost and it has been my pleasure to send baby plants to the National Collection at Rustons.

I particularly like breeding and am chuffed when someone I have given one of my seedlings to contacts me to come back with a bunch of the seedling blooms and tell how they really love the plant.

Due to rising water costs I will be changing to field growing, digging to order at 2 years. I don't like those 3 to 4 year old pot bound plants or ones that have had a growth check.

To date my nursery has been a very expensive hobby but it keeps me fit and the plants attract more experienced gardeners with Heritage,
healthy moderns from the 1900's, and Australian bred interests.

I also do custom budding for individuals and other nurseries at $7.50 a plant on preferred Multiflora understocks. Unlike some others I have a best practice system in place to eradicate or reduce virus in the nursery. The Exhibition people have started to use this service but I won't graft known PBR roses.

Ozeboy

Number of posts : 1669
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

Post by rosemeadow on 12th April 2013, 14:32

Hi Bruce. I am really looking forward to next Spring with my line of your rare roses. I will send photographs of them here. I look forward into the future getting others from you, and its very good that you do custom budding.
I have sent you a Private email.

rosemeadow

Number of posts : 902

Back to top Go down

Post by silkyfizz on 12th April 2013, 17:00

roseman wrote: Emma's Rose. Listed as a Kurinda rose (Warragul). Silky can you explain this part please.

Roseman, this was the information on the swing tag. I tried to track the grower down on the internet but didn't get far as the only mention was part of Warragul activities. The nursery was in Healesville, so maybe the grower is only distributing to nearby outlets.
silkyfizz

Number of posts : 1617
Registration date : 2012-07-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum